Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
February 07, 2023, 08:59:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Coyotes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 91 times)
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:11:34 pm »

When I stopped for coffee this morning a guy was telling about seeing a coyote in his yard.  I had heard they were making a comeback in Va., but I never heard of one in my area.  Of course, he said by the time he got his gun, it was gone.  Why do people always want to SHOOT something?  Why not humane trap and relocate the animal?  Killing is not the answer. >:(
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

EriNes11
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:44:22 pm »

I hope he just leaves and the aspca doesnt have to get involed sometimes repeat offenders (atleast of bears)  they had to be put down URgh. Touchy subject stupid people killead a gourgeous animal.

BUt i competly agree with you there was a coyote in my neighbors yard so the put up a motion light up.  Its terribly sad that beautiful animals get killed.  I believe they cant locate sometimes is because of money.
Report Spam   Logged

BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:59:30 pm »

We have coyotes are in my area. For awhile (and probably still) we heard at least 5 of them in the woods at the back of our property. As long as they're not bothering anyone, they can stay, but as soon as they start getting bold...people here will start shooting them in our neighborhood. They are considered a nuisance species, and you can kill them on sight. I hope they never decide to show up in our yard...because myself or my dad will have to shoot them if they get that bold :(  Trapping would be ok...but our game wardens won't do it- they have said just to shoot them, plus, even if they are relocated somewhere else, they'll make their way back here, or become a nuisance elsewhere. They will gang up on dogs, cats, children, or livestock. We can't have that happening in a neighborhood. :(
Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:06 pm »

We have a hugh coyote problem here. They are very bold and walk right through the parking lot of the high school. Down the middle of  of one of the main streets in town. When we take a break out back of work on the night shift, many, many nights we have seen them cutting across the parking lot or you can hear them calling to each other. Lots of them and very close by.
Here is an interesting thing my husband told me. He was at work and a guy who teaches at the college was talking hunting with him. He told my husband that a coyote attacked his dog and other animals, so he shot it. I don't agree with this, but there was a rabid colony of them at the local golf course so everyone is careful and sometimes paranoid. He said he buried it on his property and about 3 days later he recieved a knock on the door. It was a D.E.C. officer wanting to know where the coyote was buried. He said that they have been tracking it and seeing as it hadn't moved in a few days, they knew it was dead. At first the guy denied it, as he thought he was in trouble, then finally showed the officer where he buried it. The D.E.C. officer whipped out a scanner gun and scanned the coyote.
He said ,"Yup. this is one of Prudentials." Meaning the insurance company. The officer told my husbands friend that the insurance companies release them into areas with a high percentage of deer / car accidents and the ensuing repair claims. The theory is the coyotes kill the fawns, cutting down on the deer population, cutting down on deer / auto accidents, thus cutting down on their repair claims.
I think its horrible. Not only do the coyotes end up in unnatural populated areas where they are targeted, but people lose their cats and small dogs due to all the hunting coyotes. I would never let any of my animals out loose, and my dogs are not even tied out. Me or my husband is out with them, or they come inside. Period.  The coyotes are VERY bold and show little fear. They have even watched small children from a distance, but no attacks on humans that I have heard about.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:50:59 am »

We have had many Coyotes here for a long time.  They are not that much of a problem.  You here them on the prowl?  Bring in your pets.  I think their reputation is a tad "over blown" and is a shame people feel they must shoot them to rid them in their neighborhoods, etc..  There may be times this is needed like rabies and such but other than that I feel is a little harsh.  After all, human population is the reason these guys are being pushed into populated ares they were never found in before.  I don't know..  It is a tough situation I guess! :-\
Report Spam   Logged
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:52:28 am »

It's a very tough situation! They're fine as long as they're not hurting anyone, but half the time they're around and you don't hear them, even when they're on the prowl. So you never know when to bring your animals in.  They were wreaking havoc on farmers animals for awhile- that's when they were put on the news and everyone was told they could be shot on sight. :( Thankfully we haven't had any encounters with them in our neighborhood. There apparently is plenty of wildlife for them to hunt that they leave all of our neighborhood pets alone.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: