Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 05:50:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Planning a trip to Washington

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning a trip to Washington  (Read 307 times)
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:47:52 am »

Ok
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:39:20 am by chance » Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:11:24 pm »

Yeash..  2sadk there is no way  dknow  to come up with money for that trip, but I wish you and all that go good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:18:09 pm »

Yeash..  2sadk there is no way  dknow  to come up with money for that trip, but I wish you and all that go good luck.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:39:42 am by chance » Report Spam   Logged

wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »

BW?
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:37 am »

Maybe we coul dget some signatures on petitions that could be presented in Washington.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Level 5 Search Level 4
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:54:09 am »

Or we could just spend this money helping the birds... Isn't that our point as parrot lovers?  Why waste time fueling the ego of others... Spend that time, energy, and money on helping thE parrots
in need instead. 
Report Spam   Logged

Canary Winged Parakeet - Kiwi 2006-2012.  fly high baby boy, i miss you.
Normal Green Cheek Conure - Tumbler (4yo)
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Dart (3yo)
Illiger's Macaw - Anduin (15yo)
White Winged Parakeet - Mango (2yo)
Normal Cockatiel - Apollo (unknown)

Raised in Pennsylvania... now living on the outskirts of Kansas
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:20:03 am »

Good point lorek. Show them what rescues do and can do by helping those that have been seized from breeders. Why fight a war of words with more words and bring rescues down to the level of those who are anti-rescue? Yes, Washington is a place of gathering, a place in which so many hope to be heard. I am not discounting that. Send a representative or two to Washington with petitions, written accounts and support letters to be heard and use the resources that would have been used for multiple people to travel and accomidations as donations to these rescues who are taking in the seized breeder birds so that they can be better rehabed, receive more medical care and be that much closer to finding a loving home. Words alone cannot save these guys, there has to be action directly received by them to help as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:18:12 am »

I
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:40:06 am by chance » Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:49 am »

If you just continue to fix the messes made by unethical breeders, you are not changing the basic issue or problem. To just do their clean up does not stop them or their behaviors. That's like not seeking stronger and tougher  legislation to stop child abuse, just giving counselling to all the battered and abused kids out there. And saying "Hey, lets not waste money in Washington over these kids, lets just help the injured ones." Now I really don't think anyone would say THAT was a good idea. Same for the birds. There needs to be legislation to fix the problem at the roots. Many organizations and lone citizens have gone to Washington and actually changed things for the good. And it doesn't have to be multiple people . One or 2 smart , articulate people speaking in Washington with thousands of signatures on petitions, and pictures of the devastation and cruelty caused by unethical breeders  will be heard. Number one, most people do not realize the depth of the problem. We need to get the info out there. No one can help or fix the issues if they are not aware. To just continue doing what is being done...you are just burying your head in the sand. And no one is saying stop the rescue efforts being done now, just increase it to a nation wide much broader scale. When you just sit back and take care of one tiny part of the problem in your tiny part of the world, you don't foster any real change, just keep the abusers comfortable and the problem perpetuated.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

I am not saying don't go to Washington. I did not discount that in my previous posting and mentioned getting together petitions, accounts and letters to send with one or two representatives. From the origional posting a pro-breeder organization is mentioned for going against rescues discounting that birds end up in a rescue from breeders and the post makes it sound like the attack on rescues and the validility of them is what has prompted a trip to Washington. Yes, voices need to be heard and laws need to change but a plan must be in place first. Why focus just on Washington, what about those 1,300 total birds? No rescue expects to have 300 birds at their door at once let alone 1,000. If the trip comes from being upset over a pro-breeding group coming down on rescues make them eat their words by using resources to help those 1,300 birds directly. The rescues who take them in are going to need help with these massive numbers now, not later when voices are heard and laws change. Do both, help those current that keep being mentioned and plan to help change the laws. I hope voices can be heard in Washington, however I'm afraid that even with the advent of new laws those that breed in mass and are cruel to their birds will always find a way as greed motivates them. There are animals cruelty laws in every state and yet the cruelty continues in many forms. It is not just breeders but individuals as well. I think we would all agree that the majority of birds in rescues come from owners who have either reliquished on their own or small numbers to individual birds being seized for cruelty. Mass seizures of breeder birds are not an everyday occurence where individual relinquishment and seizure are. Educating owners on proper care is needed as well. You can try and eliminate breeders but without education there will always be abuse and neglect coming from owners. I think not only does breeding need to be adressed if a trip to Washington is going to be made but also proper education directed towards owners and laws that will put tighter regulation on sales and adoptions to ensure that someone can properly care for these birds before they are placed in a home, that they have the knowledge and tools to use when a problem with behavior comes up. A back up system in place for those owners that just don't know what to do when a behavior comes into play, someplace for them to go for help too.
Report Spam   Logged

chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:08 pm »

T
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:40:23 am by chance » Report Spam   Logged

sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:17:54 pm »

I'm not saying don't fight...I'm saying fight in general and help those recently rescued at the same time. The fight not only has to be against breeders who are cruel but against owners who are as well. The problem does not lay in the hands of breeders alone.
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 05:01:45 pm »

child abuse is illegal. but a man went to prison last month. he lived 10 miles from me. the 2yr old child is dead. and he's in prison. so?
that child is D E A D.
only the lawful follow the law. that's like preaching to the choir. i'm not saying dont fight. do fight. fight for all you're worth. but until humanity as a whole can rise above our own distructive nature, the best you can achive is damage control.
if you take our right to own parrots...where will the ones we have go? to the wild? no. to a governmental holding area. where they will be thrown into cages or "reserves". how would tish fare in that situation?
i feel your anger. i agree with your passion. but in your frenzy to act, are you  thinking it through to the end result?  chance, you, more than most of us here, have seen the result of man's inhumanity to the other creatures who share this country. so you have every right to be angry and frantic to achieve change. just think it through.
i would be happy to sign a petition against these breeding mills. i will give what i have to give, both time and money. but we need to think it through with clear heads.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 05:09:24 pm »

perfect .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:40:50 am by chance » Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:20 am »

Soph...I'm glad we agree that one is not mutually exclusive of the other. And anyone going to Washington if it happens would not take anything away from the rescue. I know for myself, I would foot any bills for myself....room, food, gas..... and I think anyone else would too.
Report Spam   Logged

St. Francis of Assissi

"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: