Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:27:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wilson Parrot FOundation Rescues 81 Parrots, MD

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilson Parrot FOundation Rescues 81 Parrots, MD  (Read 133 times)
Nateok
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 6

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:47:40 am »

hey all this happened i believe early last week, maybe a week and a half ago.
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyID=86224

The Rescue itself : http://www.wilsonparrotfoundation.com/
If anyone can, please donate what you can.  this recent rescue has tripled the number of birds that they housed and they could use every bit of help!
I am actually going there all day today to help out.  leaving in 2 hours.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:26:38 am »

yes I heard about this, the guy has these birds all over the house some living in boxes, with no light food or water, babies were found dead in boxes starved  >:(  many of the birds are breeders.  another crap breeder who has ruined beautiful creatures  >:(
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:37:34 am »

This sickens me, Thank the lord for such rescue facilities.
If I could help money wise I would, but we have our own rescue's to support, I truly am sorry concerning this issue.
From back yard breeders to bird mills the horrors continue to supply the demand.
I am simply beside myself right now.
NO person should breed any animal unless its to replenish an endangered species and return the species unto mothers care.
Pets and Money......Rights and Freedom simply must be protected....and what about the rights and protection all animals deserve?
Would you take a young girl and boy (human) and breed them for money?
Then why do you think its okay to do so concerning an animal?
That's right, turn and walk away breeders...the truth hurts....
We rescuers will continue to take your creations in, you take in the money, and we will continue to beg for money to help take care of there needs.
This is where people begin to hate me, and frankly, I am okay with this...

Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
macawlover2
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 22

Search Webmaster Windows User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:17 am »

Careful, I think there are some people on this site that breed birds.  ;)

That's so sad, I feel bad for those poor birds!  :'(
Report Spam   Logged

Blue & Gold Macaw- Cheyenne
Plus reptiles reptiles reptiles!
EriNes11
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 19

Windows User Level 4 Combination
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:22:58 am »

Aww... thats terribly sad.  I wish i lived closer so i could help them out more and maybe foster a bird (like my mom will ever go for that) Also so i can kick whoever did that square in the hiney.  I cant believe it its terrible  :'(
Report Spam   Logged

zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:02 am »

This is very sad, can you imagine how many animals are out there and never get rescued? Its hard to even think about it.
I am afraid with the way the economy is we will be hearing more stories of pets in need. I'm sure sales have gone down for breeders and they will be hurting financially, rescues and sanctuary's will all be needing help to pay the bills and so many are getting so full they cant take in more birds, the reality is when money gets tight it will be the animals that suffer.
Now I'm sure none of us would do that, I know I would spend money on my animals before myself  any day and I know many of you feel the same way, I mean for the places like that they had 81 birds what a shame they he didn't ask for help before it got so out of hand.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
thetim53
Chief Adviser buffaloparrot.com
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 23

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:37 am »

Well BrokenWing, they can hate me too because you hit it right on the nose. People just blind themselves to the problem of unwanted pets until they see something like this, say how awful, and then just go back to the way they were.
And I think BrokenWing would differentiate between one of our members who maybe breed a couple of clutches a year and those operations who turn them out for the pet store chains.
Report Spam   Logged

Asha, 12-year-old Blue Front Amazon
We reside in Georgia
" I may be gone now, but at least I did not die as a damn Yankee!"

angelicarboreals
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 16

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:51 am »

I am on the fence about the breeding thing. I would never do it myself, but I know that there are people out there that do.

What I do worry about, and I mean worry alot, is the fact that the more birds that are brought into this world, there is that many more birds that need homes. With a dog or a cat, that lives a max of fifteen years, people can have several dogs over the span of their lifetime. With birds that is not the case at all. The birds in captivity now may still be around when some of our grandchildren are adults (the larger ones anyhow.) The one thing I do not want to see is birds being euthanized like dogs or cats in my lifetime. The idiotic nature of putting down a species of animals that are unwanted in captivity but that are struggling with habitat destruction in the wild would break my heart (not that I am okay with putting down furry creatures at all, that is not the case).

The closer I get to graduation, and the more people I have to turn down to take their birds, the more I seriously look at starting a rescue. There are no legitimate parrot rescues in Tennessee that I know of (if there is someone please let me know), most are either out of business or mom and pop questionable rescues. The closest that I am aware of is ParrotsR4ever in Alabama, and that is a long way for someone to travel.
Report Spam   Logged

So many birdies.....so little time. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: