Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 05:16:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Change is Gonna Come

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Change is Gonna Come  (Read 113 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:17:09 am »

BrokenWing Chronicles
Change is Gonna Come

How and what changes will occur.....is up to you!

Lets take a look at change.
Cats must be sterilised, registered under new law

18/Feb/2009

By David Gear, Wanneroo Weekender

CAT owners in the city of Joondalup will have to sterilise and register their pets, plus prevent them from straying, under a law passed by the city council last night.
Owners will have to pay $10 each year to register their pets with the city and ensure their cat wears a registration tag at all times.

The law, which passed seven votes to five, also requires cat owners to ensure their pets do not enter “prohibited areas”, including some city parks and private property.

The maximum penalty for the owner of a cat found in a prohibited area is $1000.

Cat owners can also be fined $500 if their cat is found on private property and the owner makes a complaint to the city.

City officers will be able to issue on-the-spot infringement notices for up to 10 per cent of the maximum fines.

Cr Geoff Amphlett said the cat law would help protect cats, cat owners and the wider community.

“The issue of cat management must be dealt with by local government,” he said.

Cr Brian Corr said he believed public education would be more effective than adopting the cat law.

“I have a problem with 10-year-old cats being sterilised,” he said.

Cat Haven operations manager Roz Robinson described the law as a “visionary leap” and called on other councils to adopt similar laws.

“There is a cat problem out there. We have to euthanise around 7000 cats per year, so we’re delighted the City of Joondalup has taken this issue up,” she said.

Visit this site, read the replies,
http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Cats-must-be-sterilised-registered-under-new-law-/7519198/

Swiss Government Enacts Strict Pet Laws

Category: Animal rights • pet
Posted on: April 28, 2008 1:53 PM, by Benny Bleiman

UPDATE: Looks like the fount of wisdom that is The Time's Online lost a thing or two in the translation. Lucky for us, informed Zooillogix reader and sometimes D&D player, Dragon's Sorrow End, has set the record straight.

The government of Switzerland has passed the most comprehensive laws in the history of pet ownership to protect the well being of social animals. In hopes of creating an "informed population," the laws cover everything from guinea pigs to rhinoceroses. Here are some of the more interesting regulations:

- Dog owners are required to become qualified in a two-part course before legally owning their pets
- Professional fishermen must attend classes in compassion
- Aquariums cannot be transparent on all sides and natural light cycles of day and night must be maintained.

Read the rest here.
http://scienceblogs.com/zooillogix/2008/04/swiss_government_enacts_strict.php

The animal welfare movement must now demand that only sufficient numbers of suitable and sound companion animals to meet community requirements are bred; that control laws address all of the principles of responsible pet ownership; and that disposal of unwanted animals includes re-housing programs as the top priority with humane killing as a last resort.
(here in the USA, humane killings are a NORM).

The site
http://www.rspca.org.au/events/seminar2001.asp#01

The Domestic (Feral And Nuisance) Animals Act states the occupiers of any premises where a dog (or cat) is kept must not allow that animal to be a nuisance.

It is an offence to:

* Allow your dog or cat to wander around unsupervised in public.
    * Allow your dog or cat to trespass on another person's property.
    * Allow pets to litter in public places without cleaning it up.

Penalty: Fine

Dog owners
Liability for dog owners arises under:

* Legislation - penalties are attached for certain offences.
    * Common law - people who are injured or suffer damage as a result of your dog may sue for compensation.
(here in the USA, its common place to open the door and let the cat or dog out to roam freely, even under city laws that say not to do so).

The Link
http://www.liv.asn.au/public/legalinfo/neighbour/neighbour-Pets.html

One more time (for them), the many are ruining it for the few.
Even the Few will fight new laws that will strip there RIGHTS to keep and own pets.
In the time it took me to write this, over one thousand dogs, cats, parrots were surrendered to shelters and or rescue facilities, more than half of those surrendered will be killed.
One million companion animals will be offered for sale on craigslist simply because the owner doesn't have the time to spend with there pet anymore.
One million puppies, kittens, parrots will be offered for sale by the Back Yard Breeder.
Millions wait at Pet Shops.
Right now...as you read this...a fatal shot is being given and a former companion animal and now that animal is dead and thrown into the pile.
Does this not bother you?
There paying the price for your so called freedom and rights....there paying....
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:18:39 am »

Caring can't be mandated, and a licensing mandate will only end up punishing those who care. There are millions of compassionate people who provide abandoned cats with food, love, and shelter in their own homes. Others put aside their own needs in order to care for a beloved pet or make sure a shy and reclusive neighborhood cat has daily sustenance and medical attention. Still others work tirelessly to feed foster and rehabilitate feral cats and kittens, all at their own personal expense. For every one of these caregivers, mandatory cat licensing will exact a heavy toll. These people will either have to pay the license fees - or face citations, fines, penalties, and possible confiscation of the animals they love. These new burdens, inflicted on the very people who are doing the most to help cats in their communities, will force many to stop caring for these animals, or at least force them to care for fewer cats, with the net result being more cats left to fend for themselves and fewer people able to provide them with any kind of safety net at all.

The link
http://www.cfa.org/articles/sfspca.html

And this is the SCPA, do you think this POSITION statement is helping to end the suffering of the Feline?
The ability of the CARING people that feed feral and or stray cats has no bearing what so ever on the feral/stray cat issue, Caring seems to be fueling this debate.
Lets deal with the issue and only the issue, where do these feral/stray cats come from?
Very strict regulations on the breeding of these cats and cat ownership will address this issue.
But....But...my freedom and rights will be taken away.......and another feline is put to sleep, another feline is allowed to roam freely, and another female feline gives birth to a litter of 8 in the wild and contributes to the thousands that have already returned to the wild and are killing song birds by the millions.

Again, My ability as a Human, to be able to buy a cat cheap, allow my cat to roam freely (freedom to do so, no matter what the laws dictate)...must be preserved.
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:39:42 am »

I will fight to the bitter end to end there suffering at the hands of careless Americans.
Will You?
THERE IS NO GREATER WRONG, THAN THE WRONG MADE BY THE PERSON THAT DONE NOTHING, BECAUSE HE / SHE FELT THEY COULD DO SO LITTLE.
How do we take the lives of little animals out of the hands of careless Americans?
How many Hyacinth's do you see at shelters or rescue facilties?
Do you think maybe its because the careless can't afford to own one?
How many Parakeets and or Cockatiels do you see at shelters and rescue facilities?
Why do you think this is happening to them?
Why is it almost everyday there is a new bill put in place to help animals?
Do you think its because people are bored and need something to do, or maybe do you think (there's a serious problem)?
How many human (innocent) lives were lost due to the drunk driver before stricter laws where enforced?
How many human (innocent) lives fell silent from cigarette smoke before stricter laws were enforced?
When is it (there turn) the animals, the Parrots?
When?
Do we wait until its to late?
Maybe I should tell the Parrot Conservation People to stop trying to save Parrots in the wild, (it won't work, don't waist your time).
Is this the answer?

A story.
Sally sat reading the morning news paper, she was reading an article concerning a Mother that just lost her 13 years old son to a drunk driver, she read this Mother was asking for support to bring stricter laws unto the drunk driver.
Sally thought to herself as she placed to paper on the table, "god, that's terrible" and walked away!
There months later Sally's daughter was killed by a drunk driver as she walked home from school, now it seems Sally is angry, Sally is now striving to gain support to impose stricter laws that govern the drunk driver.....

Sally had the chance to make changes, but she walked away...

A story.
Jack gets up every morning and opens the door and lets his dog Ralph out to roam freely, Jack has had to go to the shelter once already to get his dog back, but...Jack doesn't care..
Cindy was walking with friends on her way to school when Ralph attacked her and her friends, Cindy was bitten badly and now was on the way to the hospital, the authorities were hunting for Ralph, seems Cindy will have to endure very painful shots if Ralph isn't found and checked for Rabies.
Ralph is scratching at the door, Jack lets him in, "Good Boy", Jack says as he lets his dog back into the house....

A story.
Jennifer looks at the African Grey parrot at the Pet Shop, "Are they hard to take care of", she asks.
"No, not at all, the seed is cheap, water from the faucet, and clean the cage once a week, nothing to it".
The African Grey begins to scream, he seems to scream all the time, the neighbors complain about the screaming, Jennifer takes the bird to a shelter, "Here take this bird, I can't deal with him".

Do I really need to go on?
This is the real world...
Tell me you can not see what is happening to all companion animals?
Tell me there numbers are not staggering?
No...better yet....TELL THEM!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: