Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:21:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Foraging!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foraging!  (Read 275 times)
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:32:55 pm »

Training your bird to forage is super easy and fun!

For large birds you can start with their food bowls. Simply put foot toys in on top of their food every time you put pellets in their bowls. They will have to remove the toys to get to their food. To encourage even more foraging place a pie tin Not a non-stick one) in their cage with river rocks in it and sprinkle their pellets and treats in among the river rocks, just be sure to use a metal pie tin. To make things more interesting you can put treats in vine balls and place in with the river rocks.

For all birds you can put treats and pellets in medicine cups and fold the tops over, use flatbottomed ice cream cones and put shredded paper in along with treats and pellets. Cut holes in the cones and stuff nuts and pellets in the holes. Take almond butter and spread around the outside of the come and roll in seed and pellets for the small birds, punch a hole in the cone, string and hang. Anything that has a a hollow area can be turned into a foraging toy, simply fill the hollow with almond butter and give to the bird, or hang.

Grass mats, woven mats, fans, etc can be made into foraging toys for all birds. Fold the mat in half, stuff with shredded paper or shredded raffia adding nuts, pellet, treats, tie with raffia, or leather, or sew together with hemp and either hang or give as a foot toy.

Hollowed out babmbo makes a good foraging toy, as does loofa. Simply take a loofa, add a circle of wood with a hole drilled in the center, a length of hemp, or leather to run the length of the  loofa and extra to hang the loofa, fill the loofa with pellets, nust, dried fruits, place another wooden circle on the other end with a hole drilled in it , run the leather or hemp, tie it off, and hang. You can cut slits in the outside and stuff some nuts or pellets in the slits,
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:57:28 pm »

Super info! I was just filming my little yellow duck sitting in her blue pond (sitting duck?) and once she was done with her little wading she and Pipz began their afternoon foraging. *deb runs to upload*
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:23 pm »

Very good stuff! thumb  I will just add another one here.  If you ever cook with peppers (bell or hot) slice around the core where the seeds are and keep it intact.  I place this on the bottom of their cages and they love foraging all the fresh pepper seeds and little bites of pepper.  Also sometimes I will get those mini boxes of raisins and fill them with nuts, raw pasta, dried fruits/veggies etc and then close the box back up.  Kito just loves to hold this in his hand and shred the box to get the goodies :twirl:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:14:46 pm by AdminBuffaloParrot » Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »

I get the rasin boxes now too and all love them!  After I saw Kito having fun, I figured it was worth the try!

Mine love vine balls stuffed with toys and treats.  Also the grapevine wreaths make fun forraging toys, nuts and nutraberries can be held in there nicely as can pop sticks.

Yoshi loves his cups, that is his fav forraging toys, well those and when I take white tissue paper and wrap a treat like a hard candy.  lol
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »

Just be careful with the vine balls.  Remember when Squiggy tore his up and ended up having a part of it wrapped around his neck? slaph  The link http://buffaloparrot.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,5885.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:44:56 pm »

you can also use chinese finger traps to stuff. Stuff wiffle balls of all sizes. Stuff pinecones (make sure they have been baked in the oven and are sap free!) with almond butter and roll in seeds, or pellets, popcorn, dried fruits and veggies & hang!

One thing I do not use is paper towel rolls or toilet paper rolls because of the glue used in/on them. I'm not taking a chance that it may be toxic to my birds.
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:00 pm »

If you have a lory or lorikeet, or any bird that likes fruit, check the frozen section of your supermarket. You'll probably find an assortment of frozen mango, pineapple, berries etc. Place these in a wiffle ball or suitably sized toy that makes for wonderful environmental enrichment, keeps those cunning little brains active, and wards of the hot days of spring, summer, fall and all but 3 days of winter. Make sure that you monitor to make sure its getting eaten and not hidden somewhere you'll find in a few days when it grows hair
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: