Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:43:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Animal Rescuer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Animal Rescuer  (Read 143 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:57:43 am »

It was a very hot humid morning, I woke and headed for my computer to check my e-mails.
Need help was the heading.
The e-mail went on as such.
We have a sick Pigeon in our backyard next to our air unit, the bird just sits there, we are offering the bird bread and water, could you please come and pick this bird up!

I was given the address and was told how to find the bird, out the door I went, no questions asked, I drove 35 miles "one way" I grabbed my bird carrier and headed for the back yard and sure enough there sat the wayward bird right where the people said he/she would be.

The bird was very ill, I had no problems securing the little one and placing him/her into the carrier, away we went back to our home.

I looked him her over very well and decided this bird needed to be placed on Baytril.
I placed a heating pad in the cage set on low and began a 10 day Baytril regiment.
I offered a Dove Pigeon mix and fresh water.

Soon the bird was getting around much better and eating and drinking on his/her own.
each day proved to be better and better.

Another e-mail read, found injured Pigeon in my garage, this bird was 65 miles away, out the door I went to St Cloud, Minnesota.
Upon arrival I found a Racer with a Broken Wing, I brought the Racer home, set the wing and wrapped, offered a half an aspirin for pain and placed the bird on a heating pad set on low, offered a Dove and Pigeon mix along with fresh water.

Another e-mail read, Arty, can you help this bird, apparently there's a Racer up in Akin, Mn, the finder is upset, he can't find the owner and wants the bird gone, he has tried to set the bird free after feeding and the bird keeps coming back.

Out the door I go 111 miles one way, I meet a very nice man, a very nice home, my dream home.
He seems a little frustrated concerning this bird he has tried to help, he asked others and was told to feed and water the bird and release, the bird would find his/her way home.
He has helped wildlife before and currently is caring for 3 baby flying squirrels.
I assure him I will care for the Pigeon and do my best to find the owner and return the bird.

I drive home and look the bird over, this bird has no injuries and seems to be in good health.
I find the owner and arrangements are made, the owner will come and pick his bird up from Spooner Wisconsin, 25 miles away from where the bird was found, now the bird is over 100 miles from where he/she was found.
I offer seed and fresh water.

Another e-mail.
BrokenWing Rescue, need your help.
New York city, a dock manager.
Is it safe to use nets to control the Pigeons?
A ship docking managers is concerned.
I recommend Spike Strips to control the birds roosting, these spike strips will not harm the birds and the nets will.

Another e-mail reads.
Please help, I am finding Pigeons in my front yard thrashing around on the ground.
Seems a farm barn not far way from this persons house was destroyed and poison was applied, Wentworth, California, never been there but I did call the authorities and mention that poisoned birds could be carried home from stray cats and harm children, the health department was dispatched to this persons home.

Dallas Forthworth, Tx.
Birds could be found dead in the streets, from Pigeons to Wrens, the birds could be found for miles, 3 city blocks were closed off to the public so the workers could clean up the hundreds of birds, the workers showed up wearing suits that resembled the suits worn when going into space...hmmmmmm...wonder why?
Seems a local downtown bank hired a exterminator to poison the pigeons....

Switzerland, a retirement home poisons the pigeons, the elderly stand in the windows and watch Pigeons that they used to feed each day thrash around on the ground after being poisoned.

The phone rings.
My name is Jill, I was told to call you, my daughter recently went back to college and left her bird here for me to care for, this bird is very mean and bites me, can you please come and get this bird from hell?
Out the door I go, the woman wrapped the bird in a box "Taped shut", NO AIR HOLES.
A very nice little Senegal.
This bird shared his cage with a Parakeet.

E-mail;
Defenders of Wildlife needs your donations.
E-mail;
The slaughter of seal pups continue in Canada.
E-mail;
Help us, call your senator and vote to close the Puppy Mill down.
E-mail;
9 million companion animals slaughtered here in the USA in the year 2009.

So, this rescuer decides to take a break, sit down and watch some TV, Animal Planet.....a Dog is found chained to a post in a abandoned house...starving...nothing less than skin and bones...
A Animal Petting Zoo....dead animals found laying on the ground, filthy water...and the owner is slapped on the back of the hand by the ASPCA...

E-mail;
The ASPCA needs your help, please make a donation today!

E-mail;
Please watch this video and help us stop the way they abuse old cows.
The video shows a operator of a Bob Cat shoving an older cow along the ground to SLAUGHTER...so are we going to reach out and call FOWL PLAY?....and why?....maybe because we don't want to eat OLD COW...hamburger????????

I AM BROKENWING
I WILL fight for there RIGHT to be FREE!
I will FIGHT for new LAWS that will take there lives out of the hands of the MANY that will take there LOVE for GRANTED.
Humans Love Humans...Animals LOVE Animals...you humans want LOVE...ya want COMPANIONSHIP?????...then best ya go find yerself...A HUMAN.....

I AM....A ANIMAL RESCUER!

Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05:58 am »

you do really important work, Arty.  I know it must get so overwhelming and frustrating.  Each one counts, each one. thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:34:46 am »

I am sure it gets very frustrating and steals your spirit but don't let it BW, you are not alone...there is a lot of animal lovers out there doing there part and helping where and when they can.
I am sure you have seen this quote before and I have posted it before but I love it and sometimes it helps me because sometimes we can only do so much....

Saving one bird may not change the world,
but it will change the world for that one bird.
Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »

Yes, it has to be rough on the mind and soul.  You can only do what you can, and you do wonders for the ones that need your help!  You are a great protector/care giver/awareness for the birds and what they endure BW afro.gif
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: