Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 09:23:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Overpreening?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overpreening?  (Read 265 times)
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:28:30 am »

The more I watch Caboose the more I'm convinced that he is an over-preener more so than a plucker. He acts like he is itchy, but he's always messing with his feathers. His flight feathers are basically just the shafts. No barbs whatsoever on the upper parts of the feather. The lower parts are just fine looking like normal feathers. He was looking rather ratty until I gave him a bath.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with over preeners. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do for him? He is otherwise a happy bird. How often should I be giving him a bath? Weekly, every other day, daily? I have no experience with over preeners.

Anyone have any?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:48 am »

Yoshi is a plucker/overpreener too and on this is the advice the vet gave to me- Give him multiple toys to shread and preener type toys.  The more you can encourage to forage the better.  And you can shower him as much as he wants.  In the winter less since the heat is on but the summer if he wants one every day then you can give him one every day.  They do make a spray called Avi Soothe which you can try, however I found it useless with Yoshi, and the coating on the feathers that it leaves is less then desirable.  I would think it would annoy them and make them want to preen it off.
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:44:09 pm »

You can also mist him until wet with 100% Aloe Juice & water. Make sure it is 100% aloe as anything added will irritate his skin. Use 1/4 cup aloe to 3/4 cup of water. You can find pure aloe in most drug stores.
Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

ya Sondra, that is what is in the AviSoothe- aloe.  Vet gave it to me way back when Yoshi had that infection in his feather follicles and was nekked as a J-Bird. 
Report Spam   Logged

Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:50:17 pm »

Thank you so much for your ideas! I will look for the aloe tomorrow when I go to town!
Report Spam   Logged

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »

Caiques love to bathe. My two bathe every day. If I don't provide a dish suitable for them to immerse themselves adequately. they will use the water dishes...theirs, their neighbors it doesn't matter. Dry itchy skin could be related to dehydration which could possibly point to a kidney or liver problem. Only a visit to the vet with a CBC and Blood Chem panel can answer  whether there is an underlying physical cause. Until Caboose, I had never heard of a feather destructive Caique. I just cannot imagine what a Caique with a psychiatric problem would be like <shudder>
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:18 am »

I was thinking the same thing Grey. I forgot you have Caiques, Caboose is young too [for plucking problems]
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:09:12 am »

He's apparently been doing this for quite a while. She sent two bottles of pamelor (one dated '12 and the other dated last year I believe) and a bottle of some spray that had a prescription label on it (It was dated over a year ago). He just turned 3 in April. I don't have the funds right now for a vet visit for him especially for the blood work he most likely needs.

Terri -- if you want this done prior to him coming to your house you will need to send me some money and I can take him to my vet and have all this done. I don't mind taking him, I just don't have the funds at this time.

The way he looked prior to his bath and how he looked after his bath makes me think he hadn't had one in quite a while. He will be getting them more often while he is here. He shows no desire to bathe in his water bowl but tolerated being misted just fine.
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »

No thanks Debra ,Ill figure it out when he gets here.   :grin:
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 05:30:12 pm »

After I posted that he shows no desire to bathe in his water bowl, he made a liar out of me. I misted him then put him on his cage. I walk out of the room and then come back in and what was he doing? Yup, bathing in his water bowl.  laugh
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: