Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:00:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

trimming the flocks wings

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trimming the flocks wings  (Read 499 times)
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Search Level 4
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

I had another incident today where Kiwi flew out of my room and started flying around the house when i opened the bedroom door to head in and say good morning.  Cali was out and i immediately ran to her and got her put in her kennel (luckily she was only a few feet away) but... it made me reconsider allowing the fids to be flighted.  I certainly feel it is healthier and i do think it is mentally stimulating... however... i am seeing it head towards a disaster with an open door or the dog being out. 

So now i am really torn on what to do... but i think i am probably going to trim their wings later today... :(  i don't want to, i love that they fly... but i think right now may not be the best environment anymore for them to be allowed to be flighted. 

anyone have any thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

Canary Winged Parakeet - Kiwi 2006-2012.  fly high baby boy, i miss you.
Normal Green Cheek Conure - Tumbler (4yo)
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Dart (3yo)
Illiger's Macaw - Anduin (15yo)
White Winged Parakeet - Mango (2yo)
Normal Cockatiel - Apollo (unknown)

Raised in Pennsylvania... now living on the outskirts of Kansas

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:47:36 pm »

We all have different living arrangements in our homes and when our fids are out, etc..  If you feel in your gut it is safer to have them trimmed then that is probably best.  I would leave a few flight feathers though, that is just my opinion but I am not an expert on trimming :)
Report Spam   Logged
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

Search Webmaster Windows User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:23 pm »

I'm with K&T Dad. If you do decide to clip them, give them the "show cut" where you leave the first couple primaries intact. Makes their wings look nicer, in my opinion. It's what I've done with the macaws.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:12:53 am »

How about putting Cali outside before you enter your bird room in case someone fly out again?
Well it is hard to say only you know your house and what will work but it does suck if you have to trim their wings, I cried last time I got Zims done but she is so clumsy she flew into the wall a couple of times and I was so afraid she was going to hurt herself so I had her trimmed. I would say if you are going to do it like Dad & ML2 said just trim a little. Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:55:16 pm »

I crate my dogs whenever the fids are out. I don't trust either one of them, love them, but don't trust them.
  Jade I had trimmed at the vet. He went ahead and did a severe trim. So now when she tries to fly, she drops like a rock. I don't like it. I am so afraid she will get hurt falling. When she is out on her cage, I stand close by incase she decides to take off. After her feathers grow back, I am thinking of seeing how she does full flighted. She was never out at her other home, and flying is a whole new ballgame, but she watches Buddy and you can tell she would love a little fly around. Buddy flies like a WW II flying ace.  He banks,and flies through the whole house and can land on a dime - he is awesome. I think it would break his little spirit to ground him. So, I put up window clings, keep mini-blinds down and let him go. If Jade flighted doesn't work, I think the modified trim idea is great.
 Its so hard to decide. If they got hurt flying, I would never forgive myself. But to see Jade watch Buddy, you can telll she wants it so bad. When Buddy takes off and starts squaking at the top of his lungs, you just know its quaker for "YAHOO!!!!!"
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »

The "Dropping" like a rock thing is why I don't clip my flocks wings anymore.  With our situation, I feel it is much safer for them to be fully flighted because of that.  Just some food for thought ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:05:07 pm »

Like I said - I hate it and it scares me. I think we will do the trial run with flying.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
EriNes11
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 19

Windows User Level 4 Combination
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »

Im sorry jadesmom you have to make this hard decision.  To bad dogs and birds just dont get along andcats would make life so much easier.  with mystic i use to clip her wings the show way like stated already.  Cheerio I havent clipped.  Best of luck with your decision making and Im certian your decision will be best for your flock!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: