Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
December 06, 2021, 08:41:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

~~My Christmas Gift To Me~~

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~~My Christmas Gift To Me~~  (Read 140 times)
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 26, 2014, 03:01:54 am »

As most of yua'll regulars here on the forum know one of my hobbies is various types of arts & craft. One of my favorite arts is pyrography, which in layman's terms if the art of woodburning. I have been burning art on wood for quite a few yrs using the very inexpensive woodburning pens that can be found in any craft store. These pens are heavy & bulky, somewhat hard to control and easy to create mistakes if not very careful. Up until a few short yrs ago they came in only one heat setting which was super hot. Then Walnut Hollow came out with a versatile heat setting made on the same line as a dimmer switch for lights. It helped with cooling your burn down and not scorching the design too much. But the weight of the switch made it even harder to handle, at least for me.

Well now I didn't know until fairly recently that they make these wonderful professional woodburning units that have slim pens built more like using a real pen or pencil. Fine details and much better control of the pen makes for a more professional finished product...I hope!  dmblaf As soon as I saw one of these online I wanted one. And I was supposed to get one this past October, but Jerry decided to find another reason to visit the drs and I had to put my yearning for my woodburner on hold.  sadboy3

So, fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. Jerry announces his monitor on his old computer is dying (it's only 9 yrs old, and a Windows XP!  roll ) I bought him a Windows 7 computer a couple of yrs ago, but he mainly just uses it to watch videos on.  slaph Well He seemed to think he was just going to run down to the store & get him another monitor.  oh Not so fast Bubba'!!  sad8 Until I can afford my burn unit, you don't get no new monitor!! Mama has spoken!!! :lol1:

Well, we were able to manage to get both and my Nibsburner unit came in Christmas Eve.   handshappy It has duel heat settings, the only unit sold that has that. Many have duel plug ins for two pens at one time, but only one temperature dial. This way I can set each pen to a different heat setting without having to remember what each one was set to.  thumb Haven't gotten to practice on it much, but the pens are a dream to hold compared to the ones in the last photo which are the old style burners I have used for yrs.
  :grin:

Nibsburner brand unit with duel heat settings for 2 pens

The 2 extra pens & tips I bought for different types of detail work.

Old cheap style Walnut Hollow and Weller brand burners

I have this book. The photo on the cover is an excellent piece of pyrography art.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:03:34 am by Nakia » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:18:44 am »

WOW nice  :grin: We have to see your creations
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:30:57 am »

:hehe: Sorry, Jerry, absolutely NO new monitor for you at the moment  :hehe2: Mama has waited far too long for this new unit and she is going to make wonderful things  wink1

Congrats De, I know just how long you have been yearning for this and I look forward to seeing your creations  :clap1:
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
jules
my sweet jasper
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 20

julie

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 05:39:59 pm »

Looks great De, and will make your crafting much easier. What better present could you get yourself  thumb
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 08:39:38 pm »

Thanks Ladies!   grouphug

I'm still at the practice stage of using these new pens. They are definitely much easier to control. I equate it to drawing with an ink pen or pencil compared to using a Crayola.  :lol1:

I will show my new creations once I have some. Haven't had too much time lately to work on anything fun.  sad8 
Report Spam   Logged
jules
my sweet jasper
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 20

julie

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »

Will look forward to seeing your creations De  thumb

I must start doing my cross stitch again too x
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014