Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 07:01:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

what is it with people not caring for there fids?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is it with people not caring for there fids?  (Read 306 times)
Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:49:18 pm »

got a couple phone calls today asking if i can take in their budgies. well i took two in and then after that i got a call from another person asking me to take her 2. i can afford to buy them and she wants 10 dollars for them. she said well i had a couple calls on them but i dont want them to go to people that dont know how to care for them would you please take them. i said right now i cant afford to take them because we had to buy bird food as of now i have 10 budgies and 4 tiels. i am trying my hardest to come up with the 10 dollars to get them out of where they are. the lady that has the two for 10 dollars said she cant afford them anymore and that her landlord said she has to get homes for a dog and some of her birds. she called me cause i know of her due to her needing bird help with training and such. what do i do? right now it costs me like 15 a week to feed the birds and i will not be getting them homes as i dont want to pass birds around even if they are just rescues. the only way i would do it is if my sister wanted them as i said before her tiels passed away. i need advice here people.  idiot2.gif
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

NH Bird Mom
Crazy Bird Mom
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 14

Phoebe

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:59:03 pm »

Oh, I wish I lived closer!  I would certainly take them.  Do you think your sister would take them?  It wouldn't hurt to ask her.

(What bothers me is the way that people think of budgies as throw away/give away birds.  If they want to collect something make it figurines not living things!)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:01:07 pm by NH Bird Mom » Report Spam   Logged

NH Bird Mom (Robin)
(aka-Kermitsmom)
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:04:36 pm »

Let me get this straight. She called you asking you to buy her birds that she needs to rehome? That just does not make any sense!  And you are struggling to find this money so that you can take in the birds that she needs out of her life? Once again, WTF?? You are not a rescue! You are not getting funds and donations for the birds you take in. If you do take her rehomes (or anyone elses) they should give you money that would help you with the expenses, no? Maybe I'm just not understanding the story. :P
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »

Mi Amore takes them in because she has kind heart, and feeds them out of her own pocket.  This "lady" knows she cares, and apparently is trying to take advantage of her goodness by making her pay for them.  Because she doesn't want to bother with them anymore, but knows she will, and would pay to get them out of a bad situation.  The lady has other birds it seems, and I think she just doesn't want the budgies anymore.  I don't know why, they are probably the least expensive and easiest fid to take care of....

People really underestimate these little birds.  That's a real shame, too.

Report Spam   Logged

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:34:23 pm »

Mi, that just sucks. You're stuck between a rock and hard place. >:(
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:47:57 pm »

If she needs to find homes for her dogs and some of her birds, why not just give them to her, knowing they will be cared for?  I don't get some people at all.  I would rather give mine to someone who would treat them well than to sell them to a stranger who may not be so great.  That's just how I am, I guess. angel.gif
Report Spam   Logged

Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:51:54 pm »

well my husband said that he will find the money to save them somehow. they are to be delivered tomorrow. they dont come with a cage. my sister is talking it over with her husband to see if she can have them otherwise i will be keeping them. my husband and i cant turn them away it just seems that once i rescued a pair of tiels and a couple budgies i am deemed a rescue to all now-which is fine except the fact that we dont have alot of funds to feed them. would i be a bad person to take these two in and then if we have to later down the road find them a loving home? i want everybodies opinions. and i guess she is giving up one of her dogs. i dont mind helping those that cant help themselves somebody has to. my mom asked me what i wanted for christmas this year i said well i would like 25 pounds of budgie food and a nice big budgie cage. she said well that is so good of you to put them first. she said she will see what she can do. my husband and i dont even have extra funds to really get christmas gifts and he gets a credit check for the store he works for but he works for menards and they only sell wild bird food and we arent feeding that to the budgies. he was thinking we could build a cage for them but we dont know what sort of wire would be safe to do that. i dont like asking for hand outs from anybody so this is really hard right now. does anybody know where we could get good quality bird food at a good price? i know that we can get the 25 pounds of seed for 26 dollars but i want pellets too. when i asked for help online to a freecycle place all i got told was sell them if you cant care for them or give them up. why would i rescue and just give them away to somebody we dont know? ok enough of me rambling.
Report Spam   Logged

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:21:49 am »

I am behind Deb concerning this issue.
Rescues do not buy life...and in my case I do not buy life or sell life..
If this person wishes to find a good home for those two little ones than she will give them to you and offer a bag of seed..

Arty
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:02:36 am »

well the newest members of the flock are here. they arrived a few minutes ago. she gave them to us with no seed but at least now i can go buy more. she called me at 7 am and said that she was on her way to my town and i gave her my address. we talked for a few minutes and she said that she had to downsize her pets because she lives in assisted living due to illness and she had to because of her landlord. she said she wishes she could have kept them all but cant afford to be homeless. she is trying to work with her landlord to be able to keep the rest of the flock and said that her lease is up in april and she plans to try and find a different assisted living place or something she can afford on disablilty. she said she loves her birds and wants to be able to be in a place where she doesnt have to give them up anymore. after they left i was talking to my husband. he said when our lease is up at our apartment and the cars are paid off we will be looking to buy a house and have a huge bird room. he said that ideally he would like to have a room just for the budgies and one just for out cockatiels so that they can all be out of their cages all the time except at bed time. like i said in an earlier post we are planning to open  an animal rescue in 2011 probably summer or fall since it will take time to get it up and running. i have been looking at houses for some time now to see if we can find something in the area as our families are here and with having 2 semi disabled parents and a brother with health issues and he has family that is disabled too we want to stay close by. our rent and car payments total 1000 dollars so when we move out we are hoping to be spending around 600-700 on house payments and taxes-well of course at that time will not have rent anymore and car payments. we are looking for at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath and would like a garage and would like a nice sized area to build a building if there isnt one already to house dogs and stuff. we also plan to build an addition off of the house for the rescue fids. i guess we are still dreaming of how it will all pan out but we just want to start looking so we know exactly what we want. there is a couple that lives about a half hr away that said they would like to donate time and labor and some building supplies to help us when we get the rescue planned out. the lady said her husband and herself have a small construction company and they would love to help out as they see a great need here. i was at our local animal shelter yesterday and they said the have had to turn animals away due to be over crowded so yes there is a need here. again sorry for rambling on and on.
Report Spam   Logged

NH Bird Mom
Crazy Bird Mom

Like my post 14

Phoebe

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:51 am »

I just don't understand people!   tickedoff.gif Least she could have done is brought a bag of seed.  Even if it wasn't what you wanted to feed them it would have been a nice gesture.  If I ever had to give up my fids due to illness or any reason I would try like hell to give the rescuer as much as I could towards their care.  Bless you, honey, and your hubby too, for all you are doing. angel.gif
Report Spam   Logged

NH Bird Mom (Robin)
(aka-Kermitsmom)
thetim53
Chief Adviser buffaloparrot.com
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 23

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:35:58 am »

Mi Amore, I think it is time for some tough love here.
It is obvious that your heart is in the right place but we need to get your brain there as well. In the past you have mentioned that your are on the ragged edge of not having enough money to but food for yourself and your fids. Yet you keep taking on more and more obligations. Your first responsibility is to the humans and animals you have on hand right now. Take care of them. If others appear on your doorstep you have to turn your head and your heart. Remember the First Law: You Cannot Save Them All. Continuing down the road you are on now leads you to becoming a hoarder. Stop taking in new animals until you can provide a stable home for the ones you have now. If people continue to bring you their castaways tell them no. You are not God. All you can do is all you can do.
Sorry, I do not mean to be nasty, but I think you need to hear that instead of all these encouraging posts.
Report Spam   Logged

Asha, 12-year-old Blue Front Amazon
We reside in Georgia
" I may be gone now, but at least I did not die as a damn Yankee!"

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:02:24 am »

Tim! you pulled the words out of my heart. Exactly.   
Mi, no one can deny your compassion.  You need to rethink your situation.
(((hhuugg)))
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:51:56 am »

Guys..Mi Amores animals will never starve..ever. She spends every spare cent she has on them and I help out when I can as she does for me as well. Times are tough right now but she makes due, struggles at times yes but who doesnt? I know you were not trying to be rude but we do not have a shelter that does birds around here. She is not bordering on a hoarder..cripes if shes a hoarder I must really be a hoarder. We do what we can to feed everyone and somehow its always managed...same with Mi. Now maybe im a bad influence here but somebody has to love the ones who are cast off and who better than someone who knows what they are doing and has love to give. $ doesnt buy love it buys food, did you know mi got a check for some money as a gift from her family...do you know what she did with it? She went and bought several pounds of food, and treats and asked if she could use my freezer to store it so she doesnt have to worry about that for a long time. So even though yes $ is tight dont judge, her fids will be cared for and if it comes to a point she cant feed them..Im across the street and I have over 100 pounds of food here that cna be loaned to her if need be.
Report Spam   Logged

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 12:07:17 pm »

wait wait wait!!! Tiff, let's not be so quick to scream "judgment, here." Mi doesnt need rescuing from us.  You can't reprimand us for giving our opinions when we've been asked for it. I'm not thinking ill of anyone. 
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:14:09 pm »

Debz I wasnt screaming Judgement, just saying lets not judge. Lets not turn a positive thing into something negative, she did what she felt needed to be done and I agree. We are all entitled to our opinions, i guess I feel the need to protect those who are close to me..and Mi is like my sister so I felt you should all know the rest of the situation before anybody got a negative impression. Not trying to stir things up here peeps, was trying to keep the peace.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: