Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
December 03, 2021, 10:42:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Maybe it's me...but maybe not.........

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe it's me...but maybe not.........  (Read 235 times)
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »

This was yesterday afternoon, but I had to kind of "mull this over" before I posted.  You know how, for covenience sake, you will go to a petstore you don't particularly like to just pick up something?  After all the places we went Wednesday, of course I forgot to pick up bedding for the guinea pig.  So, rather than go to Petsmart or the grocery store, I went in this little pet store that I really don't care that much for. [puppies in cages :(]  Well, I'd heard they got some birds, was expecting budgies or something, but there were 2 cockatiels who looked rather good, 2 African Greys who looked ok, a UToo who was ok looking, and a Blue and Gold Macaw, who, while fully feathered, let's just say he looked a little "rough" to me!  I have only seen a couple of these up close in my life, but [maybe I'm just predjudiced about this particular store, dunno]  But I got this feeling like "something is wrong here" you know.
  The lady took the UToo out and it was a cuddly, sweet thing, but the lady was rubbing her under the wings on her back, which, to tell you the truth, I felt was a no-no, and not doing this bird any favors!
  Also, I had to bite my tongue, though I did say "You have to be careful who you sell these to, some people don't know a lot about birds" or something to that effect. That was the only question she didn't answer.
  Now, I am no "expert" by any means on birds!  But I felt that the type of petting was inappropriate, even though the bird was young, I feel like it's setting the bird and anyone who buys it up for potential disaster, and the Macaw could have looked better in my opinion.  I am not trying to come off as a know-it-all by any means, but I came away feeling I knew more about birds in general than she did.
   The puppies there have always bothered me, knowing what I know now. :(
   I know this was long, just had to get this off my chest, thought for a whole day before I decided what to say, unusual for me! ;)
  Usually when I see beautiful birds that I don't see every day, I smile inside.  Yesterday I felt only sadness.  Believe it or not, I felt so ill at ease, I didn't try to touch any of them, tempting as it was.  I just had a bad feeling in my gut, I guess.  Poor little things! :(  I hope I'm not being over dramatic, but this is just how I felt.  Had to vent to folks who understand.  Don't know if I'll ever go back there if I don't have to.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:23:57 pm »

I know how you feel.  I kinda have to look a way if I have to go to a store that has birds :-\
Report Spam   Logged
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:18:06 pm »

I know just what you mean. There is a little petstore just down the street from me who has mill puppies in cages and birds as well. I've met the woman who says she's breeds all the birds, they have 2 macaws, lesser sulfur crested, CAG, pionus, and amazon as well as lovies, tiels, finches and keets by the dozen. The last time I went in there a GCC was there and came right up to me in it's cage. I asked to see him and I was considering another fid, before I got Morghan and this woman was simply awful to this poor baby, she was rough with him and putting him on his back in her hand very quickly and it scared the little guy. I was appauled! She also had a tiel that was not yet weened, the poor thing was asking to be fed from anyone who approached the cage. I asked this woman why she hadn't been fed yet and she said she just hadn't gotten to it and it was after 10am in the morning! I felt so bad for all the birds there, the macaws were showing signs of stress as well. If I was able I would have taken every bird from her that day, but that would have just given her the insentive to breed more stock. Unfortunaitely SPCA won't so anything as they all have shelter, food and water. The things that go on in these little pet stores are just as bad as the chain stores sometimes and sometimes they are worse. Needless to say I wont be going in that pet store again, I get way too upset when I go in there! It's always good to vent LB wether others will agree with you or not, keeps ones mind from going crazy.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:52:19 pm »

I actually told a store worker to not pet a too under their wings. The kid was showing off.. "lookit! this bird lets me pet him all over like a dog."  Made him feel like the bird whisperer. ...sheesh... git yer mits off the too!!  AAANNNDDD while at the local avian vet, (which I don't go to anymore) I had to tell a tech not to stroke Catania's back! "really why?"  Cause, had she been older, ye would have made her RANDY!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »

I'm sorry you had to experience going to that store. :(

This reminds me of when I was in Canada last summer, and there was an Exotic Bird store nearby. I stopped in a couple times, and the birds were in "ok" condition. I really fell in love with a pair of paradise whydah finches, but obviously I wouldn't be able to bring them across the US/Canada border. The owner thought that wasn't a problem, and offered to give me "special" bird boxes that slid under the seat in a car, so I could illegally sneak them across! LOL.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
EriNes11
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:03 pm »

Lol atleast they were helpful ML2 hehe. 

Loonz i know exactly what you mean there some stores around me i refuse to shop at just go there to make sure the pets our doing better.  Lol  i have complained there before and there probalby like oh no here she comes again but the conditions have gotten better so i might sound like a b to them but there have been changes =D
Report Spam   Logged

zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »

All you can do is hope and pray that they get bought by someone that will love them and take good care of them. Like Sophie said SPCA can not do anything unless it is really really bad, it sucks but it is reality.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:41:01 am »

Those that do not turn and walk away are those that will encourage change.
Thank you very much for being observant, They thank you....
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:44:20 am »

You know, I didn't see anything that looked in really bad condition, with exception of the Macaw's feathers, which to me should have been brighter and in better condition.  The store I always go to had one, and his colors were so brilliant and in such good condition compared to this one.  And this one looked kind of skinny a little.

I went in there partly because I didn't feel like going in a big store, but another motivation was to see if they had birds[I had heard they did], and well, I guess to spy a little to see how they looked and were kept.

Report Spam   Logged

EriNes11
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:08:39 am »

Giving some benefit to the pet store.  Maybe thats how they got the macaw and they havent had time to get it on a  better diet and such.  So maybe next molt they will look better the feathers.  cause you never know.
Report Spam   Logged

luvmycadillac
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 8

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:00:53 am »

When traveling by car its very easy to bring a bird into the US from Canada much harder if you fly. You would have had to get a vet to give a clean bill of health and to carry the certificate with you when you crossed off at customs.

I'm sorry you had to experience going to that store. :(

This reminds me of when I was in Canada last summer, and there was an Exotic Bird store nearby. I stopped in a couple times, and the birds were in "ok" condition. I really fell in love with a pair of paradise whydah finches, but obviously I wouldn't be able to bring them across the US/Canada border. The owner thought that wasn't a problem, and offered to give me "special" bird boxes that slid under the seat in a car, so I could illegally sneak them across! LOL.
Report Spam   Logged
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 01:13:18 pm »

I work with a girl who's sister does animal rescue for mostly dogs, and she frequentl transports dogs and puppies over the border. Same thing, clean bill of health and its a fairly simple process.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: