Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 04:59:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Parrot and Bird Books

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parrot and Bird Books  (Read 355 times)
tiffnmango
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Avatar Signature
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:33:20 pm »

So now that I work in a bookstore I'm gaining access to a BUNCH of parrot books, bird books and animal behavior books  :hehe: I'm afraid I'm spending too much of my paycheck there...

But I have read some pretty amazing books so far and would like to share my list of ones I've read so far for anyone (who like me) shares an unhealthy obsession for books on birds or parrots or animal behavior... (though I'm sure nobody on here does that laugh)

The way I see it is I'm getting  jump start on my research for my thesis  smile3

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin
Alex and Me by Irene Pepperburg
Gifts of the Crow by John Marzluff and Tony Angell
Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot by Barrons
The Conure Handbook by Barrons

Currently Reading:
Spix's Macaw: The Race to Save the World's Rarest Bird

PS I have a whole shelf of books in line to read so I will add them as I read them :)

If anybody has any questions about the books feel free to ask if your unsure if they'll really interest you. Just trying to share some great books!
Report Spam   Logged

Sept. 2014

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:08 pm »

Very cool [thanks for sharing].
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:37:00 pm »

What a neat place to get to work! You get to pick up all kinds of books when they first come out. thumb I will look forward to more listing you are reading. This is a very good thread and idea. Feel free to comment on any of the books you read and tell us a little about their contents too. :grin:

I do have Alex and Me, A guide to a Well behaved Parrot & The Conure Handbook. I'm one of those folks who want to read/absorb everything I can find on a subject I'm interested in. I love books that I can learn something from. I call myself an intellectual reader since I'm not into reading books that only give me mindless clutter.

I have quite a few other books on parrots besides these 3 you have listed. Internet is good for finding quick info on birds and other things when you need it like right now. Some info is not always right. It is only as good as its author. But I still would rather have a book I can hold and turn the pages on and come back to any time I want to. And I still love to fawn over the gorgeous photos of parrots I wish I had and know I'll never own. dmblaf
Report Spam   Logged
tiffnmango
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Level 3 Avatar Signature
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:23 pm »

I just finished this book. It was amazing. It is a book that any true parrot lover and conservationist should read.

It has definitely opened my eyes to the horrors of "collectors" and people who let greed take over their duty to work together to conserve a species that still to this day, is in constant threat of extinction.

It was heart-wrenching to read of the sole wild Spix who sought companionship and the need to procreate so much that he mated with what the book and locals to the area call Maracana. A bird of completely different species. My heart aches at the loss of these amazing creatures and wishes that money wasn't so important that people forget that we owe it to this planet to preserve and protect the very thing that allows us to live, the planet Earth.

I know it sounds like I'm on a soap box right now, but this book has definitely reaffirmed everything that I wish to do with my education goals. I just wish others could get past the "greed and bragging rights?" (not sure if thats the right choice of phrases), but you get my point, I hope.

I really, really think that all bird owners need to read this book and truly understand that sometimes we need to put aside our differences and opinions and do things to benefit the planet, and ALL its inhabitants.

I wish that everyone could just  grouphug and realize that ALL  :mgc:

-------------------EDIT----------------------

Re-reading this I sound like I'm on a soap box, and I guess I kinda was. I don't mean to bash anyone or to come across harshly, please forgive me. I don't want to change what I wrote, because I truly believe in the words I wrote, but wanted to add a disclaimer? of some sorts....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:56:29 pm by tiffnmango » Report Spam   Logged

Sept. 2014
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »

No worries Tiff. As a follow on, the captive population is doing fairly well with breeding groups at Al Wabra, Loro Parque, and the Philippines. CITES has granted extraordinary leniency in the transfer of individuals between the programs to encourage as diverse a gene pool as possible. And best of all, Brazil has dropped its legal challenge to establish ownership of these birds. This legal issue kept many privately held birds out of the breeding groups as there was a concern of legal forfeiture without recompense by joining the breeding programs.
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:36:46 am »

I haven't read this book yet. It sounds like one everyone should read as well to me too Tiff. Thanks for suggesting it and giving us an insight to what is going on with the Spinx Macaw's plight.

I do remember reading an article this year about a Spinx macaw that had been in a breeding program at a zoo in the US, but was never able to produce any live babies, it died this year. It was very sad to think of this poor bird being in captivity for many years and never getting to pass its genes on to the next generation.

Hopefully the breeding programs George has mentioned will have great success and they will begin to increase in numbers. The Spinx Macaw is a very beautiful bird and deserves to live free and healthy again in the rainforests of it homelands!  hugu
Report Spam   Logged
tiffnmango
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Level 3 Avatar Signature
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:24:27 am »

This was a fascinating book but unfortunately there is not a whole lot of parrot in the book. There are a few paragraphs regarding parrots.

However, if you are interested in animal cognition or animal intelligence this book is definitely AMAZING!! There are LOTS of examples of animals using different levels of cognition. It is grouped by different types of "intelligence."
Report Spam   Logged

Sept. 2014
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:53:34 am »

Aside from the ever popular "Parrots for Dummies" and "Parrot Owner's Handbook", I highly recommend "Parrotlopaedia A Complete Guide to Parrot Care" by Annette De Saulles and Neil Forbes (ISBN 978-1-86054-285-5) copyright 2003 reprint 2008. It is probably the best single source of information I have come across in many years. Topics include Anatomy & Physiology, Feeding, Behavior & Training, Care & Management, and much more. Additionally it has a pretty expansive glossary of terms relating to the health and well being of companion parrots so that a new owner can have some idea of what the Vet is rattling on about.
Report Spam   Logged

tiffnmango
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Level 3 Avatar Signature
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »

This book is a collection of essays about birds. Each essay is written by a different author and about a different topic/species. Some are about birdwatching, others about a particular bird. It was interesting to read about how birds shape so many peoples lives. There are a lot of cool facts about birds and birding in this book.
Report Spam   Logged

Sept. 2014
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 08:15:36 pm »

Thanks for sharing  this book title with everyone here, Tiffany. I will have to look this one up, sounds very neat and an interesting read.  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
tiffnmango
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Level 3 Avatar Signature
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!!!

I don't know if any of you have heard of this book, its fairly new. This author traveled all over the world to find examples of animals that suffer from mental illness. Not necessarily the same mental illness as humans but comparative. There are so many examples that its shocking. I read this book in 2 days, (I would have finished it the first day, but I had to work). It really will open your eyes to the possibility of mental illness in animals. I think this book is one that anyone with or around animals needs to read.

I can't recommend this book enough!!
Report Spam   Logged

Sept. 2014
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:49 pm »

Hmmm, very interesting  topic for someone to think of to study about parrots.  I'm sure there are many instances of bird mental  illness given the way they live totally the opposite of if they were still high in the trees of their native lands. sadboy3

A good one to read and understand  our beautiful flock  members better.  :okay:
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: