Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 04:12:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cricket

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 228 times)
chance
Rescuer
Hahn's Member

Like my post 15

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:14:26 am »

Seymour was the same way when I got him, he loved my son,he even slept in my sons room on a stand next to my son , then within about a month the real Seymour came out, and he ripped into my sons face with no warning, I have had Seymour 6 yrs now and he is still the same, He was out yesterday and everything was fine and then bam he bit into my finger, They are just very high strung birds,and the worst part is unlike other birds you don't really see the change in attitude coming with them,by the time you see it you are bit.
just remember do not respond to bad behaviors,if she is lunging or biting just place her in her cage and walk away, you only want to respond to positive behaviors, and make your response very fun and rewarding for her, lots of verbal praise and yummy treats. and I would also say with her keep her wings clipped at all times, they are really good at flying attacks  :-\

here is my guy

Report Spam   Logged

www.secondchancebirdrescue.com

What good are wings of an angle if they never get to fly !
Don't Breed , Don't Buy , Adopt a bird in need !!
angelicarboreals
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 16

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 11:07:15 am »

Wow, I had no idea that the sulphurs were the worst cockatoos when it came to unpredictableness. Lol, and all this time I have been very wary of Umbies and Moluccans. I guess I have been on both ends of the spectrum with a sulphur crested, Wesley is an angel other than her relentless screaming for my boyfriend if he is home and she is not on him. If it is just me and her she is fine to play on a playstand, but if her favorite person is home he better be catering to her, lol. Casey, my LSC2 that I kept from 2004-2005 was another story.

I do remember my lesser sulphur crested, and he was hell on wheels (I guess that would be claws  ;D). The worst bites from him always came when I was trying to put him in his cage- if I had him on me and got anywhere near his cage and he thought I was going to put him inside he would bite and bite HARD. I absolutely hated having to rehome him, he was eight years old when he left, but he would chase any male in my house in order to attack them. Casey (that was his name) could be sweet as pie when he wanted to, but he was destructive and telling him to stop chewing up something that he was not supposed to was another way to get bitten good. I was working 2 12 shifts a week at the time, and I remember coming home one night and Casey had broken out of his cage. In the time span he was out he got into the laundry basket and chewed a couple of shirt and a pair of JEANS to shreds, shredded a stack of magazine that were on the floor to bits, and ate the entire wood paneling that was around the window. I literally stood in the doorway with my jaw at the floor.

That was bad enough but the next day I had him out and walked by the door of my bedroom (where I kept his cage) and be bit me on the wrist through a fleece sweatshirt and there was blood everywhere. I could only imagine how bad it would have been if I had not been wearing fleece. To this day, other than Cosmo, that is the worst bite I had ever gotten, and if it would not have been for that fleece I am almost positive I would have needed stitches. I remember calmly tipping my hand to do the "wobble correction" and he fluttered to the floor. I got a dowel and made him step up on that and put him in his cage only for him to scream incessantly for the rest of the day. It was springtime, so I know hormones had something to do with it, but I just knew that I had went through enough. He had been abused earlier in his life by a woman's son who used to throw shoes at his cage and use a rubber band gun on him to make him hush, so I understood in part where he was coming from. (If you were putting your shoes on he had to be in his cage, because he would attack you if you had a shoe in your hand.) But then again, I was sort of new to any kind of behavioral problems so I just could not deal with him. (He was my second bird after Chico.)

At any rate, sorry to blabber on, I just wanted to share that I know what you are going through. The cockatoos can be so demanding, and sometimes your everything is not enough. I really hope that Cricket comes around for you, she is a cutie. I am crossing my fingers that it is just the stress that she is reacting to.

I am bummed that your paint got messed up- I love that yellow! We just bought a house (closing on Thursday) and I am excited to be able to finally paint, hang playgyms from the ceiling in the bird room, and have a freaking dog again! It sounds like you had your hands full with those kids.
Report Spam   Logged

So many birdies.....so little time. :)
luvmycadillac
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 8

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 12:00:57 pm »

Im bored and since this site loaded Im reading all that I missed and glad you responded yet again.

Her wings are clipped she had never in her life been clipped but before her coming home w me I made sure the rescue clipped her. She is on the playstand next to me dancing but she sure will eye me and anyone that walks by. No bites today lots of scratchs she hasnt left my side but trust me Im watching her out of the corner of my eye.. Biggest wish I suppose is that even though when Lacey came home to me she had issues I was hoping since I conqured a U2 I could deal w a sulpher that had been loved her whole life and she is as you can guess the harder of the two..

Anyhow here are two photos of her taken today with my cell phone not the best quality but even through the bites and not feeling "connected" to her I do care for her and hope (big hope i know) that we can connect and she cools her jets so she can be with us

Once again angel when you paint if you do any "colors" pls share photos. Since those kids messed up my yellow I might (just might) repaint another color when I can get the birds out of the house for a day (if it ever warms up) plus I plan on doing my kitchen I have put off for almost 4 yrs and the downstairs bathroom

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:50:27 am by luvmycadillac » Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 04:18:15 pm »

She sure is perty :)
Report Spam   Logged
luvmycadillac
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 8

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:51:47 am »

Looks of an angel attitude of the devil  ;D

The last 2 days she has been really good wanting scratches lifting her wing and not lunging to bite anyone (knock on wood)
Report Spam   Logged
zimbasmom
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 24

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 09:13:58 am »

Some how I missed this thread before, not that it matters much I don't think I could help you with any advice sounds like you are on the right track but I wish you lots of luck and patience, she is a beauty.

Report Spam   Logged

The difference between kids and parrots is that it's funny when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com
Home: Houston, TX
1 Loved Congo African Grey~Zimba
2 Spoiled Cats
Bunch of Salt Water Fishies
sophiemae
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 31

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 10:18:03 am »

That's great that she has been doing good these past few days. I hope she stays that way for you, maybe it was the stress of all those kids. I know I would have gotten a mean streak in me if they were in my house for a week from your tails of them. I don't know how you did it! Here's to many more happy days with Cricket  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Rachel: 10yr old Congo African Grey
Jimmy: 4yr old Peach Fronted Conure
The Three Stooges: 6mo old Zebra Finches
Crossroads: Unknown age Spangle Sky Blue Budgie
Chowder: 1yr old Opiliated Green Budgie
Georgette: 8yr old Black DMH Princess
Romeo: 2.5yr old White & Tan Siamese Mix
Home: Henderson, NV
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: