Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:32:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Caught in the act?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caught in the act?  (Read 234 times)
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:04:20 am »

Caden was playing in the bedroom today and that's where Basil and Baxter call home, when I went to check on Caden I could have sworn I walked in on B&B going at it. I'm not 100% sure, they have a 3 tiered toy and when I looked thier way Basil was at the top of the toy and Baxter quickly jumped off of what appeared to be Basil's back. Any other time I walk in the room they stay wherever they are in the cage. I also noticed that Basil was favoring her left foot once she moved to a perch and Baxter is a lot bigger than her so I'm wondering if his weight on her caused her some strain. She was good to go about an hour later and no longer favored her foot. Each tier is too small for the two of them to be on it at once unless stacked upon one another. So I'm pretty sure they were "gettin busy" but not positive  :-\  If they were it's kinda odd as Basil's cere has begun to turn back to normal from the brown it has been for mating season and they also do not have a dark corner or mating box. I'm a little iffy on what to do next, if they were in fact mating then where is she going to lay eggs? The grate at the bottom of the cage would allow eggs to slip through and she wouldn't beable to sit on them. Do I get a box, do I not get a box....questions, questions....ugh! I'm going to take the grate out tomorrow just in case. I'm thinking better safe than sorry. I was hoping they wouldn't mate and made sure there was no place to get them thinking about it in their cage, but I guess they just did what they wanted to anyway. If they did mate I've gotta let nature take it's course, it's just not in me to do the allternative... I've dealt with too much death already where animals are concerned and I just can't go there again and be the cause of death.  I'm hoping I was just seeing things and my mind was playing tricks on me  :D 
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:28:30 am »

I don't know if this is the case but sometimes my Conures will lay stacked on top of each other to snuggle.  Could be this?  I really would not worry about the grate and such unless Basil is a chronic layer or you think she is?  I would just let things go natural as of now and if and when there are eggs and you see stress of not being able to have a nesting place and materials then I would change things up..  Just an opinion and just keep an eye out for now ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:02:02 am »

I agree with gutterman (ha ha) .If you get a nest box, that may encourage them. Just get tham a room at motel 6, and call it a day pimp mama! :D
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:59:45 am »

I think they may have just been practicing what a pimp day would be like Jades  2funny.gif I haven't seen them going at it today but then again I was out all morning so who knows!

Thanks gutterman....hehe for the advice. Basil hasn't ever laid an egg before so think I can rule out chronic egg laying for now, never know with these females that get all "I just gotta nest" when breeding season rolls around. No stress so far, I'm just keeping an eye on them and don't want to encourage breeding so like the soup natzi from Sinfeld would say "No Box For You!" Most likely I was just seeing things, I've been so tired and worried and stressed with Caden having been sick that I'm just worn out and I know how ones mind loves to play tricks when focus is not on the up and up!
Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:52:41 am »

I know Soph. When I am really tired, I always hallucinate  kinky bird sex too.  O0
Even before I had birds....,
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:50:01 pm »

I'm willing to bet you saw what you thought you saw! :o

Did Caden see them too? :-\  IF he did, oh, boy...you got some 'splainin' to do! 2funny.gif
Report Spam   Logged

Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:13:35 pm »

Just tell him they were "wrestling"  ;D
Report Spam   Logged

St. Francis of Assissi

"Sunday" Conure - Bella
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:19:48 am »

Thankfully Caden was too focused on re-enacting scenes from Super Why while playing with his cars. If he ever does see it I think wrestling is a pretty good explination  :D Thanks for the escape clause Jades  AddEmoticons04239
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: