Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 10:56:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Considering a new bird...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering a new bird...  (Read 97 times)
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:36:38 am »

Now that things have settled down I am considering getting a Grey. Now I don't know FOR SURE yet, and that's why I am asking you guys, especially those that own grey's. Now that I have a job, I have some extra money, and I want a bird that I can harness train as well as have another bird that can do therapy WITH Rodney. I know I would have to get a young one to harness train...but I dunno if I SHOULD ya know? I don't wanna go out on a whim and end up having my hands full especially when Todd goes to court. SO maybe I should wait a little longer. But I think if I'm gonna wait a bit, I want to get as MUCH information that I can. I knwo i can handle it, but I'm not sure if i SHOULD.
SO here are my questions. YES I know Grey's are smart, but are they nippy? Would harness training and training for Therapy be too much for a grey? Especially a young one. Would a grey be OK with Peanut and Rodney? What are most Grey's personalities like?
Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:50:57 am »

Greys are not known to be nippy but they are known to be a little skittish.  But if you get a youngin and he is introduced to new situations all the time he may be more tolerant.  Like look at Cocoa vs Zuri and Zimba.

As far as harness training, every fid is different, you know that.  I personally would not put him together on the same play surface as Rod or Nut, the size difference is too great for me to be comfy with .  A debeaking, or loss of a toe or foot can happen in a second.  I would not chance that.
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »

Please don't take offense here. I think you should wait until you have everything settled and have an emergency fund set up for vet visits. A complete new bird exam is very expensive, about $500.00 and should be done BEFORE you bring your new friend home and put it into quarentine.

Each AG is different, but they all are on the timid side by nature. Harness traing an older bird takes the same amount of time as a young one, you just have to be patient and end training sessions on a good note. Greys also have a nasty bite, they slash skin open like a knife or will pierce with their pointy beaks. Their nails also grow fairly quickly and they sharpen them to points as soon as you clip them.

IMO, a Tiel would make a wonderful therapy bird beacuse they are small enough to be held and/or petted (and we know how people are always wanting to hold/pet our birds). Most tiels are willing to meet and greet new people and harness training them is super easy. They can draw blood, but not as likely as most bigger birds or smaller conures, quakers, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:55 pm »

Sondra, you don't have to worry about offending me! Im here to ask ADVICE, and constructive critisism is what I'm looking for. See as ya'll are saying that they are skittish, I think Sondra is right...but I will feel bad getting another tiel since I recently rehomed Bilbo, Corby, and Budgie. Maybe another Sennie? Nooo, I will feel to bad about Rodney LOL! I dunno...still thinking about it
Report Spam   Logged

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
I MISS YOU COOPER!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

Search Webmaster Windows User
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:46:00 pm »

Take Oscar! :P Oh wait, he hates harnesses... Maybe not then. LOL. I tried harness training Oscar when he was young but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it on him. But then again Cocoa does great with hers. Just depends on the grey I guess.

I've found that since I brought Oscar to many many places and had lots of strangers hold him, he's a bit calmer than many other greys. Yet he still freaks out at some of the slightest things, which I think every grey will do to some point. But you could hopefully minimize this by getting a just-weaned baby.

Have you thought of a pionus? Ed's blue-headed pionus (Rio, below) gave me a great first impression on the species as he steps up onto anybody once he's out of his cage. He's pretty quiet too. Also pionusi (my made-up word for the plural form of pionus LOL) are closer in size to Rodney. But then again a timneh grey would be roughly the same size.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »

My opinion may not be what you want to hear so please do not be offended.

My first thought was, Space, do you have space? I am not bashing you for finding the other fids homes but if the reason you gave them up was for space then you probably don't have room for a grey. They require lots of space because they need a big cage.

Also greys are highly emotional birds, very easily stressed. If you are stressed they can feel it and then they become stressed too. A grey needs a lot of attention and girl let me tell you, you think Nut can scream....have ya ever heard Fawkes scream like a kid? Any little change can set off plucking with some greys. So, say you move form Todd's someday...you need to take steps to prepare the bird for a move. A grey also needs to be challenged constantly. So new foraging toys get really expensive...they figure them out so fast.

I am by no means trying to say you shouldnt get a grey because they really are amazing and I would not trade Fawkes for anything in this world. Just make sure you are ready for everything a grey needs if you decide to take one on. Good luck girl.
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

Good feedback and advice from all I must say.  If I would say anything it would be a GCC.  On the other hand you have been in your situation for a very short time.  What if you and Todd and your situation does not work out?  Or you loose your job for whatever reason?  I am not saying these things will happen but this is real life and then you are forced to re home again if it does.  My opinion is to give everything much more time before such a decision.  I hope you understand. peace 
Report Spam   Logged
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »

You know, I think you guys are right. THings can change in the nick of time, and ya never know WHEN it will change. Peanut and Rodney are used to changes...but a new bird? probably not so much. I will take everyone's advice and wait a while. Ya'll are smart peeps and I will listen to everyone. I know it would be GREAT to get one, but I also know I might not be ready. The cons outweigh the pros, so I won't go do it just yet.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the advice, i greatly appreciate it. I love you guys!!  hugu  grouphug
Report Spam   Logged

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
I MISS YOU COOPER!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:48:56 pm »

ya know, i think it takes a very strong person to deny their impulses. when you want something so bad and you could jump in, its really hard to resist. i know its not quite the same but i desperately want some budgies. i have to keep reminding myself that it wouldnt be fair to my angels or the budgies to get in over my head. you hang in there, the time will come when all the conditions will be right and the right grey will almost fall in your lap.  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

Search Webmaster Windows User
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:34:32 pm »

have ya ever heard Fawkes scream like a kid?
Haha! I totally remember that scream when you had Fawkes over at my house right after picking her up from her old owners  laugh
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 12:09:06 am »

Britt,
Only you can know if and when you are ready :)

ML2,
I actually thought of that as I was writing my reply LOL!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: