Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
September 27, 2022, 04:14:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Education

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Education  (Read 247 times)
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:49:52 am »

Since we all know that training is more about training the human to relate to avian thought processes and responses, I have an extensive library dating back to the 1930's (its amazing that the parrots survived).

So, this past weekend Doug annoys me and I do what I always do when he annoys me: I punish a credit card. It annoys him, I get what I want, win-win.
Yesterday I received the first 3 of about 20 books that I ordered from Amazon (appropriate, don't you think?)

Two of the books are ones that after staying up until 4:00am I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone to have handy. The first one is "Parrotlopaedia" 2008 by Annette DE Saulles and Neil Forbes. 256 pages covering training, housing, breeding, anatomy & physiology, introductory overviews to several popular groups (this covers about 145 pages). The main reason I love this book is over 100 pages of avian health including an extensive A-Z list of common diseases, conditions, and treatments. Excellent stuff.

The second is "Breaking Bad Habits in Parrots" 2007 by Greg Glendell. This book is by far the best training book I have read: it breaks down the training process into the simplest components, emphasizes the change of thought process required for the human part of the equation, and presents information I never knew in all my years of keeping parrots.

For instance, did you know that parrots molt their flight and tail feathers in a predictable order? Or that you can repair a bird's clipped feathers by splinting donor feathers from the same species until the next molt thus allowing the bird flight?

If there is interest, I will post more recommendations as they come in
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »

They sound like very interesting books, I'll have to look for them.  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:58 pm »

cool beans!   thumb
Report Spam   Logged

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »

You can find both on Amazon used from $2.50 each
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:05:56 pm »

Breaking Bad Habits in Parrots I have, good book  thumb  Good info and it is good you shared.  My Mom in law just sent me a book yesterday.  It is Charcuterie the craft of salting, smoking and curing.  :party:  I know, off topic  ashamed
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »

It all comes back to smoking D. Charcuterie is rising in popularity after many years out of favor. You're a trendsetter!
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:59:32 pm »

It is coming back.  And it is an art.  If more knew how easy it really is to cure your own bacon, hams, sausages, corned beef etc they would realize how much $ they are saving, how much better tasting it is, and how much better it is for you.  Curing, smoking, and pickling have been around from the beginning it is time to go back.. well I am  monster
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:33:47 am »

slaph d and his smoker...mar, hun, i'm soooo sorry for you.  hmm

i also have 'breaking bad habits in parrots' and agree, its a great book. i'll hafta check out that other one, sounds interesting.  thumb

i LOVE your 'retaliation' techniques.  laugh laffhrd

if ya dont have it, Parrot Problem Solver  is a GREAT book to help us humans understand the natural aggression of our dear feathered friends.
I'm very interested to hear bout the books ya get. i'm waiting patiently.  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:06 am »

Thanks for the info and insight on the books :)  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: