Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 01:56:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sassy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sassy  (Read 252 times)
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:01:51 pm »

So when this women brought out Sassy . I was like OMG [I thought it was a Ls2]. It was huge!! [she called it a medium Too [Ive heard of greater Toos or Tritons] But not sure what she is. Dave loves Toos so he was interested in her. She came right to him then checked me out . She had a little nip when she didn't want to do something [so I thought this wasn't bad]. The rope [on her leg] which we found out later was so she wouldn't fly and attack people  :eek:. We got them home ,now Im going to share the fun we have had  :eek2: the first day while I was at work she was out with Dave she flew and nipped Julia on the head [of course we took the rope off her leg]. While I was trying to work with her she would fly and land on your head and start nipping . So I thought ok we will figure this out. The next day Julia was cleaning the bathroom for me .We told her to let us know when she was done cause we had Sassy out. She peeked her head out the door Sassy flew at her. She shut the door ,Sassy marched back and forth in front of the door with her crown up. That night Dave had her out and she heard me in the kitchen . I heard OH NO and a lot of flapping . I hit the floor and put my sweatshirt over my head.She went right to me [I was screaming for Dave]. I felt she was on a search and destroy mission  :eek: By this time Dave and I said at the same time I bet its a male [ I don't know how we know but we do.} In the morning I was cleaning upstairs and Sassy had broke out of his cage. Saw me ,flew straight at my head and I dove under the kitchen table with the dog . screaming for Dave [who was in the bathroom].My daughter came in the kitchen [I yelled get a blanket and hide] . Dave came and finally found him. So he likes Dave [so Dave interacts with him]. One night he almost bit him through his hand [for no reason I could tell]. I think this birds mad !!! He was this ladys spoiled baby which isn't good to do to a hormonal male Too. I said "what are we going to do ?"Dave wants to figure him out . So we hide when he takes him out [and hes been good with Dave]. He broke out of his cage again one morning [and just cocked] Dave in the head as a fly by. He texted me at work and said he would be doing no Too rescues at 4am [when I get up]  :hehe2:  We are actually amused by this as a family [makes Pearl look like a saint]. I think it was good he landed in our hands [don't know what his fate would have been.] Now of course we understand what the rope was for. :eek2:
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:58:42 am »

Oh My Word!! Sounds like he needs a bit of a name change to Sir Sassy Pants. dmblaf

If it were me and in my small house I would have to opt for a mild wing clip to at least ground him til he came to terms with the house rules. It's going to be interesting finding out how you and the rest of your flock including the non feathered variety deal with this as he becomes comfortable with the new home. :hehe:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:04:11 am by Nakia » Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:23:05 am »

Oh my, Terri, you are very brave! I don't blame you for hiding under the table  :lol1: An angry Too is quite scarey! I hope you manage to work through things with him. I would love to see a pic of him if you can manage to do this without him flying at you  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:27 am »

Clipping Sassy's wings will NOT help because he already has the muscle development needed to fly. A trim, at this point, wouldn't have any effect unless it was a "severe" trim, and then it let him glide/fly low.

We did a severe trim on a tiel to stop him from flying out the door after our other tiel was attacked by a hawk. It didn't stop him from flying, just flying high.  Your Too weighs MUCH more than a Tiel, so do a normal trim, see how it effects him, then trim 2 more on each side, see how that effects his flight and repeat as needed until he just glides to the floor. For most people a simple trim is 3-4 longest flight feathers on each side (this is for the newbys on here).
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:59:47 am »

A medium sulfur crested cockatoo is more commonly known as an Eleonora Cockatoo Cacatua galerita eleonora. It is the smallest of the Sulfur Crested Cockatoos. The Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo ( a separate species) Cacatua sulphurea is also called the Yellow Crested Cockatoo and is smaller than the Eleonora, Triton, Greater Sulfur Crested, or the Matthew's Cockatoo.
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:17:19 pm »

Ok Grey ,I have to get pictures to know what this bird is [way bigger than the LS2, with a yellow crown ]. Today Dave wanted to take Sassy out in the morning . Julia was asleep in the den ,Dave told her not to move and put a blanket over her. I guess when she was asleep her arm fell out of the blanket. Sassys's crest went right up  :eek: Dave said- time to put Sassy back [ :hehe2:] Tonight Dave took Sassy out while I did errands and he was making  dinner. I called him to see if it was safe to come back in . While he was on the phone he flew to a playstand [like he knew it was me] and started hurling all the treats in the cup across the table!! Then he heard the car ,flew to the front room [where I could see him from the window ]. He was in the window hissing at me !OMG [ :eek2:]  Dave was impressed how smart he is .
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:27:44 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmm, she's claimed Dave. She also KNOWS you are afraid of her & you MUST get over your fear or you will have a serious problem. Simple for me to tell you this, but STOP REACTING. In your terms she is nipping at you, not biting you. Start carrying a large flat pillow with you, when she flies at you simply put the pillow up in front of her. If she lands on the pillow, put it down & walk away. (I'd make several & always have 2 handy so that if you have to put one down, another is within reach & have one on each chair, stool, next to end tables......everywhere!). No talking, no screaming, just walk away. Sooner than you think she will stop going after you. You are giving her some entertainment by reacting the way you have been & she is looking for more & better entertainment.

Once she doesn't go after you, PRAISE, TREAT.
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »

So the ladies are acting like Sassy's squeak toys.
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:46 pm »

Good idea ,ive got to find some pillows  :grin:
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015