Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 05:30:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Caboose, Caboose, Caboose

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caboose, Caboose, Caboose  (Read 291 times)
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »

When will you learn that climbing down your cage and managing to make it to the floor is a no-no? And then when I get up and walk over to you, why must you put it in overdrive and take off running? I cannot run bent over trying to get you to step up instead of run. I'm sure that makes for quite a sight. And I'm equally sure you are laughing your fool head off at me. This is what gets you put on lock-down. And no, dancing and looking cute will not cut your sentence time.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:27:23 pm »

Who are you kidding! Of course dancing and looking cute works on cutting my sentence! ..............oh wait, you're talking about your bird, not me.   ashamed   

He really is a hoot, what happens when you don't go after him?  I bet he's just curious about the house and wants to explore. " Hmmmmmmm, this looks good, CHOMP! Oh here's something I haven't seen before, wonder what IT tastes like! CHOMP CHOMP!! "  :lol1:
Report Spam   Logged
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »

Ha ,ha !!! It must be fun for him  :hehe:  [doesn't everyone want to be chased]  Wait till he adds in the kangaroo hops  :pink:
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:57:20 am »

Too cute!! I've read that they are always busy & on the go. They must be the most hyper parrot species from what I've read about them.  dmblaf Besides, what's so fun staying on my cage he is saying to you, Debra. He's thinking if it were so much fun, I'd gladly stay inside too.  :pink:
Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:47:59 am »

:hehe: they do say Caiques are hyper little souls  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 06:21:14 am »

roll  oh you havent seen ANYTHING yet.  :hehe:

in all seriousness, they get bored fairly easily. chances are he's already explored his cage inside and out so he's going off to find something else to do. does he have a play gym away from the cage? i'd try that, if he does. and if he doesnt, i'd create one. even something so simple as a window sil with some foot toys and a hanging toy hung from the curtain rod. the window gives ever changing stimulating view, and the hanging toy gives him something to do with his pent up energy, usually involving lots of flapping and squealing. i cant leave marley unattended on top of his cage for more than a couple mins, then he goes looking for adventure  dknow  so when you chase lil caboose you are giving the BEST form of positive reinforcement. he's not associating going to the cage with getting on the floor because that fun game of chase happens between the two events.

then there's my ollie. when he got here i spent a year teaching him that he was NOT allowed on the floor. after that first year he finally taught ME that he's NOT going to stay on his cage.

so maybe with lil caboose, think outside the box. put his cage in a playpen, or get one of those small animal pens that you set up on the floor and surround the cage with the cage panels so he can get on the floor but cant wander too far. or heck! get a couple cardboard boxes and cut them open along one side, then stand them up around the cage, tape the seams together with masking tape and voila! a pen that goes around the cage that even the most persistent caique cant climb.  this way when he gets off the cage he's still safe. unfortunately caiques are just too small to be allowed to wander the way i allow ollie to wander. its an accident looking to happen.  dknow
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 08:01:47 am »

I can so relate to the Caiques being too small to be left alone on the floor for long or if you aren't watching. That so applies to GCCs and Pionus too in my house! They are quick to disappear if you take your eyes off them for 2 seconds and can be stepped on as you are searching for them.  oh

When Peta was alive I had her trained to answer me when she disappeared on me and it was so easy to snoop down the chirps. Serita is too young to understand to call yet & the Ewok, Sierra is too stubborn to call to me.  headhammer It is just so much easier in some ways to have the bigger & really big feathered kids. Kinda' like the difference between having a kindergartener and a high school aged kid in the house. I'll take the high school age every time! It was my favorite era of life with my son Jory!  :grin:
Report Spam   Logged
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:03:06 am »

I think that is why he barbers and plucks his feathers. His previous home didn't give him enough socialization. I take that to mean attention. H certainly did not come with many toys. Not nearly enough for an active caique. This is why I have been allowing him out of his cage so much. Since he will only be here another week or so I will just keep chasing him when he climbs off his cage. I think I found his escape route and have moved the item he has been climbing down on. We shall see. lol. He has definitely settled in enough to let me know with bites that he does not like being told NO. He rewards me with these bites when I try to redirect his attention too. Once he has his mind set on doing something, he's going to do it or bite the person trying to stop him. He's really a funny little guy and I will miss him when he's gone. But I know I will get to hear all about him from his new Mommy.
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:20:04 am »

awww poor lil one. no wonder he turned on himself.  sadbigeye   i cant imagine that life  for a caique. marley has more toys and square footage of play areas than skittles, ollie, and twiggy put together.  not to mention his interactive playtime with me, like fetch.

so glad he's back to a family who can give him what he needs and deserves.  loveuk i have a special place in my heart for caiques.  :heart:
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 06:48:00 am »

The turd pooped in my sandal! I've got to clean it now. Luckily it was on the heel part and that is made of material that can be cleaned. At least he didn't poop on me for a change.  :hehe:
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: