Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:29:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Looking for advice on taming

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice on taming  (Read 432 times)
Kelly
Protector of all things animal
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

So for the most part little dude and Iare getting along. He seems to be very hand shy. If I put my arms behind my back he will approach me and sometimes get up on my shoulder and chatter away. When he sees my hands coming he dodges me. My other birds were babies so they were easy to handle and Secret liked me from the get go. I have never had to work on the trust thing really, not like this.
I have books and have read plenty on it here and there I was just hoping for some first hand advice from you guys.
He is also afraid of the little parrot gym that I got him. It's been next to his cage but he won't go near it.
I'm using millet to get him over to it now. He's just kind of watching me watch him.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:07:39 pm »

Take a piece of spaghetti and gently touch him with it as he grows comfortable with you using it to touch him break an inch off, when he's comfortable with that break another inch off, and keep going until you can touch him with your finger. If this doesn't work buy a straw broom and use a piece of that.
Time will work in your favour! GOod luck and let us know how things progress.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »

when i got steve he was terrified of hands. a few times a week i would sit for about 30 minutes with my hand just laying in his cage. not moving, not trying to touch him. just to get him used to it. he would step up on my arm after about a month of getting to know him. and he loved for me to rub him with my nose or chin. i slowly got to where i would put my hand on my face while i rubbed him with my nose. over the course of several weeks i edged my hand closer to his head still using my nose to rub him. then i finally got close enough to use both my nose and finger. i did that for quite a while, and every now and again i would stop rubbing with my nose and just use my finger. sometimes he would realize what i was doing and bite me, sometimes he wouldnt. he flew away before i got the chance to move forward with this but i believe he would have eventually got to where i could touch him without scaring him. another great bonding was eating together. steve loved fudge pops, so we shared them. at the time i didnt know chocolate was bad for them, but you get the idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Kelly
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »

The spaghetti trick sounds interesting! That's just the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you very much.
I know that time and patience are the only sure fire way of going about it so I just have to work on my patience level at this point I guess.
I eat in my room and share some goodies but he won't come near my hands even if I have something for him. When he's on my shoulder or climbing around my bed he will walk down my arm and when he sees my hand he runs.
Hopefully there isn't a reason he is so fearful....I would have to find his previous person if that were the case.
For now I am just enjoying watching him play.
It's nice to sit at my dresser getting ready for the day and have help w/ my make up again though. He rides on my mirror and carries my eye pencils and stuff around. He makes himself busy for sure.

Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:09 am »

When he is on your arm ball your hand up into a fist so he can't see your fingers (which look like snakes and are HUGE compared to his size). IF he sits on top of your fist SLOWLY start to undo your fingers until they are cupped, the longer he sits there the more you uncup your fist until the top of your hand shows with your fingertips curled under, if he remains there slowly undo your fingertips, my guess is he'll run as soon as you start to spread your fingers. You can try wrapping your hand in an ACE bandage so your fingers are almost totally covered. Over time expose a bit more of ONE finger until it is half way exposed, then start another finger and so on until your fingers are all half way exposed, then start with the rest of your hand exposing a bit at a time. This talkes a while, but he may surprise you and things will move quickly. Remember to use LOTS of praise. Also when you hit his limit and he becomes scared go back to the point where he wasn't scared and end the session - ALWAYS end your sessions on a positive note.
Report Spam   Logged
Kelly
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:57:36 am »

Lots of work and being consistent is paying off pretty well!
He won't step up on me and is comfortable on the floor much to my dismay...
For the most part he isn't really biting and I'm respecting his space near his cage.
He likes my cell phone and I thought it was super adorable when he mimicked the text message sound!!!!!
Hopefully he did it to get my attention and I rewarded him w/ some millett.
I only have an hour or so left bnefore I have to get ready for work so I'm off for more bonding.
 loveuk
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:26:55 pm »

very cool! my budgie LOVEs to be on the floor too.  I just hover nearby to keep her out of trouble.  Glad to hear you guys are getting along so well, keep us updated! (didja pick a name?)
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:00:45 pm »

Usually when birds are on the floor they will readily step-up on you. If he does then that is the time to work on step-up. Are you familiar with laddering? You have the bird on your hand/finger and have him step-up onto your other hand/finger while saying "up-up/step-up, repeat about 6 times. Do this at the beginning of his out of cage time and again at the end. In no time he'll step up on command (mostly LOL!)
Report Spam   Logged
Kelly
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:58 pm »

Hey Sondra, Yes I'm familiar with laddering. I have done it a few times but he looks around very nrevous like and complains about it. If I just let him sit and don't move towards him he is ok. Out of the sight of the cage is best.
He just had a nice shower and is in his little birdy bed so I can get ready for work.
He doesn't go away from me anymore so much just sort of watches what I'm going to do.
I ordered him all kinds of good stuff online from djfeathers.com. He was very excited to et his higgins small fruit and veggie!
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »

Wow! You have made progress! The little tiel we took in a couple of months ago has also settled down - he'll let us get near his cage when he's on top of it without freaking out. The only time he'll let us touch him is when he flies into the floor. Slow and easy is best. You are doing it right & you both will benefit in the end.
Report Spam   Logged
Kelly
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:41:30 am »

He was garbling this morning before I got up and I heard him say "what doin".
 loveuk He's paying attention to me so that's a good sign, I love bird love!
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 11:55:34 am »

awww, that's right. nothing better than the love of those feathered little dragons... loveuk
(i keep telling myself that as i chase marley around the house, pick up skittles dumped food and water bowls, and duck twiggy's lunges for walking too close to her cage.. laugh )
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Kelly
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 01:20:43 am »

Well, we have had a minor set back. Our routine was broken due to a 4 day CE training event that was required.
That was 2 weeks ago and it looks as though I will have to start all over again.
He was never much of a cuddler anyway but now he seems very fearful
My daughter gave him excellent care while I was gone. She never took him out of his cage and he ADORES her!!!!
I think he likes the ladies with glasses. She has always been a little scared of birds so she will not handle him.

I guess I will be starting fresh again.
It is well worth it though.
Next time I have to leave town for training, HE IS COMING WITH ME!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:24 am »

aw, animalcop, I was wondering about you lately, good to hear from you again :) I am glad you have a good bird sitter to count on! and I agree, next time take him with you! a little love after a training session is awesome:) keep in touch  grouphug
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 07:39:12 pm »

Thanks for the update gal.  All will be fine! hugu
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: