Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:51:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Hi all!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 494 times)
Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Badges: (View All)
Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:14:19 pm »

"hello2" my names Laura I'm new to the group and am a first time macaw owner of Cameron he's 3 years old ad has been with me around 7 weeks now were having some hiccups so advice is greatly appreciated :) x
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »

"hello2" Laura and  :welc: to BP! It is lovely to see you here  thumb

Cameron is beautiful. What sort of problems are you having? We have lots of Macaw owners here who will be  very happy to help in any way they can.
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:29 pm »

Ok well..... Lol. I've got an amazon too so have had parrots my whole life, I really readers he's and saved for 2 years for my first macaw. He was firstly with a elderly lady who became very poorly so her friend who is a male macaw breeder took him on, said he's been a pet and will ruin him breeding him so just wants to find him a good home. What attracted me is he is in great health/feather etc and advertised as great for first time macaw owner as incredibly tame and gentle. When I first saw him he stepped up on me although was nervous. He knows step up in command. I totally understand it can take months if not years to trust and bond with a new owner, the old owner said he never spoke there but here he speaks non stop to me, I've spent hours sitting next to the cage talking gently to him feeding him his fruit and veg and nuts through the cage to gain trust etc. He comes out but doesn't move off the top of his cage, he keeps lunging at me in and out of his cage. I tried a head scratch and nearly lost my finger, everyone says don't show fear and back off which is very difficult when you know he means business so I asked him to step up, didn't back off and got bit badly. It's like he's never been handled before he freaks at being touched although doesn't seem nervous or unsettled here he sings, talks, runs down to the perch and gets exited when I come in but now I'm wondering if it's because he knows I feed him he's going to get food haha got so much time and love for this boy I'd love to share it with him I'm worried he will lose the tameness he once had and biting won't stop because he is scaring me tbh x
Report Spam   Logged

Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »

Think I've done my signatures to big lol 🙈
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:38:57 pm »

VTbirdlover does all our signatures for us. If you post this in the signature forum she will be able to modify it for you. Here is the link to the signature thread...

http://buffaloparrot.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,13159.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Lau2111
Laulau
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »

Thank you I've messaged her I'm all new to this as you can see :) xx
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »

You are welcome. She will do a beautiful siggy pic for you  thumb
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »

Hes ,gorgeous!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:33:45 pm »

Welcome!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave s
Slave to macaws
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 2

Karma Second year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

Hi Laura . Try and not be intimidated by the size of ur bird .my b&g took over a year to step up and only when it suits her .i have a jave  tree stand that when they are out they go on .if you have a parrot stand try and put it near the cage and see if he will go onto that . And see how you get on .some birds are very territorial with there cage . :-)
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:41:51 pm »

Welcome to our flock here Laura & Cameron.  hi5 Cameron is a gorgeous boy!! He does look very healthy. Macaws are my favorite. loveuk

Give Cameron plenty of time to settle in and adjust to his new happy home. He's just gone through being rehome twice in a relatively short time and he's not sure right now if this will happe again to him.

Blue& Golds tend to do the lunge thing more in my opinion than the other species of macaws. It's kind of part of their personality. I have 2 Catalina brothers which means they are hybrids, B&G/Scarlet. My younger one Roscoe does the lunge quite often and he is very bonded to me and complete tame and can be handled. Angel his older brother does not lunge much at all. With Roscoe it is mostly bluff and I can tell by his demeanor and eye pinning when he means for me to stay clear. Roscoe is also the clown and full of himself.

You sound like you are doing very well with Cameron and giving him lots of close contact to get acquainted. He already responds favorably yo you and that is a great start to your new bonding relationship. :grin:
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: