Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 04:27:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Breeding plan scores some cheep thrills

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding plan scores some cheep thrills  (Read 174 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:15:16 pm »

Breeding plan scores some cheep thrills

BY GILBERT GARDINER
15/09/2009 4:00:00 AM

HEALESVILLE Sanctuary's threatened species breeding program has netted a record 34 helmeted honeyeaters, 30 orange-bellied parrots, 28 Tasmanian devil joeys and 15 mountain-pygmy possums.

Healesville Sanctuary director John Gibbons is astounded by the record-breaking results in light of the challenges posed by the Black Saturday ordeal.

"Our entire threatened species collection was evacuated for the first time in our 75-year history and, for some, it was during their critical breeding season.

"We all feared this may have compromised the programs but we needn't have worried."

The sanctuary has opened its $680,000 breeding centre for orange-bellied parrots to help combat their rapid decline. It's believed there may be fewer than 90 orange-bellied parrots left in the wild.

The federally-funded, state-of-the-art breeding centre was finished in time for the start of the new breeding season. "We hope to breed more than 30 chicks in the first year, providing a much-needed boost to the population," Mr Gibbons said.

"It's so important for us to be playing such an active role in saving some of the world's most endangered animals."

The sanctuary aims to restore threatened species to the wild through captive breeding and release coupled with habitat management and restoration.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:28:41 pm »

Its my opinion..leave the birds alone in the wild and there is no reason for captive breeding.
All that happens is this...breeders seem to think they are saviors....if not for us breeders these birds would be extinct....
NO...if not for you humans...no birds would need your help...think about it...live it...bottom line....
If ever there was a person that honors conservatory issues it is ME...but why the need for conservatory..... Control your numbers humans......leave the animals alone...they were here FIRST....

Look down on me if you must...the truth hurts.....

I love animals....all animals....I live to protect them...from YOU.....if need be....

When a Dove comes to you...listen to her cries....LISTEN...

Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:10 am »

At least they are trying to right a mistake that was made by humans. It sounds like they want the parrots to be in the wild as they were intended to be in the first place and the way things are in the world today the best way to increase the number of wild parrots is through captive breeding (which can be done with human interaction being kept to a very minimum thus keeping them more wild than not) Do you really think there would still be California Condors in the wild had it not been for captive breeding? Give credit where credit is due. Nothing can be fixed if everyone just stands by and does nothing to fix what we have created as a human race.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: