Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:09:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

just curious

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: just curious  (Read 488 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 06:39:08 pm »

dont you worry patti. as you can see from the responses, everyone it different. its even different with different birds in the same house! that lady at the bird show was trying to sell toys! plain and simple. that's not a bad thing, mind ya. everyone has to make a living. but dont you stress. you are careful, you offer good food, you let them get exercise, you keep them clean... ya know? and they are still kinda young. marley just started chewing wood in the last month or so. its a mating behavior, and tied to sexual maturity. to get him to chew, i started buying the soft balsa wood. he loves it!  he will pick at the thin wood slats, but the balsa becomes wood chips in a hurry. i just posted the topic out of curiosity. i expected widely varied answers. look at mine, marley's are changed regularly, at least one toy is moved once a week, and every two weeks i move several or take them out completely. on the other extreme, twiggy's stuff is only moved once a month at best. and then only to replace worn or unused toys. ollie only has about 3 or 4 toys in the cage in the first place and they are all very simple. skittles has one toy that hasnt moved in a month cause he loves it and plays with it all the time... his water bottle. some of the others, i just moved. so you're okay with your fids.  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 07:12:00 pm »

How people care for their birds isn't so varied as many people think. KNOWLEDGEABLE bird people all care for them with their health and happiness in mind, always trying to learn, willing to try new things, asking questions either of others or of themselves & then finding answers to those questions. We try to give them the best foods and biggest cages we can afford, plenty of safe toys-whether it's blocks of wood or expensive store bought toys, it doesn't matter because it makes THEM happy, we worry about them, and most important we vet them.
How often we clean their cages is going to be as different as can be, some birds only poop in one place, some are real dusty, others aren't dusty at all - everything evens out. Knowledgeable bird people will keep their birds cages and playgyms as clean as possible because we know that the cleaner their areas are the cleaner their air is and the healthier it will be for our birds. We also know birds eat with their feet which means daily washings of perches or more, depending on how messy a bird is.

I look at it this way, as long as your bird is healthy, vetted regularly (bloodwork done a minimum of every three years), they aren't living in a pigsty, and the birds are happy, then WHO AM I TO QUESTION WHAT YOU DO or how you do it (unless I physically see you do something potentialy harmful to your birds)?
It's always good to ask questions, to learn.
Report Spam   Logged
patti3birds
Proud mom
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 13

Soaring on the Wings of Love

Windows User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:02:56 am »

How people care for their birds isn't so varied as many people think. KNOWLEDGEABLE bird people all care for them with their health and happiness in mind, always trying to learn, willing to try new things, asking questions either of others or of themselves & then finding answers to those questions. We try to give them the best foods and biggest cages we can afford, plenty of safe toys-whether it's blocks of wood or expensive store bought toys, it doesn't matter because it makes THEM happy, we worry about them, and most important we vet them.
How often we clean their cages is going to be as different as can be, some birds only poop in one place, some are real dusty, others aren't dusty at all - everything evens out. Knowledgeable bird people will keep their birds cages and playgyms as clean as possible because we know that the cleaner their areas are the cleaner their air is and the healthier it will be for our birds. We also know birds eat with their feet which means daily washings of perches or more, depending on how messy a bird is.

I look at it this way, as long as your bird is healthy, vetted regularly (bloodwork done a minimum of every three years), they aren't living in a pigsty, and the birds are happy, then WHO AM I TO QUESTION WHAT YOU DO or how you do it (unless I physically see you do something potentialy harmful to your birds)?
It's always good to ask questions, to learn.

Well, the way I see it is that we don't stop learning until the day we get to meet the Lord.

Thanks again, Ladies
Report Spam   Logged

Charlie- Green Winged Macaw
Peyote Tomas- Sunday Conure
Molly- Sun Conure

All Loved and adored By me: Patti

Axel--Feb 08, 2008-Jan 3, 2011** For whom taught me Bird Love**
Rose-- you too my sweet girl Dec 27, 2011
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: