Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 09:55:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The bird of Peace-Circo maybe Salmonella

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The bird of Peace-Circo maybe Salmonella  (Read 88 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:23 am »

The Bird of Peace

Bill is a friend of mine from the Jacksonville Florida area, over the years Bill has helped many birds and calls upon me for help.
Bill is currently caring for a little female bird of peace that has either the Circo Virus or it could be Salmonella Poisoning.
Bill can not find Doxycycline in his area but did find a vet that had some biotics.

Here's a recent e-mail and my reply...

Good Morning Arty,
Well it has been touch and go for the last 14 hours. I went to the back porch yesterday about 6 PM and she was in a small box that I had put in the cage for her. When I looked closer she appeared to have passed..., her head was twisted back and turned upside down and under her wing. When I picked her up she still had a little life in her..., her neck was stiff but I managed to get it up right. I wrapped here in a hand towel and made here comfortable... I brought her into the office as it was dreadfully hot on the back porch. I sat and held her about 90 minutes and she seemed to be a little better..., so I decided to give her the water/salt/sugar mixture as I felt with all the heat she may be dehydrated.(just a couple of drops)..., Well she was weak but responded so I wrapped her in a small towel and propped her head up..., fully expecting her to pass soon.
Well..., she is still hanging in there..., I have been giving her a couple of drops of water/salt/sugar about every three hours through the night and keeping her comfortable. This morning when I went in the office again I thought she was gone but when I picked her up... she was still hanging on..., so I just finished giving her a couple drops of the water solution.(only a couple and very carefully) she swallowed them. I just wrapped her and put her back in the cage and she seems to be sleeping and opening her eye every few minutes. She is very weak and I'm thinking that her prognosis isn't looking too good. I think she is just very sick but trying to hang in there. She opens her eye every few minutes and if I'm not there she seems to freak out and flaps around..., but if I'm here, she just relaxes and nods back off for a little while.
I canceled my AM appointments and will stay here with her to make sure she is comfortable. Do you think I should add the medicine with the salt and sugar or just leave the water to re hydrate her in hopes that she will get better ???
Well I'm a little tired as I was up most the night so I'm going to rest while she is resting. I'll keep you posted.., keep her in your thoughts and let's hope for the best.(Smile)
Bill
In a message dated 7/31/2009 1:51:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tallship30@yahoo.com writes:

...lets pray for the best and she fully recovers...

My Reply

I know this is hard, but it sound like the bird is not getting any better and is suffering way to much, It maybe time to put her down Bill..
This so heart breaking...Birds protect there illnesses and by the time a person sees the animal needs help...most of the time its to late...
If possible either contact a vet or a wildlife center and ask if you can bring the bird to them, many times they won't charge...
This sounds really bad Bill, the bird is suffering to much...your efforts shine, sometimes we simply can't help...
I was loosing 3 birds a day here when a carrier brought salmonella into my loft, I lost a total of 16 birds before I regained control of the virus-poisoning, I had to bleach daily, and syringe meds directly into each birds crop for 10 days, I lost more than half of my rescued birds...
Be sure to wash your hands after each handling...
I just feel it would be best to put her down, she seems to be suffering so.
Arty

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, BDFF30@aol.com <BDFF30@aol.com> wrote:

> From: BDFF30@aol.com <BDFF30@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: Saving a Pigeon(Me Again!!!!...)URGENT...REPLY A.S.A.P, THANKS...(Smile)
> To: tallship30@yahoo.com
> Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 7:46 AM

Arty
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:26 am »

Please tell Bill thank you for helping this wonderful bird of peace , he has done the best he can for her,he has gone above and beyond then most would, for this I thank him.

poor little one  :'(
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:02:26 am »

So sad   :'(   But what a good heart your friend has.   angel.gif
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: