Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:57:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Breeding box or no breeding box?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding box or no breeding box?  (Read 186 times)
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:07:52 am »

Things have changed a bit around here the past 2 days with regards to Basil and Baxter's behavior. I have a feeling they are working on making babies. I've noticed Basil spinning to impress Baxter and Baxter running circles around Basil. I also caught Baxter feeding Basil regurge today. Basil has also started picking on Morghan, which just mistifies me as Morghan is so much bigger. She has started pushing her out of the way at meal times and wants to eat first. Morghan moves pretty quickly, but if she doesn't Basil literally rides on her coat tails. Basil is also eating much more than the norm, she's diving in when veggies are served and eating more of them than before. So I'm left to wonder if Basil is all hormonal and feeling the need to have a clutch. If I remember correctly they won't lay without a box, but I'm not 100% sure on that one, they are acting awfully suspicious in the mating department. I haven't seen any mating yet, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened or will happen. Right now if she was to lay eggs there would be no place to do it but on the bottom of the cage and the egg would fall right through. I really don't want that to happen. If I get a nesting box for them it's going to create problems as well. The only place to hang it would be where the main door is and that will only leave the smaller doors where the cups go open. Also I think I would have to turn the cage around and face it towards the wall so it would stablize the box which would make feeding and cleaning difficult but doable. Also there is Morghan. Though she doesn't ever interupt the two when they are all lovie dovie with each other I'm afraid she might decide the box was for chewing and stress out the parents if they were to become parents. I know she couldn't fit in a budgie box but she might try. So that would leave me the option of either using the small cage that Basil was origionally in for them to use with the box or go get a new cage for them that is bigger. I really don't want them to be in the small cage it would be like going from Trump Towers to a Studio Apartment. What do you guys think I should do? I'm open to any and all suggestions, thanks  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 04:45:25 am »

All I can do is share my experiences.  Our Miah does not have a mate.  Before I eliminated her nesting spots she laid 14 eggs in 3 weeks.  This was very serious as egg laying for a Parrot can be very hard on them and could cause physical problems.  Once I eliminated these spots she only has laid one or two on occasion.  She never really paid much attention to the eggs and I will just take them out when she does.  Our Lovie Jane started plucking really bad because I eliminated nesting places and materials.  Once I added these back for her health she stopped plucking and yes they are having at least one baby.  Jane has now plucked herself really bad to provide down for the nest, so we are back to where we were I guess.  My hopes are that this will end after the baby is gone and hopefully only happens once a year or so as they were allowed to raise babies.  My own opinion is to curb any mating, nesting etc if you can.  I don't know much on this but thought I would at least share my experiences ;)
Report Spam   Logged
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »

Once you give them a breeding box you will open the doors for lots of breeding behaviors , and run the risk of chronic egg laying.
if you do decide to give them a box, then be sure to increase their calcium in take .
Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:18:40 am »

Thanks guys  :) Today their behavior has stayed the same as I described above. For now I'm just going to keep an eye on them and hope I do not find an egg at the bottom of the cage one day. If I actually catch them in "the act" then I'll most likely get a box for them. I'd much rather have them be comfortable and feeling secure than have them out in the open with eggs if things start pointing towards a definate in the baby world. Hopefully they are just having fun without "having fun".
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: