Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 07:14:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Hydrogen Peroxide

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide  (Read 258 times)
Bird_Lover
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 9

Badges: (View All)
Windows User Level 5 Combination
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:24 pm »

I recently started using hydrogen peroxide to clean cages because someone on the BirdBoard said it was great.  I take the cages apart, put them in the shower, and spray them down with peroxide from a squirt bottle.  Obviously, you wouldn't want to use it near the birds or things that could be bleached, but it sure does a good job.  I have been using vinegar for small clean ups around the birds.  I never realized that hydrogen peroxide was safe for cleaning, but it must be healthier to use than bleach because it doesn't leave any residue.  Just thought I'd share!  :)
Report Spam   Logged

| Lady, Cockatiel | Orrin, Peach Fronted Conure | Rylee, Sun Conure | Apple-Jack, Hybrid Lovebird | Keiko, Zu, Savvy, Pagosa, Krickett, and Rhaine, the Budgies |

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heartlets
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 16

Crowies!!

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:35:21 pm »

I've heard of using it too, but never tried it. I've also heard of using mouth wash. I've never used that either.
Report Spam   Logged

~*♥ www.corvid337.deviantart.com ♥*~-----(see my art and my fids♥)
~*♥ www.crowies.webs.com ♥*~-----(my wild bird photos)
luvmycadillac
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 8

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:49:11 pm »

I posted this on another question

As some of you may know my daughter was very ill most of her life. Without going into deep detail the last 3 yrs of her life she had to have a G-tube (tube directly into her stomach for feedings) I had to clean it with peroxide (actually 1/2 peroxide,1/2 H2O). The last 16 months of her life she had to be on a vent because her lower left lobe had stopped functioning properly. This meant she needed to have a trach tube (tube inserted surgically through her windpipe and hooked to a machine) her site was cleaned just as her Gtube was cleaned. But during weekly trach changes I had to "sterilize" her trach and it was done first by washing it with dawn dish soap them left to soak in peroxide (not watered down). When it came to cleaning her machines and the tubes I used vinegar for the vent tubes, and peroxide for many of her other "supplies"

All that being said if it was good enough for my daughter and medically suggested for the sterilization process its good enough for our FIDs. Thats my opinion. I think most ppl suggest the vinegar because its super cheap and you can get it in very huge bottles. Until the post on BC I had thought about using all the unexpired bottles I still have since her passing but didnt know if it would be "ok" because everyone says vinegar but it is what I will be using now. There is a reason medical professionals recommend peroxide for cleaning of our home medical supplies its because it works!
Report Spam   Logged
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:11:49 pm »

I use Peroxide at the rescue for cleaning. it works great, and there is no odor. Mouth wash is not good to use as it does contain alcohol and has a odor.
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: