Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:23:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Paradise Parrot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paradise Parrot  (Read 2774 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 16, 2009, 10:53:35 am »

BrokenWing Chronicles
Paradise Parrot
Psephotus pulcherrimus
The Paradise Parrot is presumed extinct.  Its demise highlights the need to recognise declines in populations before they reach critically low levels.
Although 26 species of Australian birds are classified as endangered, the spectacular Paradise Parrot is the only mainland species of bird to become extinct since white settlement.  Paradise Parrots lived in dry open woodland and nested in terrestrial termite mounds.  The processes that caused their extinction operated largely unnoticed.
Claims of the continued existence of the Paradise Parrot have failed to give any hopes for its survival.  The presumed extinction of this bird has been variously attributed to over-grazing, clearing, changes in fire regime, choking of habitat by Prickly Pear and extended drought.
Solution:
There is no solution to extinction, but the processes that cause loss of biodiversity (such as habitat degradation) can be turned around in our lifetime.  If they are not, the insidious and final process of extinction will continue.

Graceful bird
The Australian continent is so vast and sparsely inhabited, that once a species is considered extinct, one may always hope that it will be rediscovered. There is, however, little hope that the Paradise Parrot still survives. The decline of this species is well documented and may have started well before the Europeans invaded Australia. The introduction of cattle was fatal. The parrots fed on grass seeds, and livestock doubtlessly reduced this food supply. Many died as the ranchers deliberately set fire to the plains to stimulate the growth of fresh grass for the cattle, while rats had easy access to the eggs and young, which were hidden in burrows.

Man also posed a direct threat. This beautiful parrot was favoured as a cage bird, especially in England. In 1884 the British ornithologist William Thomas Greene wrote in his book Parrots in captivity: "No one can see it without desiring to possess so beautiful and graceful a bird, and large sums are constantly being paid for handsome specimens by amateurs; but alas! one in a dozen survives a few months and - dies suddenly in a fit." After the drought of 1902 the species seemed to have disappeared. A newspaper campaign led to its rediscovery, though the bird had become very rare. Since 1927 the Paradise Parrot has not been seen.

3D photo, click and hold your mouse button down to rotate the image.
http://nlbif.eti.uva.nl/naturalis/detail.php?lang=uk&id=47

BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:41 am »

Posted by: Loren Coleman on February 2nd, 2007

Paradise Parrot

This is a story about finding hidden treasures right before your eyes, in this case (pun intended), the beautiful Paradise Parrot of Australia.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The University of Aberdeen Zoology Museum (UK) has taken care of a case of mounted Australian birds, one of which is the spectacular but sadly extinct Paradise Parrot (Psephotus pulcherrimus).

Nature-lover Michael Middleton, from the [Aberdeen] city centre, donated the exotic birds after the case that held them developed woodworm.

It prompted him to scan the internet for more information on the assortment of stuffed birds, totalling three parrots, a pardalote, a kookaburra, a wild budgie and a cuckoo-shrike.

The specimens have been in Mr Middleton’s family for around half a century. So he was stunned when he discovered one of his feathery charges had not been seen since 1927.

Realising the slice of Australian heritage he had on his hands, Mr Middleton has donated all the birds to the University of Aberdeen’s Zoology Museum.

Although 26 species of Australian birds are currently classified as being endangered, the brightly plumed Paradise Parrot is the only mainland species of bird to have become extinct since white settlement.

Dr Martyn Gorman, honorary curator of the Zoology Museum, said: “We are indebted to Mr Middleton for his great generosity and delighted that this important specimen can now be seen by the public at large.

“To receive a specimen of a recently extinct species is a rather special event.

“It is sad that the Paradise Parrot is extinct but we hope that our parrot will help educate people about the need for conservation of wildlife.

“One wonders what other zoological treasures there are in people’s homes.”

The Paradise Parrot was locally common in the wild although generally scarce in the 19th century, but then declined rapidly and by 1915 the species seemed to have disappeared.

A newspaper campaign led to its rediscovery in 1918 but the bird had by then become very rare and the last confirmed sighting was by a C.H. Jerrerd on the 14th of September 1927 in the upper Burnett River area off the Southern Queensland coast.

The Paradise Parrot was favoured as a cage bird, especially in England. In 1884 the British ornithologist William Thomas Greene wrote in his book Parrots in Captivity:

No one can see it without desiring to possess so beautiful and graceful a bird, and large sums are constantly being paid for handsome specimens by amateurs; but alas! one in a dozen survives a few months and dies suddenly in a fit.William Thomas Greene

It is thought the decline of the species may have started long before the Europeans invaded Australia. However, the introduction of cattle by the white settlers was to prove a fatal blow. The parrots fed on grass seeds, and livestock undoubtedly reduced this food supply.

Many also died as the ranchers deliberately set fire to the plains to stimulate the growth of fresh grass for the cattle. This gave rats’ easy access to the eggs and young, which were hidden in burrows on the ground. Man also posed a direct threat through egg collecting.

Source: Press Release, “Extinct parrot resurfaces in Aberdeen.” University of Aberdeen, January 30, 2007.
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
craftsmaster
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 0

Fourth year Anniversary Combination Level 2
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »

Very interesting historical facts. I'll support you Broken Wing!

My African Grey had past away  :pray:

Carmel
Report Spam   Logged

Carmel Santos
Author of The Ultimate Guide to Parrots
The Australian Guide to Parrots
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: