Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:53:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

A no kill nation is within our reach

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A no kill nation is within our reach  (Read 267 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:41 am »

BrokenWing Chronicles
A no kill nation is within our reach
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/capa.html

PETA Reportedly Killed 2,352 Animals in 2009; Just 8 Adoptions
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/peta-reportedly-killed-2-352-animals-in-2009-just-8-adoptions

California Evaluates the Real Value of Companion Animals
http://www.aldf.org/article.php?id=934

The phenomenon of overpopulation in companion animals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation_in_companion_animals

Mankind has the honor of quite possibly being the most destructive force to ever hit mother nature.
http://listverse.com/2009/07/25/10-recently-extinct-animals/

PETA and Euthanasia
http://www.newsweek.com/id/134549

A nine-month undercover investigation by HSUS revealed a rare glimpse of the everyday abuse and neglect behind the razor wire facilities of secretive laboratories like the New Iberia Research Center (NIRC) in Louisiana.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Humane_Society_of_the_United_States

Old news, New news, its all the same!
Changes are needed, what are you willing to GIVE UP for Changes?

BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:05:52 am »

No kill nation recently posted on Facebook, a picture of a person, a cat sat on the fence in the background.
Sooooo, I posted my words...
"Your words have true meaning".....Sooooo, why is there a pet cat in the background sitting on the fence and allowed to roam outside freely?
Another NORM...that needs to be addressed.....
Oh boy...did I get some feedback......but not from NO KILL NATION...
You allow yer cat to roam outside freely.....Then you are no different than the shelters that KILL!
Maybe you would allow your 6 year child to roam freely also..."watch out for the cars sweety...see ya tonight when you come home".....
THINK ABOUT IT!

Arty....AKA......BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:22 am »

Well, I had a nice reply, a little longwinded, but pretty good, and when I went to "preview" it to check for mistakes, it disappeared! :mad1  True, there are too many feral cats roaming around, due to irresposible people.  But on the other hand many folks do let their spayed or neutered cats out or they live outside, period.  For example, in our area people keep horses, cows, etc, and they have what I call "barn cats" who keep the rodent popuation down.  They are fed, watered and have shelter.  These cats would go nuts if kept inside.  They have their shots and if they are ill, they see a vet.

Or people like me, who moved to a house here in the city, only to find out this house came with a cat!  An outside, feral cat who was here for approximately 2-3 years before I came.  We guess now this cat is probably around 10.  It [and I say "it" because while I can pet "her" I have never been allowed to get a good look enough to see what sex "she" is.  She is fed every day and gets water every day.  We think she either lives under the house or in the shed.  I would like to have her looked at by a vet, but don't want to be ripped apart putting her in a carrier.  For the record, if I ever move from here, "she" will be going with me if possible, or I will make arrangements for her to go someplace else.

I think a you really can't compare a 6 year old kid to a cat or any animal for that matter.  When you tell somebody they are no better than a shelter who kills, that can put off a lot of folks who maybe would help.  You can present facts without being accusatory.  Just my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:51:52 am »

By all means I do respect your opinion.
Upper state Michigan, Wisconsin, the feral feline colonies is estimated in the 30 thousands if not more.
When I studied the Feral Feline I came to learn that these animals were imported here in the USA for a reason, to help control the rodent population in early New York days.
We compare our birds to that of a 2 year old child, I hear it all the time...weather its wrong or right...its a comparison, In my opinion, folks that allow the pets to roam freely aren''t thinking properly...what about cars...?, how about other animals...like a mean dog allowed to roam freely also.
What about the wildlife lover who has to deal with the neighbors cat coming onto there property and stalking birds at the bird bath?
I don't want your animal on my property...period...
I don't allow my pets to roam onto your property...I expect the same respect from you!

Back to the Feral Population...where did all those NOW WILD cat colonies come from?
I can almost guarentee this...MAN is behind it!
Now folks want it to be legal to shoot the stray cat in these states and people are fight each other trying to come up with answers...

If the picture posted by No Kill Nation was a man holding a cat...I would have said nothing other than I support there ideals....
Cats at large, Dogs at large...and the little girl down the street gets bit and has to go through rabie shots because they can't find the dog to do tests...

There are sound answers...that will work...but if it means infringing on Human Rights and Freedom...."well we know where it will go....no where"!

I admire anyone that wishes to help animals by making much needed changes.
Find the soarse of the problem and deal with it at that level....not after the fact...
Stricter laws on all breeding of animals, stricter laws unto pet ownership...and yes...the sign down the street that reads "free Kittens"...might just disapear....

I wrote to a admin person for a FortWorth Texas animal shelter a few days back.
I requested the number of kills so far this year, 365,000...these numbers....are facts...

I don't want YOUR animal on my property....I have RIGHTS...also!

Keep your pet safe and sound within your home...is this not what we do with our birds?

Arty
Report Spam   Logged

looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:18:42 am »

In my case, here's the deal... we have  dogs who would kill this cat if it came in here, also, since this cat was born and raised outside to the best of my knowlege, it would probably kill my birds.  I did not ask for this cat by any means, in a way someone else's responsibilty became mine when I moved here.  Forget the animal shelter, they WOULD kill it.  It is old, half wild, and would not stand a chance there.  Even if that particular cat was not there, I can't even set up bird feeders because of all these cats around here.  I think I am going to share this story with everyone here....

When we moved to this house, there were a couple of bird feeders in the yard, and a few bushes that had berries on them the birds ate.  I found out the people who lived here had numerous cats outside and were using the bird feeders and the bushes to attract birds so that the cats would have something to EAT!  WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!  Needless to say I got rid of the feeders.  So here I am in the middle.  Out of kindness I started feeding this poor little cat.  Out of kindness I brought home a "junkyard" kitten who is spayed by the way.  Actually  that is my daughter's cat.  I get no assistance in buying catfood or anything. 

While I wish them no harm, here I am taking care of others' responsibilties and to tell the truth it makes me mad!!  If these two were no longer in the equation, I would never put out another drop of food.  I resent that my kind heart is taken advantage of countless times.

Report Spam   Logged

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:40:01 am »

I do admire your compassion, I also do all I can to help those along the roadside.

I respect No Kill Nation for there efforts to stop the killings, my hat is off to there efforts.

I find it heartbreaking to see how far this issue has gone, Folks fighting while another is killed.

All animals are seen as a comodity....we humans being on the top of the food chain seem to think we can do anything we wish to them....Some days looking at the image in the mirror can be very disturbing.

I pray things do change...FOR THEM!

BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:44:32 pm »

Me, too.
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

I pray too. ipray  The number of homeless pets on the verge of death vs the number of "baby" pets available at the same time disturbs and confuses me. loco6  A viscous cycle that needs to be recognized...   
Report Spam   Logged
BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 11:05:15 pm »

Bless all of you, may oneday...changes....meaningful changes be made!

Peace

Arty
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: