Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:19:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sad News!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad News!  (Read 540 times)
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:06:55 am »

Hi everyone, I have something very hard for me to say to all of you. It is with a very sad and heavy heart that  I will be rehoming my beautiful Opie, my Red Front Macaw. He will be going to a wonderful new home with someone I know who owns and raises parrots and will be sending me update photos and messages as to how Opie is doing with him. I am not going into this rehoming without great thought and serious consideration. And I will disclose my reasons as to why I must do this for Opie's sake as well as mine, my family's and Codie's.

All of you remember how long I searched for a macaw and equally how long I waited til Opie was ready to come home once I found a breeder willing to sell me one. Red Fronts are quite rare here in my country and are usually kept back for breeding purposes. I was so excited and happy to be getting my very own macaw. His breeder Shirley assured me she would hand raise him and socialize him to become a sweet tame member of my family. Well, once Opie was home it didn't take long to find out Shirley had lied to me and Opie was anything but hand tame or used to being caged for any length of time. He would pace the front of the cage constantly when inside no matter what I did for him. Once out he was impossible to handle without getting seriously hurt by him. Every member of my family bears scars from his tantrums of helping me get him back in his cage for the night. And this became worse as the days went on instead of better. I have come to the conclusion that Opie had not been hand fed by Shirley at all. Instead I feel he was parent raised and minimally handled by her on few occasions. Shirley was less than helpful when I asked for advice after Opie came home and began to act in his aggressive manner.

My dear sweet Codie was beside himself with all of this and seeing how Opie was acting. He has screamed non stop the whole time Opie has been home, refused to come out of his cage on many occasions and looked so sad to have this new member of the flock he did not approve of. During this time of adjustment with Opie, Codie has had to endure  moving into 3 different cages and to a different part of the house. All this in hopes Opie and Codie would be happier about the situation at hand. And to quell the complaints of my neighbors who mentioned they could hear my birds screaming and it was quite annoying. I feared they would report this and if so I would surely lose both my birds. Nothing I tried helped Opie's temperament nor Codie's unhappiness.

The last straw with Opie came a few days ago while he was out on his perch. For no reason whatsoever he flew over to me, landed on my head and began attacking me on my head & shoulders. He was biting me with a full on hate-like aggression. Codie was out on his cage and was livid with fear for my safety. He was screaming and attempting to fly to my aid. I had to have Tiegan and her friend who was visiting get Codie back in his cage before he and Opie connected. They then managed to get Opie back in his cage, but not without a few war wounds to show for it. This upset me so much I was shaking and I was in great fear that if I had been home alone the scene would have been very bad for me and Codie. This is the main reason I have decided I must let Opie have a chance in a home that is better suited for him as an aviary bird. Something I am not able to offer him and he seems to be most happy living as.

I hope you all can understand why I must do this. If there were any other option I assure you I would try it. But I have done everything I can possibly think of to make this work and it is just not to be. Thank you so much for all your support in this and please know that I have made sure Opie will be well taken care of. I was not about to send him off  with someone I didn't know or could be hurt by him.
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:29:46 pm »

Wendy I am so sorry that you are having to rehome Opie.   hugu I know how hard you have tried to work with him and make the transition to living with you work. I gave all the advice I could think of and none helped with him. And I have been so perplexed that this little macaw would be so hard to handle. I believe you are right, he was not hand fed and was indeed parent raised.  sadboy3

I so understand your need to let him go where he will be happy and live like he was started out to live with his breeder. The place he is going sounds very nice and I feel he will be just fine in that environment. Many hugs to you for doing this for Opie and not letting him go to just anyone who would have the same troubles you have endured.  hugu hugu hugu
Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:52:30 pm »

Thanks De! Your support and advice has helped me through.  hugu

It has to be the worst decision I have ever had to make, but, I know Opie will be far more suited to an aviary with other RF's, rather than as a pet. Shirley lied to me which I am not happy about at all. I was totally taken in by her  :cry1:
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:31:03 pm »

Wendy ,Im so sorry . Im trying to wrap my head around it . Such odd behavior from a baby. I have experienced the flying and attacking thing before with our E2 Sassy. If he hadn't bonded so well with Dave , he could not have stayed.I could handle  him bullying me and flying at my head . But one night he was out with Dave and he bit him good . Since then he is on a leash he came with when hes out at night. We can all enjoy him [and not worry about stitches] . I know how you must feel.Im so sorry you were not able to experience the wonderfulness of them . Ive had 5 and still feel the same way.I think Opie would have eventually bonded with someone in the house. Definitely was not handled much . I bet your ready to get your old Codie back  smile3 I think of him everyday . My calendar I got has two Yellow crowns for Januarys picture . Take care everything will work out.
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:18:30 pm »

I am so sorry for this Wendy! hugu I know this is a difficult decision made with a lot of consideration. It sounds like you are doing the right thing for all involved. Do you have any legal recourse in regards to Shirley?
Report Spam   Logged

garden squirrel
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 11

Search Level 3 50 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:25:55 am »

Very sad news wendy, but you did your best, and it is obviously the right thing to do to give opie a good quality life.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 07:42:03 am »

So sad things didn't work out. You must do what is best for you and your existing flock.   hugu
Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:52:42 am »

Wendy ,Im so sorry . Im trying to wrap my head around it . Such odd behavior from a baby. I have experienced the flying and attacking thing before with our E2 Sassy. If he hadn't bonded so well with Dave , he could not have stayed.I could handle  him bullying me and flying at my head . But one night he was out with Dave and he bit him good . Since then he is on a leash he came with when hes out at night. We can all enjoy him [and not worry about stitches] . I know how you must feel.Im so sorry you were not able to experience the wonderfulness of them . Ive had 5 and still feel the same way.I think Opie would have eventually bonded with someone in the house. Definitely was not handled much . I bet your ready to get your old Codie back  smile3 I think of him everyday . My calendar I got has two Yellow crowns for Januarys picture . Take care everything will work out.

Thanks Terri. It seems that Opie was parent reared and not hand reared. I was the one he had bonded with, but his attacks were getting worse by the day  2sadk The breeder who has bought him from me explained the situation. It seems that the only people who have RF's in the UK are breeders and the babies are never sold for pets! If they sell them, then it is only between themselves! i.e breeder to breeder. I am very upset over the whole situation. I saved long and hard for Opie and paid a lot of money for him and was looking so forward to his arrival! This really has been an eye opener for me in not trusting breeders on face value!

Codie has been through so much over the last couple of months and yes, I am looking forward to getting my old Codie back. He is very protective over me at the moment!
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:08:59 am »

I am so sorry for this Wendy! hugu I know this is a difficult decision made with a lot of consideration. It sounds like you are doing the right thing for all involved. Do you have any legal recourse in regards to Shirley?

Thank you for your support on this George. It was a very difficult decision, but, I know Opie is going to be far happier in an aviary with other RF's. When I think back, there were lots of signs that pointed to him being parent reared. i.e, he would not take any formula I offered him which I found very strange. Normally, babies who have been hand reared will take this readily. Opie just backed away from it! Also, due to him biting all the time I had to get him in and out on a stick. He stepped onto the stick without any hesitation. It was almost as if he was used to it, but, he always backed away from hands  2sadk

I have looked into the legal side of this and it seems I am going to have a hard job proving that he was not hand reared. Basically, it is my word against Shirleys! When I emailed Shirley about Opie's behaviour she did not even have the decency to answer me herself, she passed it over to someone else! I was informed by this person that they would take Opie back free of charge  shk This shook me rigid! I am also 99% certain that the pics she sent me during the last few weeks before I picked him up were not Opie!
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:18 am »

Very sad news wendy, but you did your best, and it is obviously the right thing to do to give opie a good quality life.

Thanks Dawn! I am pretty certain Opie will be happier in an aviary with other RF's!
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:12:29 am »

So sad things didn't work out. You must do what is best for you and your existing flock.   hugu

Thank you Sondra! The whole situation is very sad  2sadk
Report Spam   Logged

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 02:25:57 pm »

Does she have a Facebook page? If so, social media can be a very powerful tool in getting a more equitable outcome as most business owners do not want disgruntled customers driving away potential customers. Contact bird clubs to see if anyone else had a bad experience. Not sure about the legal precepts in the UK, but her e in the US, you can show a pattern of behavior to support a claim of fraud or malfeasance. Also, if there as any money or convertibles (Checks, money orders, wire transfers) mail fraud may be a viable option, again depending on the laws of the UK.
Report Spam   Logged

BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:04 pm »

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear things didn't work out! :(
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 02:55:38 pm »

Does she have a Facebook page? If so, social media can be a very powerful tool in getting a more equitable outcome as most business owners do not want disgruntled customers driving away potential customers. Contact bird clubs to see if anyone else had a bad experience. Not sure about the legal precepts in the UK, but her e in the US, you can show a pattern of behavior to support a claim of fraud or malfeasance. Also, if there as any money or convertibles (Checks, money orders, wire transfers) mail fraud may be a viable option, again depending on the laws of the UK.

I have looked to see if she has a FB page and cannot find anything! I have even looked to see if I can find reviews on her and again nothing  2sadk It is almost as if she does not exist! I have also spoken with a couple of breeders to see if they have any info on her and they have never heard her. This in itself is strange as most breeders of RF's know of each other!

I did send her a cheque for the initial deposit, but, the bulk of the money I gave her in cash when I picked Opie up! I will contact a few bird clubs and see what I can come up with.
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 02:56:46 pm »

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear things didn't work out! :(

Thank you for your kind words  :grin: