Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 07:18:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Does any one use those vitamin drops ?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does any one use those vitamin drops ?  (Read 226 times)
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:57:51 pm »

I wonder if are birds are getting everything their supposed to [with Harlow being ill]. I was even thinking of baking with some  baby formula in birdy bread for everyone. I wonder if the baking would cancel out its nutritional value  ?
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »

I think it would be okay, Terri. Will Harlow take the baby food from you without baking it?
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »

I wouldn't bake it, heat can destroy or alter many vitamins. Best to mix it in soft food. How is she doing? Any test results?
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »

Wendy ,I can feed Harlow with a syringe [was thinking about the rest of my flock]. Grey -Harlows not doing that good . Been in contact with her original doctor . Shes not responding to the Doxycycline [but its only been a week]. They are sending something else to try cant remember the name of it. Test results are not chlamydia but something thats acting like it or maybe even PDD. The medicine is making her not want food [so shes losing weight]. Im handfeeding her on a regular  basis.Shes trying to feel better [but shes just not]. She was like this 2 years ago [the doxycycline did work].but maybe im being impatient.Im at a loss [I just want my bird better]. In a way I feel good knowing im working with people who are doing everything they can.
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:07 pm »

Ask your vet about the vitamins, explain to him what you are feeding. Handfeeding formula contains vitamins & minerals, adding extra can be toxic to Harlow. Don't mean to be a downer, just have Harlow's and your best interest at heart. Hope Harlow starts improving soon.
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:33 am »

if she is dropping weight and its acting like PDD, ask for a solution of Metacam. Its an anti-inflammatory that can reduce dilation of the proventriculus. Also, schedule an xray to see if there is any dilation. I went through this with Scarlet earlier this year, it took a lot of time and money to rule out PDD.

Looking at her droppings, do you see any evidence of undigested food? Not to be gross, but you might want to run your fingers through a fresh "presentation" to feel if there is any granular feeling from undigested pellets.

Buy some Brazil Nuts or Macadamias and grind them to add to the hand feeding formula, adding high fat foods at this time will not hurt her and can help to stabilize her weight.

Good luck, I hope things turn around in short order for her
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »

Grey ,that's the stuff their sending me to try with her.I have been watching her droppings to see any food particles [looks like I have to be more involved with that.] Cause I don't see anything .They said her spleen was enlarged. But may remain that way from her being sick 2 years ago. Im trying to get her to eat anything she will.
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:00:42 pm »

Ask your vet about the vitamins, explain to him what you are feeding. Handfeeding formula contains vitamins & minerals, adding extra can be toxic to Harlow. Don't mean to be a downer, just have Harlow's and your best interest at heart. Hope Harlow starts improving soon.  I didn't want to use it on Harlow [but my other birds]. I always wonder if their eating what their supposed to.Some never touch their pellets.

Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: