Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 12:02:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wing Clipping

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wing Clipping  (Read 168 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:08 am »

BrokenWing Chronicles
Wing Clipping

What a controversial issue, I have seen many forums torn apart concerning the subject.
Sooo, I would like to share my story, under no circumstances am I recommending anything.

Rose and I were very young to the parrot world, we had but one bird (Joey) when wing clipping became a issue.
Rose said she was taking Joey to the vet to have his wings clipped, I threw a fit, this was something I was not going to agree with, Joey flew around, he had no problems and what I was protecting the most was Joey's ability to be what he was...a bird, and this is what birds do, they fly, taking a birds ability to fly away just seemed very wrong to me.
My wife was set on the issue, she didn't want her Joey to be injured, she was not willing to risk any injury to Joey, and we faught...
Well, I lost the battle, was it because I simply gave in or was Joeys safety behind my decision?
At the time we didn't have a bird carrier, soooo, I found a box, cut a door in the side, and wrote messages on the side of the box to the vet, "My name is Joey, I am a nice little bird, if you hurt me I will bite you and large words such as HURT, PAIN and placed a bright red X through the words.
The vet was very impressed with Joeys carrier, little did Rose and I know, the vet and her assistant were also rescue people and it seems we were called upon to take many birds in from a simple wing clipping.
Rose and I decided to get a friend for Joey, now we had 2 birds Joey and Molly, we decided to save some money on wing clipping and took our birds to a local pet shop, these people that ran this Mom & Pop type of store where very picky about who bought there parrots, one had to visit and spend time with the bird they were buying before they were allowed to take the bird home, we admired this, and these folks seemed to know what they were doing so this is where we took our birds to be clipped at 2 bucks per bird.
I watched the lady clip the wings and thought, hey thats simple, We can do that....
Well, both birds flew backwards now, a very sad sight to see, they had no flight what so ever.
Man I was P..sed.....
One day molly decided to fly off her perch and landed so hard on the floor, she popped her vent.
Away Molly went to the emergency vet, and she had surgery, she came home with a dreaded collar...
I went up to the pet shop and had some very ripe talk with the pet shop owner.
Then, as I have said in another thread, our little blue Quaker broke his/her neck during the first and only flight.
When a new bird comes into our home, the wings are clipped, those that have been here with us for quite sometime and know this house, are not clipped.
We do all our own clipping, trim nails, beaks.
I am posting these pictures to help, not to start a great debate with mud slinging.

For appearance leave the outer primary's.

If trimmed correctly, your bird will still have controlled flight, the distance will not be there, but a safe landing will.
There are issues to consider, do you have cats?
We do, our cats do not bother our birds when they are out and about, we still keep a close eye on things just knowing what cats are capable of doing to a bird.
The same reasoning could be used concerning a dog.
I hope this thread was found to be helpful, controversial was not my intent.
I would like to share a conversation that I have had concerning this issue.
"How can you take a birds flight away from them, that's cruel", the person said.
"How can you cage a bird and keep him/her as a pet", I said.
"We don't cage our birds here, they free fly, they have there own room", she replied.
"What about the four walls you call HOME", I said.
That ended the debate.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:51:46 am by BrokenWing » Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:14:31 pm »

Indeed. I too struggle with this topic,which is why I hope for great success in flight training.
There are folks out there that don't believe this can be obtained. I've been meaning to ask you BW, What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:19:52 pm »

This is my opinion:  Many do clip their birds for safety reasons.  I guess it depends on where the birds fly, what is in the home and much more..  I will not clip my birds anymore for my own safety concerns.  When some of my Parrots were clipped I saw too many times them falling hard to the floor like a ROCK!  In my mind this would eventually lead to a bad injury, or worse!  This is my reason for not clipping. :)
Report Spam   Logged
BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:57 pm »

Well, as I have said, after loosing one bird to a broken neck, and another ending up having to have surgery from clipping....its a been a major struggle for me..
I hate cages, I hate caging birds, When I did keep and care for Pigeons, I would set on my deck and watch my flock free fly, they always came home at night, I fed and watered them, and other than natural predators, I didn't worry to much...
Our older birds that know this house free fly, we don't clip them...new birds are clipped and remained clipped until they learn the house.
A person can limit the distance of flight without removing the birds ability to land safely, the last thing a person would want to do is cut all the flights, this is what the pet shop done and our molly ended up ripping her vent open when landing.
Taking away a birds ability to do what they were intended to do (fly) is a strict heart breaker for me, holding a little bird in your hands watching him/her die from a broken neck is horrifying.
If it were up to me...I would clip the bird for limited flight, once the bird learns his-her surroundings, stop clipping.
Our African Greys will fly all the way down here in the basement to be with me...
We just took in 2 more orphaned Cockatiels, these birds were clipped (limited)...they are new to there surroundings, and when they first came here 2 weeks ago, one flew directly into the window, wasn't injured, but a reminder as to why we do clip newbies....
Its your call....
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
luvmycadillac
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 8

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:59:32 pm »

My birds are not flighted, I clip my own wings, nails and beak trims. I do it for safety reasons yet all my birds can "glide" when they fall. When mine are flighted they are very "cocky", nippy and mean its like they have the "Im the king of the castle" attitude. Thanks for sharing your time, story and experiance with us
Report Spam   Logged
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:10:27 pm »

They are both familiar with the layout of the house as well as flighted.  What I mean to ask is, A tiels ability to learn On Cue Flight Training. On Cue. As I am attempting. 
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:58:55 pm »

Debz, if my opinion means anything, why wouldn't it work?  Did you see that video with the budgies?  They were acting on cue.  There's no reason why Pippo and Cat couldn't learn to do stuff on cue too. :)
Report Spam   Logged

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:44:45 pm »

You know what? I totally forgot about that!! C'mere let me give you a great big Sicilian Kiss on the nose!  :-*  You just made my day! You know what happened? (no, debzy what?)  Let this be a lesson for the whole kingdom!!! "Someone" said to me...(the message I perceived) Don't bother because it has yet to  work with my bird.  Don't ask me who, F'get abat it! Takin' it to my grave. capish?
 Point is, coming from this person, it hurt. And somehow I lost my twinkle about the whole project.  But now, thanks to little Miss Loonz, I'm back!  :)
You are my sunshine...my only sunshine....you ma....
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:15:28 pm »

Shall we all burst into song?  Debz, just remember that little ol ant!

Just what makes that little ol ant
Think he can move a rubber tree plant
Everyone knows an ant...can't......move a rubber tree plant
But he had hi-eee hopes
He had hi-eee hopes
He had high apple pie in the sky...hopes!

.....Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant! AddEmoticons04239

Report Spam   Logged

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:20:53 pm »

Not to be johnny rain cloud, just remember, no matter how much training is involved there will always be risks.
I have seen many free fliers, I admire the training and the time these people spend with there birds.
But for me, watching some of these exotic birds flying free and knowing that something could happen....I just cringe.
We were attending a Minnesota Companion Bird meeting called Parrots in the Park, I saw this beautiful Scarlet Macaw free flying on command, I think the worrying aspect stole the excitement, but the bird came back each and every time.
My heart was simply pumping.....
Good Luck Girl.
It should be fun during training.
Report Spam   Logged

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:48:15 pm »

Thank you both! :) BW that is terrifying. My fabies will never step outside without a harness.  As for the training, nothing big and grandiose, teeny weeny careful baby steps. Just enough to keep their hearts pumping at a healthy beat, and to have a little more interaction with their eccentric mommy.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

Search Webmaster Windows User
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 06:45:49 pm »

Although I always keep my macaws trimmed (but leave the end one/two primaries intact), I let Oscar's grow out every once in awhile. Currently, he can fly, and I"m going to start flight training. It all depends on the owner, as there are goods and bads for each way.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: