Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:04:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Coqui Has Began Picking Her Feathers:(

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coqui Has Began Picking Her Feathers:(  (Read 209 times)
VTBirdLover

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:32:32 am »

I know the forum has been really quiet lately but I feel the need to share this with my parrot friends. My Coqui has begun to pick her feathers. :( I'm not sure what the cause is. She started on May 9th with about a dozen feathers. I thought maybe it was hormonal. She quit with only a feather here and there. Then she had another episode on May 18. Again, about a dozen feathers but then stopped again. She then began to pluck again this past Tuesday so I called the vet on Wednesday and we have an apt today at 2:30pm. She has picked everyday since Tuesday so I'm really glad I called.

I am beside myself and can not figure out what could be causing her to do this. I'm hoping I can get answers at the vet today.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 02:09:44 pm »

Oh No!!  shk shk I am so sorry to hear this Blanca! I hope the vet is able to give you some answers. Let us know how it goes  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:27:57 am »

Did you find anything out about Coqui's plucking? Hope the vet was able to give you some answers & can find a solution to help the dear girl get over this.  hugu

Roscoe started that same thing about a month before he turned 1 yr old & only did a small bit on his chest for about 2 yrs. Then it was a little bit more & a little bit more til he now keeps his whole chest & legs on the front plucked. Occasionally he lets them grow out a bit & then plucks it all out. I have come to the conclusion he just likes to pick at the feathers. He is the normal macaw and the only bird I have ever had who plucks. The other 3 macaws who have the degree of disability issues don't pluck. And in my personal opinion those 3 should be the ones who have every right to feel the need to pluck~~Go figure!!  think sad8
Report Spam   Logged
jules
my sweet jasper
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 20

julie

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:55:56 am »

Oh bless her Blanca, don't they cause us so much worry and stress? Fingers crossed with the results and its a hormonal thing  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: