Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 16, 2024, 03:05:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

who's a bird brain???

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who's a bird brain???  (Read 176 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:35:50 pm »

okay, i'm sure ya'll will agree toenail trims suck. i HATE trimming the fids' nails. it stresses them, it stresses me... it just sucks. so i've put it off and off and off and off... well, ya get the point. anyway, skittles has some  nails that have become not only needle sharp but somewhat jagged too. after he nearly punctured my jugular this evening just perching on my shoulder i finally decided to try a sneak attack with some people nail clippers... just to knock the tips off. so i go up and ask "can mommy trim your nail?" and i gently pick up a toe. he yells "NO!!!!" and clamps on my hand with his beak. doesnt bite me, but the intention is clear: if you dont stop i'm gonna bite you. so i say "please baby? your nails are sharp and they hurt momma. i promise it wont hurt. i'll be real careful." i slowly put the tip of the nail in the clipper and snip. no problems. skittles just looks at the clippers and his toe as i do the next toe. then i go to get two toes on his other foot.... same thing he yells "NO!!" and grabs my hand. so again i make the promise and slowly snip the nail. i get two of the sharp nails on that foot before he finally looses patience with this little project. but i'm convinced he understood not only my intentions but my promise. and i'm pleased to note, that it isnt nearly as painful to let him perch on me anymore. still need some more work. but hey! its progress. as i type he's asked me several times "that's a good birdie??" to which i've responded "yes! skittles is a very good birdie!! momma loves the birdie!"  loveuk
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »

AWWW...*melt* good birdie indeed!  I hate the whole nail trimming thing. I tried it a few times, but their footsies are soo tiny and fragile... nah... not for me... I dont mind paying the vet to do it. As good as she is, she has her assistant hold them while she works on the nail. Just too tiny. I say kudos to folks that successfully trim their boids. So kudos, Toezie  clap
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28:21 pm »

i would happily pay someone to trim my fids' nails if i had anyone i trusted. the vet i used to use is no longer on my list of people to trust. first of all, the one time i let them trim marley's nails i specifically said i didnt want his nails cut to the quick. they said they were too long and needed to be cut down and it would probably cut to the quick on some. well, i feel they didnt even attempt to stay away from the quick. so i do it myself. it hurts like heck when i cut my fingernails to the quick and i dont spend 24/7 on my hands. so i can only imagine the discomfort the fids feel. i would rather their nails be a bit too long and ease them back slowly than cutting them all down. Drew usually helps me with the fids but eventually he will move on with his life and i have to come up with a way to do it without help. so this was our first steps to nail trims on our own.
as far as the tiny foot thing? well, skittles toe is bigger around than your little fiddies' whole ankles! lol!
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: