Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
December 03, 2021, 10:57:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

something I've never seen before

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: something I've never seen before  (Read 354 times)
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:19 pm »

and hope I don't see again!  Wednesday my mom and I went to the hos[ital to see my dad, then to Petsmart, and then out to lunch.  While my mom was getting dog food, I ran into a girl I work with who also has birds.  I said, "I LIKe these, and we went to see the sun conures.  now these are separated from each other by a glass partition, and the two little sweeties were just as close to the glass at each other as could be, it was kind of sad. :(

Suddenly, one of them started pressing her butt on the glass at the other one!  :o  :-[the poor things!  they were trying to regurge and she was pressing her butt against the glass while me and my co-worker just stared amazed. :o

that was one hot to trot birdie!  i have never seen anything like it in there.  it seems kind of cruel that they can see each other and get all hot and bothered you know. :(

that was just so weird.  weird and sad. :(
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:34:20 pm »

Yep!  We have a place here (Pets Supplies Plus) with two really beautiful Sun Conures together in a small enclosure.  When I saw their price tag I was saddened and told Mar there is no way in hell anyone would buy this bonded pair for $1,400!  So they will be a part forever!  Just friggin sad :-[
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:37:38 pm by AdminBuffaloParrot » Report Spam   Logged
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »

sometimes they have only one and the cage next to it is either empty or another type of bird.  maybe that's why they look so sad when there's only one. :(
Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:02 pm »

I've posted on this before, not the horney part, but the sad part. They usually have 2 baby GCC at my petsmart, and they are standing on their heads trying to preen and be together. Its a real heartbreaker.  :'(
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:50:28 pm »

The store I just mentioned there is not even a glass partition!  So if there is one bird in there he/she is utterly alone! >:(
Report Spam   Logged
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:57:01 pm »

:'( Thats how the petco is in syracuse. Such a lonely life for these littl guys. They always have a baby sunny and a GCC, and maybe a pineapple and a few tiels. Everybody so close, but so alone. Not even eye contact there between them.  :'(
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:13:06 pm »

Awww :'(
Report Spam   Logged

zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 10:42:15 pm »

We have a new petco and a new petsmart close to me and they both have conures and quakers it is hard to see them it breaks my heart so now if I need something from one of those stores I go out of my way to the older store that does not have any birds, I know it is kind of stick your head in the sand mentality but at least I can go to sleep that night.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 10:57:19 pm »

Not all petsmart and petcos are like that, though... At my Petsmart, we have two pineapple GCCs that are in the same cage. We were thinking of separating them though because they were doing "naughty things" in front of the customers. I assume this is why the ones you saw were separated.
And our conures get lots of attention. When they're not with the employees, there are tons of customers that walk up to them and whistle/talk to them. They're not neglected or anything.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 11:00:28 pm »

I know ML2 it sounds like you & Lorek work at good stores, just not all of them are like that.  :-\
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 01:21:41 am »

well... while i agree that it seems lonely too... i don't agree with housing birds together without being sure they are going to get along either... so i am all for the seperate cages for the little fiddies.  for us as they are babies we are feeding we let them live together (within reason) but when we wean them they go to separate cages to be sure they are all eating enough and then to the floor in different cages so we know they are safe and no one can fight with each other.  i'd rather have two birds who can see each other than one bird getting hurt from a bit or playing too rough.  plus, they still get to hang out together when we care for them in the mornings and evenings.  yeah, not all stores are like us, but i think there's prob a fair amount that let them play together... prices in our stores are too high for us not to be making sure we have some super tame birds.
Report Spam   Logged

Canary Winged Parakeet - Kiwi 2006-2012.  fly high baby boy, i miss you.
Normal Green Cheek Conure - Tumbler (4yo)
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Dart (3yo)
Illiger's Macaw - Anduin (15yo)
White Winged Parakeet - Mango (2yo)
Normal Cockatiel - Apollo (unknown)

Raised in Pennsylvania... now living on the outskirts of Kansas
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 07:30:01 am »

ML2 and Lorek, a store is only as good as its staff. With you guys working there, I'm sure the fids are well cared for to the best of your abilities there. Just unfortunately, not all stores have such caring , well informed staff as yourselves. If they all did, wouldn't that be awesome? Thanks for caring for these fids and other animals and seeing they get off to a good start.  afro.gif
Report Spam   Logged

St. Francis of Assissi

"Sunday" Conure - Bella
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 07:33:48 am »

Ditto! ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print