Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 16, 2024, 01:44:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

still impressed with the aviator

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: still impressed with the aviator  (Read 272 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:43:02 pm »

Yup, everytime we use it, it gets easier. Thank goodness! lol! Today i held the harness up to skittles as he was sitting on his totem pole, well out of my reach. I asked him if he wanted to "go bye bye?"  my goal was to give him a choice, to see if he was afraid of the harness and to let him come to me if he wanted to put it on.  His eyes started pinning and he ran around the top of the totem pole and the top of the cage for about  30 seconds, saying "go bye bye?" over and over to me. I think he was considering if he understood me correctly. So he comes to me, and i go to put him on the table, he wants to put it on in my lap. so, of course since skittles almost always gets what he wants,  dmblaf  , we put the harness on in my lap. he was still a bit nervous about the harness going over his face, so i cupped my hand around his eyes and slid it right on over. it worked like a charm. he patiently waited for me to  get it situated. and outside we went. we went for several walks, by the third time we left our yard he was saying to me "take a rock?"  dmblaf    i'm thinking he meant "take a walk." i havent taken any pics yet, but by our next outing i should be comfortable enough to take the camera with me. up til now, i wanted to focus on him. when we first got out, he started flapping like crazy as the wind blew through his  feathers. Its bright, warm, and very sunny out. Was a great day for outside time. (hmmmm, he just lost a flight feather, wonder if there's a connection?)  we spent an hour outside, getting lots of sunshine and fresh air. The pollen was beginning to get to his poor allergies, so it was time to come in. he stood on the table and chattered at me in his macaw mumle as i loosened the harness. he didnt argue a bit when i pulled his wings out. and when i took the head hoop over his face, he did very well.  just a little squawk. i think both he and i are getting better at the harness. he is realizing that its not gonna hurt him and i'm just getting less clumsey.

It took a while to get him used to it and not afraid. But i'm glad i followed the dvd and took my time getting him used to it. it was well worth it.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:54:49 pm »

I'm glad it's getting easier for both of you. Has he been on the grass yet?
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:56:36 pm »

the first day he went out he got on the ground, but hasnt since. i offer it every outing, but he is still feeling a bit too insecure, i think.

now to get back to working with marley and his harness. since i had the success with skittles i've kinda fallen down on the job with marley.  ashamed
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

Take a rock?!   laffhrd  How cute!
HW hates when i put him down on the grass or the concrete.   dknow 
I am glad you are getting more comfy cuz I WANT PICTURES!  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:13:20 pm »

Powder asked for a rock also one day, so I gave him one. Now he'll walk around the grass, or driveway, or along the side of the road picking up rocks and throwing them!  hardlaf

Maybe since you have had such good luck getting Skittles to enjoy the harness and walks he'll show the others how it's done.
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:38:16 pm »

rome wasn't built in a day, so one bird at a time is fine!! don't be so hard on yourself, you have made awesome progress in a very short time!!! this also gives marley time to see it won't hurt him, and when you take skittles out he comes back

it won't be long until he shocks you by asking for rocks too  dmblaf

can he have a quick bath to help wash off the pollen when you come in? that might make him more comfortable?  think
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »

Quote:
can he have a quick bath to help wash off the pollen when you come in? that might make him more comfortable?   

Good idea Wishy! A real good soaking would help in washing the pollen off but isn't feasable everyday, but taking several wet cloths/paper towels and wiping him down would help (don't reuse the same cloth/towel so as not to add more pollen to him), use 1 cloth per wing, 1 for his face, 1 for the back and 1 for his chest/tummy area, and 1 for his feets, and don't forget his tail - you might need two for that. I'm afraid spritzing him would clump the pollen and cause him to get more on his face when he preens and worsen his reaction.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: