Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:45:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

I want to know your thoughts

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to know your thoughts  (Read 518 times)
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08:45 pm »

Babycakes has one little portable standlike thing she will step up on.  She will absolutely refuse to step up on a dowel type perch, she will come out and go behind the cage doing that crazy caique laugh that I'm sure you know so well!  She has also been known to bite and laugh about it! slaph

I will tell you, when I saw she was getting a caique, my teeth nearly separated from my gums, I was so shocked! bugeye
Report Spam   Logged

looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 09:11:19 pm »

I was thinking she would have gotten a little green cheeked conure or a cockatiel or something! thinkin3
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:35 pm »

she will come out and go behind the cage doing that crazy caique laugh that I'm sure you know so well!  She has also been known to bite and laugh about it! slaph

I will tell you, when I saw she was getting a caique, my teeth nearly separated from my gums, I was so shocked! bugeye

laugh laffhrd  oh yeah, i know what you're saying! lol! marley does it too. i call it maniacal laughter. he would make a great evil character in a cartoon! lol! maybe judge doom from roger rabbit?
anyway,  i feel that relationship may be facing some very rough waters.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 12:53:04 am »

I dunno I just hear all too often "you should NEVER make a parrot do something it does not want to do"  .  but to me that is unrealistic. 
I don't force the issue most of the time but as I said a step up is not negotiable...ever, in my eyes.  I also will force them to go to their cage when I go off to work.  So YES I DO force my parrot to do stuff sometimes and I personally don't see that as a BAD thing.  I don't force them to come out and play if they don't want to, or shower right now, or be petted etc etc.

I asked because I got a not so pleasant PM about my response there, and was wondering how you all felt.
Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:20 am »

Ditty, you are right about the caging. . I always cage before work, and sometimes, not always , but sometimes, Jade will resist. If I can't get her to go in on her own, I will pick her up and do it for her...with the accompanying bites. I don't care...I decide what is needed to keep all safe, and it will be done. Also, Bella NEVER wants to go in her cage...and I mean NEVER. So, its always a grab and put in with a bite. But, it needs to be done. I can't leave her out when I am not home or asleep to wreck havoc.  That would be disaster. The cronks will go in on their own, and Bud ALWAYS steps up. Ducky will go home if I tell her too. Bella steps up but then bites usually. And Jade had so many finger / hand issues, it s abig deal for her to step up. So, I don't push it. In an emergency, I would probably just grab and put in a carrier. In an emergency, I could see them stepping up, then flying off. I think it would be faster and easier to just pick them up and do what needs to be done.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 12:20:36 pm »

Without reading anyone elses post on the subject, it is my feeling that when a bird comes into the house the immediate training should be stick training.  My fids are cage free and have learned the rule of the house. They dont fly willy nilly and poop on furniture and dive bomb anyone. They from the start have learned their area and only when called will they come flying to me in other rooms. The training for that was and is not easy but it all began with target and stick training. The parrot may or may not be in the mood. It is UP TO THE TRAINER TO UNDERSTAND THE MOOD AND THE BACKGROUND OF THE BIRD TO DETERMINE THE RIGHT TIME TO TRAIN. Mornings may not be the time to train. He may be more opened to mid afternoon socializing. A trainer that knows and anticipates their bird's mood, temperament  and play techniques is a great trainer and would never consider forcing a fid to do anything!  A parrot (no matter the size) will always test you by seeing how many times he can jump on the keybod before you start pulling out your hair. You as the parront would know this about your fid and must keep an event temper and persevere by showing consistency. Many folks out there train or attempt to train without getting to know fid posture body language etc.  adn if you dont understand that about your bird, you will never get good results.  By good results I mean a companion parrot that takes direction from you because it WANTS to not HAS to.  I gotta go shower now..funny smell in the air...
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »

ditty, the risk of starting a riot... you know  your fiddies. you know what is plausable in your home, with your birds, with your training aptitude.  who am i to tell you what's best when i've never even met your birds? seen your home? i believe most of us do the best we can with the tools provided both hard tools like cages and perches and 'software' like our own abilities as trainers or whatever. so, in short, if  you do your best, your fiddies are healthy and happy, and its all working for you... more power to ya. there are no absolutes. what works for me may not work for you. but we're all trying to get to the same place.
there are sooooo many schools of thought with birds. its all just so new for us (humans) relatively speaking. who knows what's "right"? just like the same methods dont work for child rearing, the same applies to birdie rearing. i could never use the same methods with marley as i do with skittles. and i'm finding out, the things that worked for skittles have NO effect whatsoever on ollie. we live and learn. we make mistakes. we try to do our best. there is no perfect because, as i said, there are no absolutes.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:09 pm »

By the way, I agree with Ditty. I agree with all of you on this. I respect everyone of you and your training methods. Keep in mind, the type of training I mentioned works in MY house. Works with MY schedule and THEIR temperaments. Ditty has raised 2 great fiddies. We all need to find what works for us.  happyjack
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »

Here's my thoughts. As most of you know, Peanut does 8 tricks...and the rest do one or two. Especially with Peanut, I have NEVER forced her to do her tricks. If there was a day where she didn't want to perform, then fine! I give her attention some other way. The same goes withal my birds.I dont force them to do their tricks. But like Ditty, step-ups are a MUST...even with Budgie. Same with going into the cage at night, or when i leave. Coming out is their choice. Another must, is they HAVE to stay away from the front door while foraging in the floor. My reasoning is, I dont need to lose another bird like I did Cooper. They were all foraging in the floor when he went out the front door. That is something i do force...if it means kinda scaring them away from the door, then I will!
So in short, yes, i do force my birds to obey the rules, but i wouldnt force them into doing tricks or someting that doesnt have really any meaning behind it. ALL of my rules and bounderies for them have a good meaning behind it, and they 98% of the time follow those rules.

And about Senegal's, yes i know...Rodney is stubborn and sometimes makes me wanna pull my hair out. But if I dnt FORCE him to step up he wont do it without fighting it for a week. And i dont like his bites....they HURT! I also NEVER force him to go to work (volunteering at the nursing home). If he is having an "off" day, then thats ok, and we wont go.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:14:53 pm by BilboMisty » Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: