Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 03:42:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Help and advice for biting new macaw please

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help and advice for biting new macaw please  (Read 361 times)
Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Badges: (View All)
Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »

Ok well... I've got an amazon too so have had parrots my whole life, I really reasearched and saved for 2 years for my first macaw. He was firstly with a elderly lady who became very poorly so her friend who is a male macaw breeder took him on, said he's been a pet and will ruin him breeding him so just wants to find him a good home. What attracted me is he is in great health/feather etc and advertised as great for first time macaw owner as incredibly tame and gentle. When he lunges at me I say a stern no and walk away and ignore him for ten minutes and try again. When I say no he copies me and mimicks 'no' and laughs! 🙈  When I first saw him he stepped up on me although was nervous. He knows step up in command. I totally understand it can take months if not years to trust and bond with a new owner, the old owner said he never spoke there but here he speaks non stop to me, I've spent hours sitting next to the cage talking gently to him feeding him his fruit and veg and nuts through the cage to gain trust etc. He comes out but doesn't move off the top of his cage, he keeps lunging at me in and out of his cage. I tried a head scratch and nearly lost my finger, everyone says don't show fear and back off which is very difficult when you know he means business so I asked him to step up, didn't back off and got bit badly. It's like he's never been handled before he freaks at being touched although doesn't seem nervous or unsettled here he sings, talks, runs down to the perch and gets exited when I come in but now I'm wondering if it's because he knows I feed him he's going to get food haha got so much time and love for this boy I'd love to share it with him I'm worried he will lose the tameness he once had and biting won't stop because he is scaring me tbh x
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »

Thank you x
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »

Hi , nice to meet you  smile3   Those males seem to be the lungers  ! I think everything your doing is the right approach . I would get him to step up on a stick [keep trying they can learn]. Get him away from his cage [and try interacting with treats and toys].I would focus on that [and not be trying to pet him. Its hard I know we all want to love on our birds. Your right maybe he wasn't touched that much and has to learn he might like it . I have a macaw and zon that came that way . Be real positive around him [keep visiting him through his cage bars]. Be happy with what hes willing to give .Im sure he will turn around for you. Don't give up ,Im sure hes doing a little testing. As I said stick train him so you don't have to worry about getting bit.
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:45:04 am »

Also baby steps with touching [before the whole step up thing]. Work on touching toes ,beak and head .  :grin:
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:43:46 am »

I was going to PM you, but decided it would be best to just put this on here. I know a woman who works wonders with Macaws, and any other "hard case" bird. She is not on this site, and probably wouldn't join as she has little time to spare for a board. Her name is Lyne Paulsen, and she is on Face Book  (   https://www.facebook.com/lyne.paulsen?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab    ). Lyne runs a rescue out of her home & usually doesn't keep any bird UNLESS it can not be re-homed due to behaviours. PLEASE connect with her and let her advise you, you won't be sorry. BTW, she's also a behaviourist.
Report Spam   Logged
Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:50:19 am »

Oh fantastic I've been looking for a behaviourist. Ok well today ie been out for 4 hours and he seems to have missed me. He LOVES pine nuts in moderation so I put some next to me on the sofa and he desperate to come and get them, he seemed to be asking me to pick him up and take him to the nuts and I'm very sure he wasn't going to bite the problem now is I'm too nervous to try which I know is really not good 😔 thanks so so much for all your help xx
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »

You're welcome. Let us know how it all goes and look forward to seeing more pics him  thumb
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:43 am »

Only 8 weeks x
Report Spam   Logged

Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:17:07 am »

I totally understand this is no time at all but a lot of advice I've had has said a bird sold as silly tame shouldn't be this way, I have a lot of freinds with macaws who brought them hardly tame and within 4 weeks they are doing great, I know each bird is different I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong, it's easy enough to say relax and don't be nervous but after being bitten quite badly it's hard. He comes over like he wants attention and even puts his head down for a scratch then freaks out and lunges at me nastily :(
Report Spam   Logged

Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:10 am »

Another think re: stick training, I've tried using one if his cage perches and also putting the perch I'm trying with near his cage to get him used to it, he's not having any of it he either freaks and flies off and I'm worried hel hurt himself or he attacks the perch I don't want to scare him and ruin the small bit of trust we've hopefully built x
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

Don't give up [keep trying with the perch]. You should see the hole in my couch from where my Greenwing was trying to get me  :eek:. Now you should see her [I cant keep her out of my lap]. I kiss her face and let her play with my toes. It took months
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:46 pm »

try wrapping the perch with twine so she can't see the perch. birds who are afraid of sticks are more accepting of a rope wrapped perch.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: