Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:27:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Parrot/Bird Books/Magazines??

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parrot/Bird Books/Magazines??  (Read 171 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:05:04 pm »

I am interested to hear what bird/parrot books/magazines you all read or have read.  What ones do you or did you like or not like and why?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:22:41 pm »

LOL I literally have a stack 3 feet high next to my bed!
I get bird talk and sometimes it is good and sometimes it is redundant, I get birds USA every year (and sometimes twice! LOL)
I like birds and parrots for dummies very much (give it to me straight, LOL),
of parrots and people, eye-opening, funny and fascinating all at once.
Wesley, the story of an owl and his girl was amAAAAazing,
the Barron's version of Conures was good, the skinny Conures handbook published by Barrons was AWFUL, so was The bird that thought she was a dog, not impressed. 
The Well-behaved Parrot is really really good,
the parrot problem solver is also a good one. 
Ask the bird keeper sTuuuuuuuuuuuuunk. that guy is a self-absorbed moron. Martha Stewart blows too much sunshine at him I guess. 
THe guide to companion parrot behavior is also really good, (it is a companion book to well-behaved parrot).

the rest are Reader's Digest, smithsonian, various others, and Golden book field guides and a few budgie books. (Barron's skinny book on them was good)

I also bought Parrrot toys and play areas which is a neat book on how to make toys and playgyms out of all kinds of stuff that is relatively easy to get.
Alex and Me was good, you have to keep in mind her scientific point of view; and that if she got too lovey with the birds she would not going to be taken seriously. she proved to the world that birds are intelligent, she broke a lot of ground. and this is how she did it. 
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:57 pm »

Oh I have one that I realllly hated!!! But I cant tell you about it now, cause I have to get back to work.
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:24 pm »

The book I really could not stand is Ask the bird keeper by Marc moron..I mean Marrone This book is greatly advertised on BC and I think it stinks. He has good fundamental advice, but has a very antiquated perspective of companion parrots. I will gladely give this book to anyone who wants it. Just throw in the shipping and it's yours.  
Wishy, I just read what you wrote about this book!  So true..Martha does give him too much credit.
My most favoritist book is S. Blanchard's Companion Parrot Handbook    I've learned so much from this book as well as her other books. The Beak book (i think the title is) is another. She has such a wise well seasoned perspective. I constantly go back and use for reference.
The Well-behaved Parrot  another good one.
Parrots for dummies good for beginners
Animal Planet species books good for beginners I wound up with 2 copies of the cockatiel books if anyone is ever interested.
I have a bunch more I will post on tomorrow.

Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:06:25 am »

I have temporarily lent mine to a friend.  They just got a sun.  I am trying to get her here, she is totally clueless and I know she would learn a lot.

I know a few on the top of my head
The guide to Companion Parrot Behavior, Good Bird, The parrot Problem solver, The second hand Parrot, Parrots for Dummies, and Guide to Quaker parrot
I loved them all.

The Parrot Toys and Play areas is meh ok.

I totally hate the Parrot cookbook thing, anyone who wants that i will gladly send to ya too.
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »

Of Parrots and People had to be the most influential for me.  Parrots for Dummies really helped me when I first came into the world of Parrots.  Though expensive I love Parrots of the World by by Joseph M. Forshaw.  It illustrates every parrot species (and subspecies), colored drawings of all, and where they are from.  They even have a few extinct species.  I do not like the Healthy Bird Cookbook but did get some ides from it.  I just did not agree with many of their ingredients being bird safe.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

bugeye jawdrop madst pcmad

i just spent 20 minutes typing a response and hit a button... i dont even know which one... and it erased EVERYTHING i typed. ONE F'ING BUTTON!!!!!!!  bangdhead
okay... again

like wishy, i have a stack and a half of books. <tozie ran to gather them up once already so she doesnt have to do that again!> i cant find a few. i think they may be under my bed but my knees hurt to bad to crawl around and try to find them right now.

parrots for dummies. its my bible. it saved skittles from becoming parrot stew. it is a must for any new parrot owner. from budgies to cockatoos to hycinths, it is great!
the parrot problem solver. a must have for any parrot owner. the title is  misleading. its not just for problem parrots. it talks about the aggressive nature of parrots and how its not so much a behavior problem as how we respond to their natural aggression is the problem.
guide to companion parrot behavior and guide to a well behaved parrot go hand and hand. they are a must for any parrot owner. but you have to have them both to get the full benefit cause they frequently refer to each other.
those crazy caiques. overpriced. not really informative for anyone who already owns a caique. its all old news.
the healthy bird cookbook. like everyone else, i noticed some of the recipes arent really healthy. ya have to take it with a grain of salt... or rather, take the grains of salt out of the recipe. cause there are good ideas, but you have to use your head. they put too much unnecessary fat and other things. using margarine and butter unnecessarily for example.
the birdkeeper's guides to amazon parrots. not very informative. a better title would be a book about parrots with one chaper on where amazons come from.
the parrot companion. i dont like many of this author's ideas about proper parrot care. at one point in the book they actually mentions using a squirt bottle as a means of punishment.
winging it: memior of caring for a vengeful parrot who's determined to kill me. good. interesting. amusing, i laughed out loud through much of it. very reminicent of the little blurbs i write here. has alot about family and the dogs in the family too, its not just about the african grey they adopt. some good concepts like adopting a pet is a comitment for better or worse. but i also felt kinda sorry for the wild caught african grey who spends much of the book neglected. i dont think the neglect is so much lack of desire to care for the bird as much as the lack of accessable information.  i was able to relate to her more once i got ollie!
my parrot, my friend. pretty good. i got it from chance when i adopted ollie. kinda old if i remember right.
parrot tricks. good. has some good training techniques. i was able to put some of the basic ideas into use but i'm just not talented enough to get into the more interesting tricks.
breaking bad habits in parrots. ... i dont remember. i've looked at it and thumbed through it. and i really dont remember.
the second hand parrot. great! very very helpful with ollie. a must for anyone who gets a "recycled" parrot.
guide to the quaker parrot. great! remember, this is where i first read about the notching on quaker's wings. 
barron's book about macaws. pretty good. i think it was informative... i also think its under my bed.
barron's book about caiques. good. had a great birdie bread recipe.... i think its under my bed with the one about macaws.
alex and me. i dont know. i havent read it yet. i bought it. read a paragraph somewhere in it and started crying. so i havent read it yet.  sadbigeye
the parrot playgym and toy book... yeah, i have that one.... somewhere. that's not the right title, buy ya'll get the point.  i like that one. i've used it to make toys and some play perches... tho i edited their plans to suit my purposes.
i also get bird talk every month. the first thing i read is parker and pepper. great reading! lol! i think most of the time its pretty good. i wish i could get a peek at some of the older issues online cause they had some articles that i would love to read.

i really think i'm missing some books. but i cant remember which and my knees hurt too bad to keep running around and looking for them. <grin>

Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: