Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 04:47:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

What Have I Got Myself Into...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Have I Got Myself Into...  (Read 361 times)
Pea
Maddy
Forum Artist
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 16

Always, Weasley. 2010 - 2013

Badges: (View All)
500 Posts One year Anniversary Poll Voter
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:51:08 am »

A few years ago, I was asked by one of my mom's ex-coworkers to basically be a godparent for her Congo African Grey, Grey Bird. If anything were to ever happen to her, or if she couldn't care for him anymore, she wanted me to take him.

Tonight, my mother told me that the woman had emailed her, wanting me to take the bird. This is something that I knew could happen, and have thoroughly thought about. I am very happy and comfortable with my flock, and told myself that I am at my limit of birds at the moment. However, I have thought about this, and I am going to make an exception for Grey Bird. I know I have a large flock, but I think that I am mature in my companion animal ownership, and I am confident I can handle it.

I don't know much about the Grey, but I will tell you what I do know. I don't know his exact age, but I know that he is older. I believe he is a plucker, at least he was the last time I saw him. His owner can not handle him, he is aggressive. I think she may get him to step up on a stick. I'm not sure how often he comes out of his cage.

I am going into this planning on working with him and keeping him, however, should things not work out, I will find another amazing home for him after I work with him. But the plan is the keep him.

I don't know how many people know this, if any, but before I fell in love with Cockatoos, an African Grey was my dream bird. I have done tons of research on them in the past, and am currently recapping information.

My mother  emailed the woman back and let her know that we are willing to take him. She asked her to call her so we can arrange things today.

I have been given awesome advice, but the more knowledge the better! So if you have any tips for me, I would be very grateful! (:
Report Spam   Logged

~The Sunshine Flock~
~ Jester Bean ~
~ Bellatrix ~ Dobby ~
~ Precious ~ Honey ~ Peatree ~
~ Harper ~  Abby ~
~ Angel Weasley ~ Angel Jacob ~ Angel Dudley ~ Angel Devynn ~ Angel Hermione ~

Custom Bird Art ~ madalync.com

Nov 2014

Jan 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jules
my sweet jasper

Like my post 20

julie

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »

Wow Maddy, what an honour to be asked and trusted to give a wonderful grey a new home, and hopefully permanent one. Isn't this what a god mum would do, and you did agree? You obviously knew you'd be eventually asked and thought it all through :)

As you already know a little bit about him, he can't be handled etc. So you know to take things very slowly with him, one day at a time. You never know he might well be different with you and enjoy being out more if possible, and may well step up on your arm. Do you have other big birds now or just Pea sized little cuties? I really do hope this grey can stay with you forever, you won't be disappointed if he does. I wish you all the best with him and look forward to hearing more  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:42 pm »

WOW  :grin:  You sound like your on the right track . I know you will be great  thumb
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:04:52 pm »

Congrats Maddy! I know how much you have always wanted a Grey and I am pretty sure you will do great with him. Look forward to seeing pics  thumb
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Pea
Maddy
Forum Artist

Like my post 16

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:18:08 pm »

Thank you everybody! I am so excited! We pick him up on Sunday. (:

Since I have posted this thread, I have learned more about Grey Bird. I learned that up until a few years ago, his owner did take him out and handle him, but then an accident happened that left him cage bound. Also she can still scritch him, and he enjoys it. I'm not sure if he is as aggressive as I thought....

Jules, I have a Citron Cockatoo, Jester. So I do have a bigger bird. (:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Report Spam   Logged

~The Sunshine Flock~
~ Jester Bean ~
~ Bellatrix ~ Dobby ~
~ Harper ~  Abby ~

Nov 2014

Jan 2015
Pea
Maddy
Forum Artist

Like my post 16

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:28 pm »

Since he has had his name, Grey Bird, since he was a baby, I can't and won't change it. Although he does get a full official name like all of my other birds. His will be Greyson Carter, but he will still be called Grey Bird. Just like Precious is Presley, but I only call her Precious. (:

His owner sent me some photos, but Tapatalk isn't letting me upload them. I will post them later when I have access to my laptop!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Report Spam   Logged

~The Sunshine Flock~
~ Jester Bean ~
~ Bellatrix ~ Dobby ~
~ Harper ~  Abby ~

Nov 2014

Jan 2015
jules
my sweet jasper

Like my post 20

julie

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:42:53 pm »

Of course you have Jester, you'll be fine with grey bird. I like his full name you have chosen, he does sound really nice Maddy   hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: