Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 03:43:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Need some calcium suggestions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some calcium suggestions  (Read 267 times)
garden squirrel
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 11

Badges: (View All)
Search Level 3 50 Posts
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:41 am »

Pip me African grey is not the healthiest of birds since the fumes. As many know he has had two stokes and has only just recovered. Today I am seriously panicking he laid an egg ( did know he was female) . The shell is paper thin. Due to live too far from anywhere to get calcium supplement, I have ordered on line but will take couple of days to arrive. Has anyone got any ideas what can feed him to help out , until stuff arrives. I have calcivet  from bird care company which is out of date by 6 months , worried to give it to him because of that.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:46:41 am »

Eggshells are a convenient and easily absorbed source of calcium. just make sure to cook them either in scrambled eggs or bake the eggshells to kill off any potential pathogens
Report Spam   Logged

garden squirrel
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 11

Search Level 3 50 Posts
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:39 am »

Have spoken with nearest avian vet , and because any think that stresses pip tends to make him have serious problems, so they are reluctant to see him. He is munching away on scrambled egg as I write. I have never heard of tums so don't think can get here.  Thank you for your suggestions.
Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:09:29 am »

Hope the egg helps, Dawn. Codie loves scrambled egg with crushed eggshell in it!
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:09 am »

Almonds, either in the shell or shelled, just make sure they are roasted, also broccoli (raw is best, otherwise steamed). These 2 items are high in calcium, & you can feed every day. Start by giving 2-4 almonds a day for a week to build up the calcium then drop back to 2 a day. You will find that ALL birds prefer the stem on the broccoli as opposed to the floret, but give both. Please use only fresh, you can use frozen but fresh is better. Any antacid that doesn't have to be dissolved in water, & that does not contain aluminum is safe for birds, just watch the sodium content.   
Report Spam   Logged
garden squirrel
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 11

Search Level 3 50 Posts
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »

thank you ,will definitely be try all these ideas out. He is very fussy like most greys but they all be very good suggestions and will see what can get him eating.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »

I'm sure you feed at least some seed, take new veggies and wet them down and roll in seed, they will get some of the veggie while taking the seed off, works really well with steamed veggies. Almond butter also is higher in calcium, it's quite expensive though. I use rings that are concave  towards the center and fill the center with almond butter & give a light sprinkle of seed & hang or use as a foot toy. Our Cag LOVES these.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: