Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:49:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Holiday Safety Question

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday Safety Question  (Read 166 times)
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:17:17 am »

Because Thanksgiving  is almost upon us, swiftly followed by Christmas and New Years, what are some precautions you all do to ensure your birds have a safe Holiday?

We do decorations with pumpkins and squashes, freshly washed, this way if the birds get at them it's ok. The birds will get them eventually anyway. We don't use non-stick cookware ever, so no worries there. We also don't allow the birds in the kitchen while cooking is going on - if something burns they could get sick, if they get into something hot, they could get hurt or die. The oven is cleaned at night after all birds are in bed and away from the kitchen because fumes from oven cleaner can kill birds - make sure you put fans in the windows and air the kitchen out during oven cleaning and for a couple of hours after. NO BURNING CANDLES! Birds will want to investigate EVERYTHING, so I don't light candles - no burned or singed birds here!

When people come over I usually pay close attention to the birds. Some birds will do well with large groups of people, but most will not. I give them extra cage time so that they can relax, and so that we can enjoy them when company is gone. Most birds feel they have to be the center of attention and will  attempt to "talk" (be heard) over all the chatter going on. Some birds will totaly freak out with a bunch of company over, whether they like the people or not, so in order to make sure company and birds are safe put them in their cages and cover them or put them in another room away from all the people - no need for someonee who isn't bird savy to get landed on and freak out and you end up running for the emergency vet.
Don't forget, birds are like small children, they are going to get over tired with all the goings on, and they may get nippy. It is up to YOU to keep strict rules about touching the birds whether they are in their cages or out, make sure each person who comes into your home knows the rules and follows them. If you have small children tell the parents to keep them away from the birds, explain to the parents that small children move much too fast and have a tendency to scream which will cause the birds to be nervous and probably bite out of fear.
I'll post more about decorations for Christmas later.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:27 am »

Mine were all terrified of the xmas tree so no prob there and the rest are child friendly and thus MOST are bird friendly, the ones that are not are where the birds don't go anyway. 

As far as people touching, they all know my birds anyway, but anyone new I give the rulles to.  No giving them anything to eat, if you want to give them something ask me or hubs, or even the kids first so you don't accidentally KILL my bird.  Then give examples of things that they would not think would kill a parrot like a peach pit.  wink1  That usually gets their attention.

Lil ones that visit I always greet them at the door and tell them that my birds think fingers that are that little are like baby carrots and they will eat them haha.  It has always worked.  Yep scare the crap outta them, works nicely for me.   dmblaf  I never let the birds out while a party is going on.  They are too excited and that means biting etc.  Yoshi would love to come play, even zuri has come to enjoy chatting with them and wants to come out , HW did the same at my daughters bday party but no way.  i just won't.  If it was another family here only then sure, but that much excitement, I would be asking for trouble here.
Report Spam   Logged

wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 12:23:00 pm »

I imagined a Christmas tree with bird toys instead of ornaments... *happy sigh/wistful look on face.. wouldn't that be awesome?

I put Julian in his night cage if guests act up, LOL I just take the cover off and add toys.  thumb

Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:41:44 pm »

Christmas - Trees, are OK, IF they do not tounge them. Many real trees are sprayed with pesticide so ask if they have been treated, and artifical trees can kill a bird if they ingest any of the "green needles". Tinsel is a definite NO-NO because a bird can not digest nor pass tinsel. Watch your electric light cords and any other electrical cords you have at this time of year. Sap from pine trees will make your birds sick so make sure your tree isn't "leaking".

Ornaments are tempting for birds, all shiney and sparkley! Give your bird his/her own decorations in/on their cages and play areas. Use the peg type clothes pins and colour them red and green, or any colours you want, drill a hole in the tops of each one and string, or slip them over bars of the cage. They will chomp them and be safe. (don't use the clothes pins with the metal in them as the metal could make your bird sick - metal tox) You can also use cloth strips to decorate cages, or raffia. Don't forget birdie presents, wrap these is tissue paper and use raffia to close the gift. Keep tape away from your birds, the "glue" part of the tape could cause illness. Glitter is another no-no for birds, so keep it away.

Candles and plug ins can be wonderful for us during the holidays, but most are made with oils which when burned/used are harmful to birds lungs. A simple substitute is an electrical simmering pot of Orange peels, cinnamon, anise, apple pie spices, pumpkin pie spices, lemon peels, Lemon juice, orange juice, vanilla, or your favourite spice blends in water. This will keep your house smelling good without harming you or your birds.

If you are having company and you have room in bedrooms put your birds cages in bedrooms. This will give them a place where they can have quiet time. They can be brought out on playgyms to socialize with guests. Even if your birds know everyone it could get overwhelming for them and they may just need a break. Put a radio, or a TV in the bed rooms so the birds have something to listen to or watch and they won't feel so left out. Keep bedroom doors closed while the birds are in their cages.
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »

We do not get holiday company here, don't burn candles, and the Tree is off limits to the goobers.  All good here thumb
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:31:01 am »

-don't have company here that aren't already in love with/familiar with the animals, the big gatherings are NOT HERE! WOOHOO!
-I was thinking a bird tree gym thing with "ornaments",
-I miss my candles but I love my birds more...will those electric warmer pads work with candles?
-all cords got hidden behind the furniture when we baby-proofed...very annoying when you wanna plug something in, but safe.
-don't use tinsel. and the tree will be outta the way.
-are little potpurri crock pots with all those spices ok?

D! sondra! good advice!

Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: