Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 17, 2024, 07:31:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Can you spare 10 minutes/graphic content

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you spare 10 minutes/graphic content  (Read 132 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:23:18 pm »

I rescue Racing Pigeons, well my in-field rescue days have ended...but my love for these birds will never end.
My wife and I began in-field studies on how many lost racing pigeons were among feral flocks contributing to there numbers.
Most major cities battle the Pigeon, watching birds that have been poisoned by avitrol is not a pretty site, and surely should not be seen by children.
One small town in Connecticut poisoned the Pigeons, they were falling from the sky miles away, people thought the town was being terrorized by nerve gas.
A nursing home where all the seniors would sit and feed the Pigeons stood watching out the window at the Pigeons dieing a very horrible death after management decided to be rid of the birds.
Please watch this touching film, of a little girl, 10 years old asking the town mayor to help stop poisoning the Pigeons, the film shows the problem, and shows how to deal with the problem.
I was speaking to a Hunter on a bird forum one day, I was asking for help to stop the poisonings, I was explaining how these birds helped save many lives during war time, that before the telegraph or pony express these birds of Peace flew the skies delivering messages from hospital to hospital.
The hunter (also a self proclaimed bird lover) replied, "In today's time there is no need to strap a message onto a pigeons leg to communicate and she refused to help.
I replied, "In today's time there's no need to kill wildlife to eat, one can buy all the food you need at a grocery store, and.....the Pigeon was used in the Iraq war to help our troops".
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5317629577913622678

BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:32:38 pm »

I found out about this kind of thing years ago, and was horrified.  A guy at this feed store we used to go to said they put out poison for the birds.  Humans have a tendency to do these things just because something is in their way or is eating a few grains that had fallen on the ground anyway, so they consider them a nuisance.  When will people realize that they[animals] were here first?
Report Spam   Logged

thetim53
Chief Adviser buffaloparrot.com
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 23

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »

We think that just because we were the first to acquire 'intelligence' it gives us the right to wipe out everything else. I am firmly convinced that if Cro Magnon had died out-given time-parrots would have become the dominant species on the planet. Too bad we'll kill them all before we die out and give someone else a chance.

Report Spam   Logged

Asha, 12-year-old Blue Front Amazon
We reside in Georgia
" I may be gone now, but at least I did not die as a damn Yankee!"

looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:39:28 pm »

Cruelty to animals hurts my heart.  All of it.  But when people do bad stuff to the beautiful creatures who fly through the air, it just seems that it's a new low in animal cruelty.  :'(
Report Spam   Logged

BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »

When I first began activism I begged ,pleaded, and used a lot of sugar to try and get bees.
I found my face being slapped over and over again.
Even the house of the lord has hired shooters to come and kill the Pigeons.
Today, I actively seek new laws to protect animals, trying to change the way humans think has proven not to work.

I was raised by a god fearing woman, everyday I was to sit and read the bible, my grandmother would say "only the true believer will understand what this book says and what it means".
Then I would stand in school with my hand over my heart and say the pledge of allegiance to the flag and as I said one nation under god, I would be looking at an image above the black board that pictured a monkey turning into a man...(evolution)...

Such is man kinds disturbing ways.
According to the bible it states "behold all the trees and the animals that I have created, thou shall rule over everything".......
Man kind can see many ways to make that statement work to his/her favor (justification).

Thank you for watching the film, and hopefully understanding....

BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:02:44 pm »

I thought we [humans] were meant to be guardians over the animals.  If so, many have failed.....miserably. :'(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: