Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 06:58:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Planning a trip to Washington

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning a trip to Washington  (Read 321 times)
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

I am not saying don't go to Washington. I did not discount that in my previous posting and mentioned getting together petitions, accounts and letters to send with one or two representatives. From the origional posting a pro-breeder organization is mentioned for going against rescues discounting that birds end up in a rescue from breeders and the post makes it sound like the attack on rescues and the validility of them is what has prompted a trip to Washington. Yes, voices need to be heard and laws need to change but a plan must be in place first. Why focus just on Washington, what about those 1,300 total birds? No rescue expects to have 300 birds at their door at once let alone 1,000. If the trip comes from being upset over a pro-breeding group coming down on rescues make them eat their words by using resources to help those 1,300 birds directly. The rescues who take them in are going to need help with these massive numbers now, not later when voices are heard and laws change. Do both, help those current that keep being mentioned and plan to help change the laws. I hope voices can be heard in Washington, however I'm afraid that even with the advent of new laws those that breed in mass and are cruel to their birds will always find a way as greed motivates them. There are animals cruelty laws in every state and yet the cruelty continues in many forms. It is not just breeders but individuals as well. I think we would all agree that the majority of birds in rescues come from owners who have either reliquished on their own or small numbers to individual birds being seized for cruelty. Mass seizures of breeder birds are not an everyday occurence where individual relinquishment and seizure are. Educating owners on proper care is needed as well. You can try and eliminate breeders but without education there will always be abuse and neglect coming from owners. I think not only does breeding need to be adressed if a trip to Washington is going to be made but also proper education directed towards owners and laws that will put tighter regulation on sales and adoptions to ensure that someone can properly care for these birds before they are placed in a home, that they have the knowledge and tools to use when a problem with behavior comes up. A back up system in place for those owners that just don't know what to do when a behavior comes into play, someplace for them to go for help too.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: