Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
November 27, 2022, 06:42:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Interesting read regarding puppy vaccinations

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting read regarding puppy vaccinations  (Read 136 times)
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:49:13 am »

I have read about allergies in dogs & vaccines before, several years ago in fact. Cats can be allergic to vaccines also & die from it. I was told that by the breeder I got mine & my son's Himalayan Persians from way back in the late 1980s. She said to be very careful about the vaccines & watch our kittens closely after a shot. I read a few years ago that poodles are one of the breeds that show an allergic reaction quite often to vaccines.

So far none of my poodles ever had any reactions. My oldest Shih Tzu did have a reaction to one of his booster vaccines when he was between 3 & 4 months old. That was back in 2003 & we were on the truck my hubby drove. We were not going to be home when he needed the booster, so they gave me the shot to give Chow Yun when it was time. I did & about an hour afterwards he began to cry & whine loudly & it clearly hurt in the area on his neck where I gave it to him. We were somewhere in PA. & I called my vet. immediately. I didn't get to talk to the vet. Instead, one of his techs spoke with me & said Chow Yun was just a 'cry baby' & it would be fine. I told her, "No, he is definitely in pain & it is caused from the shot!" She told me to come in & I said, "No can do, we are hundreds of mile away from Texas." She said to keep an eye on it (DUH!) & call them again if he showed sign of distress. He did ok, but it hurt him for over a day & I was ready to find a vet anywhere if it had gotten worse. Oh and I know I did not mess up on the shot. I know how to give shots, I used to give my horses their shots & I gave my son his allergy shots for the 4 yrs. he had to take them when he was little.

I now get the necessary shots they need when under a year & the rabies shots since Texas is one of the states it is prevalent in. But I do not get them booster shots every year like the vets. want them to have. Mine don't go anywhere around other dogs & I don't handle strange dogs, so I feel that they are better off with a few years break between vaccinations. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: