Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:25:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Mush/Mash meal & Dehydrated dinner

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mush/Mash meal & Dehydrated dinner  (Read 489 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:42:39 pm »

Here are the recipes for my 2 staple meals!
MUSH/MASH MEAL: This recipe is a great staple for all Parrot species!  Even our seed eating Parrots eat this.  The way it is made is the key.  Some Parrots are picky or like just certain things.  The way this is prepared they have no choice but to consume other ingredients as well!  In a food processor add raw fruits & veggies such as Papaya, rasberries, beets, cranberries, pineapple, hot peppers, peas, Kiwi, Mango, Green Beans, pomegranate, melon, carrots, zuchini, brocolli, oranges, Figs, Tomatillos, Fava Beans, tomatoes, Assorted Greens..Etc.  The more variety the better!  Start by adding the juicy Fruits and Veggies for easier blending, and chop all veggies & fruits before adding to the processor.  Add a small amount of coconut(organic unsweetened raw), fresh ginger, almonds, flax seeds, raw pumpkin seeds & other nuts.  Add 2 cans of rinsed soy beans, black beans, garbonzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, black eyed peas Etc..  Add 1 cup of lightly steamed sweet potatoes and or pumpkin, and squash.  Process this with 2-3 bananas.  Add to the food processor.  Boil 2 eggs for 45 min.  Smash eggs with the shell and add to the processor.  On the side, cook according to the directions Buckwheat, Barley, Oats, Quinoa, Pearled Red Wheat, Pastini, thin egg noodles, CousCous, Cracked Corn, Rye, Amaranth,Whole Wheat, Spelt, Kamut and Brown Rice(Pre cooked).  Blend everything(except grains & pastas) into a mushy texture and mix well with the COOLED cooked grains and pasta.  Do not add the grains and pasta to the processor.  If you can find fresh sprouted seeds/beans add these to the already mixed mash.  You can add Cinnamon, Chipotle Powder, Ginger, Ancho Chili powder, Cayenne, Nutmeg and Ground Cloves as seasonings if you like.  Portion in individual zip-lock baggies & freeze immediately.  There really is no measuring requirements to this recipe.  Just learn as you go and prepare it the way it is easiest for you.  *Make sure the cooked eggs and cooked grains  are chilled prior to adding/mixing them with the processed ingredients.  Always remove any fruit rinds/pits, etc before processing into mush/mash.  *You may have to process multiple loads depending on the amount of Mush/Mash you want.  For our flock, a months worth usually takes me 6-8 loads in a large processor.  Remeber, this is with out the added grains & pasta.  If you add the cooked grains and Pasta while processing, you will have a hard time processing and will end up with a huge mess.  Just add the mixture to the grains/pasta and your Parrots will have a super healthy meal that they will love!

DEHYDRATED DINNER:  4 cups Grains & Pasta- Brown rice(instant), Quinoa, Buckwheat, Oats, Flax Seed, Pumpkin Seed, Barley, Pearled Red Wheat, Pearled Durum Wheat, Cracked Corn, Couscous, Fine Egg Noodles & Pastini.

1 1/2 cups pre-cooked/dehydrated Beans-Pinto, Navy, White Northern, Kidney, Soy..Etc

3 cups dehydrated Fruits/Veggies-Papaya, Mango, Pineapple, Coconut, Banana, Cranberries(Craisins), Rasberries, Figs, Grapes(Raisins), Sweet Potato, Greens, Lentils, Peas, Hot Peppers, Broccoli, Cabbage, Apples, Carrots, Beets, Zucchini, Tomato, Etc....  Chop or crumble into small peaces.

1 cup finely chopped Nuts-Almond, Cashews, Pecans Etc..

1 cup Brewers Yeast or Traditional Yeast

1/2 cup Raw wheat Germ

1/2 cups finely crushed Egg Shells

Spices-Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, Anise Seed, Cayenne, Cloves(Ground), Chipotle Pepper Etc..

You can add supplements after cooked and cooled if desired.

To Cook: 1 part mix to 1 1/2 parts water.  Microwave covered until tender.  Add more water if needed.  Let stand until all water is absorbed.  Serve at room temperature.
To Store:  Put entire mix into a Zip-Lock freezer bag & keep in your freezer.  Take out desired amount when ready to cook. *These recipes and its contents are copyright © 2007 -2010 BuffaloParrot/BuffaloParrot.com. All rights reserved*
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:32:59 pm by AdminBuffaloParrot » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

patti3birds
Proud mom
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 13

Soaring on the Wings of Love

Windows User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »

Bless YOU!!!...Thank You so much for the link :pray: loveuk peace dinner thumb party hi5 :wink: kiss2

Patti
Report Spam   Logged

Charlie- Green Winged Macaw
Peyote Tomas- Sunday Conure
Molly- Sun Conure

All Loved and adored By me: Patti

Axel--Feb 08, 2008-Jan 3, 2011** For whom taught me Bird Love**
Rose-- you too my sweet girl Dec 27, 2011
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:16:55 pm »

oooh, yummy! i think even my picky little twiggy would try those!
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »

Also an FYI.  You do not have to strictly follow these recipes, nor do you have to have as many ingredients etc.  Just do as much as you can, can afford, or what you have available.
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »

Here are also two links of photos taken while doing each recipe http://buffaloparrot.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,978.0.html and http://buffaloparrot.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,977.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: