Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 06:57:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

There is hope after all !!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There is hope after all !!  (Read 476 times)
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:10:27 am »

I got this e-mail and article today and wanted to share it, this is from a breeder,who asked that I place this on my website, which I will be doing. There is hope after all for breeders to see the real issues we are facing !

Heartfelt Thoughts from a Reformed Parrot Breeder

by Tina Usher, The Parrot’s Perch, www.parrotsperch.com

I'm Tina Usher, and all of my life I have been captivated by all types of birds. First, I would
like to give you some of my history. I own and operate The Parrot’s Perch, a small homebased
aviary just outside of Chicago, IL. I have been breeding and raising Moluccan,
Umbrella and Medium Sulphur Crested (Elenora) Cockatoos, Green Wing Macaws and
African Greys.
My breeding pairs inhabit the upstairs of my house, with the
cockatoos and macaws in one room and the greys in the other.
Upstairs they have the advantage of fresh air and natural
sunshine. They get to see the dawn and dusk, the tree tops filled
with birds and can appreciate the sound of rainfall. They also
have their own stereo on which I play nature CD’s, classical music
and occasionally some soft jazz. I love my feathered children and
continually pursue giving them the best life they can have in
captivity.
I have never shipped my babies or sold to pet shops because I
always screened the potential new parents. Included with each
baby was a lengthy consultation on proper care, understanding
behavior and hands on training to learn proper handling
techniques. Even if they were experienced bird people, we still
covered everything to make sure we were “on the same page”.
Also, I am always available to my clients to answer questions or help guide them through a
difficulty. I feel that I brought these babies into this world and it is my responsibility to
make sure they are going to be properly cared for and have a much loved, healthy, happy
life.
As a responsible and devoted breeder for 27 years it is because of this great love that I
have for my birds that I have had a gradual change of heart about breeding. I cannot
pinpoint exactly how or when it started, there was no big epiphany, just an awareness and a
feeling that grew and grew. How can I justify bringing more birds into a world where…
. . . THERE ARE COUNTLESS UNWANTED PET BIRDS IN NEED OF LOVING HOMES.
Almost every day I receive emails and telephone calls from people who have decided to give
up their bird, hoping I’ll want it. I talk to them hoping I can help them to change their
minds, but so far I have had little luck. Many even call our two local zoos thinking they
would be thrilled to take their birds, and are shocked when they are turned down. I explain
to them that the zoos receive calls like theirs everyday; they operate a zoo, not a rescue for
all the unwanted pets. The zoos don’t even have the room to take in all these unwanted
birds. I try to help these people find a good home for their birds, by contacting friends,
clients and acquaintances to see if they have room to take in one more. Unfortunately now,
I have exhausted all my resources and have to refer them to the local rescues and clubs.
Sadly, our local rescues and clubs are bursting at the seams. They are filled to capacity and
are unable to accept anymore. I feel sad and helpless. What is the fate of all these
unwanted companion birds?
© Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved. The Parrot’s Perch www.parrotsperch.com
Page 2 of 3
Having become truly aware and concerned about the overpopulation of countless homeless
birds, I feel the time is now that I begin a new journey. So, for starters, The Parrot’s Perch
has decided to no longer breed the cockatoos and macaws. They have a permanent home
with me, I have just retired them. For now, during my transition I have to raise a few
African Greys while I pursue my dream of opening a desperately needed avian
rescue/sanctuary here in the Chicagoland area.
A few years back I began to realize my birds may out live me
and I need to have a plan for their future. Where will they go?
Who will take them and love and care for them like I do? I don’t
want to see them in the hands of an unethical breeder, stuck in
someone’s dark, damp basement. I want them retired and
living out their lives well taken care of and happy. In the past, I
had fleeting thoughts of this and did some research. I had
contacted Parrot Jungle and a couple of out-of-state sanctuaries,
but no one was interested in taking my pairs when the time
came. So the procrastinator that I am, I easily pushed it off to
the side to worry about later. This is another reason I am
pursuing opening a rescue/sanctuary: to insure the destiny of
my pairs.
Not only is there a crisis of the overpopulation of homeless
companion birds, but since I am a breeder, I thought about the
thousands of breeding pairs out there. I’ve noticed that all the
breeders I know of, myself included, are all “getting up in age”.
Thankfully, I am not seeing the younger generation getting into breeding birds, but…
. . . WHAT IS THE FATE OF ALL OF THESE THOUSANDS OF BREEDING PAIRS?
Where are they going to have to go? Who will or can take care of all of them? The rescues
that we currently have are filled to capacity with companion birds. These breeders are
mostly wild caught, up in age, not socialized to be companions, nor do they want to be at
this stage of their lives. Many have been maintained as mere money makers in large
production mills. They need somewhere to go to live out their lives when their owners get
too old or sick. We have brought them here. We are responsible for their well being. They
deserve to live out their lives well taken care of and happy!
Unfortunately, I can see in the very near future that we will have to euthanize the unwanted
birds like we do with our cats and dogs. There is public awareness about the cat and dog
overpopulation. WE NEED TO MAKE THE PUBLIC AWARE OF THIS CRISIS. We all have to
do our part to get the word out on this and now. Just as I have been predicting, I received
an email from a local bird club of a flyer notifying anyone interested, that a large factory
breeder in North Carolina has cancer and can no longer care for his parrots. He has
arranged to transport his birds to Florida to be auctioned off - not just a few birds, but over
500 large parrots! It also says that he has arranged with one of the national humane
societies in Florida to take the birds that are not sold. Well, what does that mean? Are they
equipped to take in a multitude of parrots? Especially breeder pairs that are not adoptable?
I doubt it, because who is? Does this mean that the humane society will “humanely
dispose” of them?
Everyone, in every aspect of this industry, needs to be made aware of this crisis of birds
whose people no longer want them or can care for them and that includes breeders too.
Bird enthusiasts need to get proactive in these areas; we need to inform the public so that
they are made aware of this situation. People need to know that there are rescues filled
with wonderful birds that need loving homes. They need to be aware of the option they
have to adopt a bird in need from a rescue, so they don’t unknowingly just run out to the
© Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved. The Parrot’s Perch www.parrotsperch.com
Page 3 of 3
pet shops and breeders to buy a bird. Most people are uninformed and don’t even realize
adoption is an option.
. . . WE NEED A PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN.
Most of us breeders love our birds and breeding and raising babies. I know I do, but at
what cost? With every baby we bring into this world, are we depriving a bird in a rescue of
a home? Are we, perhaps unknowingly, the major contributors to the overpopulation crisis?
Breeders…what will happen to your breeder pairs when you can no longer provide for them?
Have you made provisions for their future? Do they have a place to go? Someone willing to
take care of them for the rest of their lives? Or will your breeder pairs end up at a local
humane society to be “humanely disposed” of? I wonder if this is not already a hidden dirty
secret.
. . . BREEDERS NEED TO BE MORE BENEVOLENT.
The avian publications have regular monthly columns
written by experts on various subjects. There is a
definite need for a regular monthly column
featuring our rescue and sanctuary profession. It
could be written by a staff columnist featuring various
rescues and sanctuaries or by an owner of a shelter.
Articles could be written on topics such as: how they
started their rescue, how to start your own rescue, how
they run their operation, deal with the influx of birds,
maintain their birds, raise funds etc. The subject
matter would be endless. Occasionally I see a small
article here or there, but our rescues and sanctuaries provide an invaluable service to our
industry and it’s time they were highlighted. This will help to inform and educate the public,
as well as hopefully inspire others to get involved in the field of parrot welfare. We need
our industry’s publications to support our shelters by contributing their share.
. . . WE NEED MONTHLY COLUMNS HIGHLIGHTING OUR SHELTERS.
I have a friend who has a local nonprofit parrot refuge. I asked him why he doesn’t go to
the bird clubs and conventions and lecture on this topic. He said he has tried, but since
there are members of the clubs who are breeders, they don’t want to hear from him. I find
that shocking! The truth hurts so let’s just ignore it? Ignorance may be bliss for you…
. . . BUT NOT FOR ALL THE UNWANTED BIRDS THAT END UP AT SHELTERS!!
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

2ndChanceJr
RESCUER/ADOPTER
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 13

Me And my boy Syd

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:45 am »

What a great Article. We can only hope more breeders start to think this way.
Report Spam   Logged

My Zoo:                                     
U2- Kara U2-Sydney U2 Foster-Tish
Ruby Macaw-Poppy  Military Macaw-Major
Shepherd Mix- Mya
Shepherd/Rott- Rocky
Cats - Brat & Minnie & Angel
Ball Pythons- Monty & Buddy
DON'T BREED, DON'T BUY. RESCUE A BIRD IN NEED!
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:15 am »

It's nice to see a breeder decide that breeding isn't the way to go anymore and turning to the rescue side of things instead. I really hope this helps and other breeders really take the time to read it and decide to make a change.
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:00:04 am »

I posted this on BC we will see how long it stays  ;D please feel free to copy and post this anywhere you feel it may help.
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

my husband and i have been talking that if we come into some money soon we are building a rescue here in central wisconsin. we have decided that we are going to specialize in birds and bully breed dogs. we have decided alot of things lately. my husband knows my passion for animals and he said that he will do what it takes to help out the little darlings out. he said he wishes that there was a rescue close by and we would move there to be of help. my lease at my apartment is up next year we are deciding where we would like to move. i am thinking i would like to stay in this area if we come up with the money. until just a few weeks ago i never realized what a need it is for rescues for birds. when we get the rescue up and running i hope to be at that point by this time next year... i will be asking macawlover2 and bfids to be helpers. i know they would be.
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:12:35 pm »

This is such a great valuable article from this breeder.  It is great to hear from a breeder and this educational article is invaluable!  I will move this thread to the Breeding section and sticky this for all to learn.  I am so glad we can finally here something from the breeders point of view.  Thanks for this Chance and Tina Usher is to be commended for explaining her self and all the concerns she has ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 06:10:56 pm »

i am very glad that she has a change of heart. sometimes i dont think that people that are breeders realize what is really happening. i dont breed birds but i dont think i will. i have learned so much from everybody on here.
Report Spam   Logged

angelicarboreals
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 16

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »

The article definitely brought up a great point, speaking about the person who was retiring and needing to find homes for 500 birds- I have often thought about what will happen to all the birds that are currently owned by the baby boomers. Any piece of literature, any breeder I have ever spoken with online or in person has always fell in that category, and I think it is safe to say that most breeders are in the early 40's-60's range. This is probably due to many reasons, including that it takes alot of money to get started in any business, let alone bird breeding but it scares the beejesus out of me to think about all the birds that will be needing homes in the next twenty or so years.

I can vouch for the fact that any bird- ANY bird I say- can be found in a rescue/rehome situation. I pray that the parrot rescue situation never reaches the proportions of the dog/cat overpopulation that we are seeing now. I just saw the statistics from the surrounding counties that border the city in which the dog kennel/ rescue that I work is located, and the euthanasia rate in one county was 97% for the first 3 months of this year. 97%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just could not live knowing that the bird situation was the same- but %$@*!(@ I think that is where we are headed.
Report Spam   Logged

So many birdies.....so little time. :)
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 11:00:14 pm »

I checked out her website. I think she has definately seen the light. She has some interesting stuff on there.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: