Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
October 23, 2020, 07:28:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Looking to Adopt

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to Adopt  (Read 198 times)
kmw82290
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 0

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »

Me and my Fiancé are looking to adopt a larger parrot. This will be his first bird, but I grew up with them. I have had several Macaws, Amazons, African Greys, and Cockatoos. I was wondering if anyone knew of place where we could adopt. We looked at Second Chances but they did not have any birds that interested us. Does anyone know of a possible family that is looking to get rid of their larger bird that we could contact? Thanks for the help.
Katie
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:22:08 pm »

Thank you for joining us Katie and wanting to adopt thumb  You are from the Buffalo area, correct?  Just so others know.  Hopefully Chance see's this and we can get you the bird you desire to adopt.  Like I told you via email Second Chances site has not been updated due to technical issues so she may have or know someone who has the bird you desire.  She also has many that are fostered.  It would also help if you could tell us what you are looking for? peace
Report Spam   Logged
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:29:41 pm »

Hi could you give us a bit more information on what type of species of parrot you are looking to adopt ? 
We get calls daily so if I have a better idea of what you are looking for , then I can better assist you.
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
kmw82290
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 0

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:49:10 pm »

We are looking for a Macaw and are from the Buffalo area.
Report Spam   Logged
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:54:20 pm »

Any type of Macaw?   
some basic questions to help us better fit you with the right bird...

Do you have kids ?
Do you own your home?
other pets in the home?
how many hours a day would the bird be alone?

Report Spam   Logged

kmw82290
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 0

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:37:18 pm »

I am not picky I would like any type of Macaw. I do not have children. And we are currently renting but moving into our own home in less than a year. We do not have any other pets and the bird would not be alone more than 2 hours a day.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

welcome katie!

are you in a house or appartment? just asking cause i have a scarlet macaw and he is L-O-U-D. you can hear him two blocks away. really. there is no such thing as a quiet macaw. maybe some who are less loud. if you have close neighbors, they will hear your macaw. i live on a corner so there are few houses close enough for them to hear him if they are inside their houses. but they do hear him in their yards. not trying to convince you against a macaw. just commenting. i see you've had some large birds so i'm sure you understand. i love skittles and i ignore the screaming. he just likes to make noise. if you dont care, more power to ya. does "hubby" realize how loud they can be? you say you've had large birds but "hubby" hasnt. ya might want to let him hear the video on you tube titled "so you want a parrot" it has some loud ones and all the bad stuff that goes with having parrots. just a thought. not trying to be argumentative.
do you have any birds at all now? what happened to your other birds?
good luck with your searching. and good job choosing to adopt!  thumb
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:32:32 pm by steptoe91(tozie) » Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:01 pm »

I do have the video "so you want a parrot " on our website, Take a look  thumb

May I suggest waiting until you move into your house before bringing a parrot home, Macaws are sooo loud , and apartments do not allow that, We usually wont place large birds into apartments, we find withing a couple months the bird comes back to us, due to noise, and the land lord saying the bird goes or you do...
I would have no problem holding a bird for you if one comes in that would be a good fit.
Report Spam   Logged

kmw82290
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 0

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:40 pm »

Thank you, Is there any birds that you recommend us having while in a apartment? Any maybe medium size?
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:46:02 pm »

if you really want a large parrot and you're sure you're moving into a house within the next year, i'd suggest just waiting. i wanted a macaw. but i couldnt afford him. so a friend gave me a tiel. i loved tweety. but i wanted skittles. i still ended up getting skittles and kept tweety til he died. but in retrospect, i should've just waited and got the bird i wanted. too often, people 'settle' for what they can get and dont bond with the animal. then they get the one they wanted in the first place. and you're more likely to give up that one you just 'settled' on. just my opinion. i dont know you. i could be completely wrong. i'm just generalizing. and dont mean anything ugly by it. its hard to wait. trust me, i know. i'm dying to just jump in my car and drive up to New York and get ollie. but it'll be worth the wait. it was for skittles. i love him dearly.
on the other hand, to answer your question. i'm thinking a tiel isnt real loud. what qualities are you looking for? cuddle bug? talker? trickster? mild mannered?
i love my caique. he's like a macaw in boldness. he's funny. a real clown. he's very active. entertains himself more then skittles, but still needs that human interaction.  cuddles sometimes. less lately, he's reaching that hormonal terrible two's stage. he doesnt talk, not for real. but he whistles the cadence of words and he understands english very well. he's also stubborn, obnoxious, distructive, aggressive, he can be loud --think he learned it from skittles, messy -- he slings fruit pulp everywhere.
my quaker isnt real loud. she talks. she's a touch-me-not. but i dont think that's normal.
i'd suggest browsing the internet and look at characteristics of the different birds out there. 
Report Spam   Logged

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
kmw82290
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 0

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 09:47:32 am »

Thank you, Is there any birds that you recommend us having while in a apartment? Any maybe medium size?
Report Spam   Logged
zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 11:03:39 am »

Sure there are lots of awesome medium size parrots but it sounds like you would be just settling and really want a macaw so I would wait until you get into the house.

What happens to the medium size parrot when you do move and can get your macaw…are you going to keep it?

Sorry I don’t want to sound like a *bleep* but us in the bird world know that 85% of all exotic domestic parrots are given away or sold within two years… it is a heart breaking statistic and one that has to be stopped, owning a parrot is a lifelong commitment and not a decision that can be or should be made lightly.

The rescues are over flowing with parrots that got given away because most people don’t understand what they are getting into when they get a parrot, they think they are beautiful and will talk or are a status symbol but owning a parrot and taking care of them correctly with change your life, if you are prepared for that and are serious and committed to owning a parrot forever I would be happy to give to some ideas…that is if you don’t hate me now for what I have just said.

Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 11:14:50 am »

I am not trying to discourage you we just don’t know you and want to be sure you have given this a lot of thought.

Living with a parrot is a wonderful thing  loveuk would not trade it for anything.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 11:15:10 am »

am i guessing correctly that you didnt read my whole post? cause i did answer your question to the best of my ability with so little information on what exactly you are looking for in a bird. they are all so drasticly different, that size alone does not narrow down your needs enough to make a suggestion. i could randomly start naming 'medium' sized birds but without an idea of what qualities in the bird attracts you, it would just be regurgitating information.
Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 08:57:31 pm »

I hope you remember that having a parrot is like having a perpetual toddler. They need not only great food and a big cage, but endless hours of love and attention. And they can be very messy and loud. I have quakers and a conure and I'll tell you, none of them would be appropriate for an apartment. I waited until we bought our home to get my first, and in hindsight, that was one of the smartest things I have ever done. And as said before, don't mean to be *bleep*y, just honest.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: