Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
October 05, 2022, 12:40:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

squirrels

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: squirrels  (Read 100 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:46:22 am »

the are annoying lil tree rats sometimes  hmm  now i've never minded them MUCH.  but they are GREEDY. they'll chase birds away from bird feeders. they steal all the food from it, more food than they could EVER eat, and bury it for later.... then the lil devils forget where they buried it!  slaph  so i put some home made squirrel deterrents on my feeder. to be specific, a couple 2 liter soda bottles and a sheet of plastic near the top. they got around it. so i added a couple more soda bottles. still they'd do this leap of faith from the tree branch and land on the feeder! so recently i added ANOTHER soda bottle, got a total of 4, got that hard plastic sheet near the branch, and now i put some soft plastic drop sheeting covering the roof of the feeder. so now the squirrels leap, and SLIIIIIDEEE right off the slippery sheet!  laugh

so this morning i'm ignoring the TV in favor of watching the squirrels run back and forth in irritation twitching their tails. leap out of desperation and falling to the ground UNDER the feeder. and then the stop and look in the window at me. yes, i'm serious. they do. you can tell that they're looking at me cause if i even move a bit they run. where when they are looking down or at something else i can actually walk to the window and they dont move.

do you ever really watch squirrels? they are funny as heck when their desires are thwarted. they get so mad running back and forth and twitching their tails, you can almost hear 'em cussing  pullhair

and it cracks me up!!!   laugh laffhrd
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:51:39 am »

We've discovered that if we feed the squirrels corn, they leave the bird food alone. My squirrels and birds get along much better now. Although, one of my squirrel feeders is a cedar box with a plastic front and it has a hinged lid on it. The squirrels are smart enough to open this lid and climb in then climb back out. The thin ones that is. The fat ones climb in settle down for a bite to eat then the plastic front pops out and all come tumbling out. lol
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:01:32 am »

yeah i tried the whole corn thing. didnt work they would go for the corn AND the bird feeder.  hmm  like right now i have 6 in the yard. one actually jumped UP from the ground to get to the feeder!  bugeye  i've never seen a squirrel jump that high! idk if they worked together, cause usually one gets on the feeder and quickly dumps everything out to the ground while the rest get it up off the ground and/or keep the birds away. so i'm not sure HOW he jumped that high but he managed it!  oh pullhair
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:21:53 am »

Oh, that would have made a great video!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: