Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:01:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Fabulous Kakapo

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fabulous Kakapo  (Read 413 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:49 pm »

The Fabulous Kakapo
Strigops habroptila
Once common throughout the three main islands of New Zealand, there are now approximately 62 Kakapo left. These remaining birds have been relocated to six predator free island habitats, where the birds are relatively safe and have been breeding!

The first factor in the decline of the Kakapo was the arrival of humans. According to Māori folklore, Kakapo were found throughout the country when the Polynesians first arrived in Aotearoa 1,000 years ago; subfossil and midden deposits show that they were present throughout the North island, South island and Stewart island before and during early Māori times.Māori settlers from Polynesia hunted the Kakapo for food and for their skins and feathers, which were made into luxurious capes. They used the dried heads as ear ornaments. Due to its flightlessness, strong scent and habit of freezing when threatened, the Kakapo were easy prey for the Māori and their dogs. Their eggs and chicks were also predated by the Polynesian Rat or kiore, which the Māori brought to New Zealand. Furthermore, the deliberate clearing of vegetation by Māori reduced the habitable range for Kakapo. Although the Kakapo were extinct in many parts of the islands by the time Europeans arrived, including the Tararua and Aorangi Ranges,they were still present in the central part of North island and forested parts of South island.

From the 1840s, European settlers cleared vast tracts of land for farming and grazing, further jeopardising the Kakapo and their habitat. They brought more dogs and other mammalian predators, including domestic cats, black rats and stoats. Europeans knew little of the Kakapo until George Gray of the British Museum described it from a skin in 1845. As the Māori had done, early European explorers and their dogs fed on Kakapo. In the late 1800s, Kakapo became well-known as a scientific curiosity, and thousands were captured or killed for zoos, museums and collectors. Most captured specimens died within months. From at least the 1870s, collectors knew the Kakapo population was declining; their prime concern was to collect as many as possible before they became extinct.

In the 1880s, large numbers of mustelids (stoats, ferrets and weasels) were released in New Zealand to reduce rabbit numbers,but they also preyed heavily on many native species including the Kakapo. Other browsing animals, such as introduced deer, competed with Kakapo for food, and caused the extinction of some of its preferred plant species. Kakapo were reportedly still present near the head of the Whanganui River as late as 1894, with one of the last records of a Kakapo in the North Island being a single bird caught in the Kaimanawa Ranges by one Te Kepa Puawheawhe in 1895.

Read more here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:31:39 pm by BrokenWing » Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

thetim53
Chief Adviser buffaloparrot.com
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 23

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:06:12 pm »

The Law of Unintended Results. We'll bring in the X to control the Y without any idea they would wipe out the Z. Don't fool with Mother Nature!
Report Spam   Logged

Asha, 12-year-old Blue Front Amazon
We reside in Georgia
" I may be gone now, but at least I did not die as a damn Yankee!"

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:28:21 am »

Vet first to artificially inseminate a kakapo
MICHAEL FORBES - The Southland Times | Saturday, 14 February 2009

Having become the first person to artificially inseminate a kakapo, Dr Juan Blanco believes our native parrot has been well looked after by Kiwis humans that is.

The Spanish vet has just spent 17 days on Whenua Hou/Codfish Island helping the Conservation Department with kakapo breeding.

Last month, Dr Blanco artificially inseminated a kakapo, making him the first person to successfully perform the procedure on a wild endemic, endangered bird.

Dr Blanco said the purpose was to ensure genetic diversity among kakapo on the island, where only two male birds were the dominant breeders.

It would also provide the foundation for a kakapo sperm bank, allowing DOC staff to actively promote breeding on the island when conditions suit, as they have this summer, he said.

"The female kakapo feed their chicks with a particular type of berry from the rimu tree and if it's in short supply, they won't breed," he said. "It depends a bit on climate, but it only happens every four to six years."

The mechanics of artificially inseminating a kakapo were a bit complex but Dr Blanco said it was a very short, simple procedure that could be performed in their field.

This is the fourth year in a row Dr Blanco has visited Codfish Island and he believes DOC, through its kakapo recovery programme, has made great strides towards ensuring the bird's survival.

"What I've done here is just a tool. The real work is being done by DOC on the island to provide a safe habitat for the kakapo."

His previous visits have involved training DOC staff and gathering information about kakapo breeding procedures.

A world-renowned expert on assisted reproductive techniques in endangered birds, Dr Blanco said the kakapo was one of the most unique birds he has ever encountered.

"It's very synchronised with its environment. I've never seen a bird cope as well with the environment around it."

Male kakapo unseen for 21 years rediscovered

A male kakapo last seen 21 years ago on Whenua Hou/Codfish Island, just off Stewart Island, has been rediscovered, adding his genetics to the small but increasing kakapo population.

Rangi was found on Waitangi Day by Kakapo Recovery ranger Chris Birmingham after he heard a male booming where there had been no previous booming activity. Unable to locate a transmitter signal, Mr Birmingham knew when he saw a leg-band that this kakapo was one of four males released on to the island sanctuary in 1987.

Kakapo Recovery team leader Deidre Vercoe said Rangi's return not only boosted the kakapo population to 91 but his genetics as one of 24 founding kakapo males from Stewart Island could further increase the critically endangered birds' gene pool.

The link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southlandtimes/4847001a6568.html
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 04:43:53 pm »

Good news for Critically Endangered parrot

Monday 23rd February 2009

http://www.arkive.org/news/20090223-good-news-for-critically-endangered-parrot.html
Report Spam   Logged

thetim53
Chief Adviser buffaloparrot.com
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 23

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 05:00:27 pm »

A little strange looking, but definitely a beautiful parrot. Hope they can make it back from the brink.
Report Spam   Logged

Asha, 12-year-old Blue Front Amazon
We reside in Georgia
" I may be gone now, but at least I did not die as a damn Yankee!"

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »

OMG!!  That was an amazing vid!  Too cute!  Love all this info and this will be sticky posted! AddEmoticons04239
Report Spam   Logged
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:50:20 pm »

I think the Kakapo is such a CUTE bird!! Good luck, little buddies! You can doo eeeiiiiiiit!!
Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: