Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:15:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Did you know?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 316 times)
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »

Did You Know That a white fronted amazon not only is the smallest of the amazon species, But is the only one of the amazon species in which the adult male and female easily can be distinguished by external appearance.
Males have bright red feathers on their shoulders while females have green shoulders.
The juveniles have pale grey irises and less red on their face and the white area is replaced with smaller yellowish area.
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »

Did You Know That a white fronted amazon not only is the smallest of the amazon species, But is the only one of the amazon species in which the adult male and female easily can be distinguished by external appearance.
Males have bright red feathers on their shoulders while females have green shoulders.
The juveniles have pale grey irises and less red on their face and the white area is replaced with smaller yellowish area.

While it is true that the White Fronted is sexually dimorphic, it is not the only amazon that is.
 The Yellow Lored is markedly dimorphic, the female has no red or white on the head and no red on the wings and her dark ear coverts are less pronounced.
In the Red Spectacled or Pretre's Amazon, the female has much less red on her head as well as  less extensive scarlet on the carpal edge of the wing and underwing coverts.
The Tucuman Amazon male has most of the primary wing coverts red while the female will only have between 2-5 coverts red.
The Green Cheeked Amazon female has green lores as opposed to red in the male, and the red on the crown does not extend as far back as the male's which reaches well past the eyes.
 Salvin's females have less pink on the throat and less pronounced mauve on the edges of the head feathers.
 The Diademed Amazon is similar in that the female's head is less brightly colored than the male.
The Scaly Naped male has red on the wing speculum which is lacking in females.
 The Red Browed Amazon female has more yellow in the lores and the yellow extends down into the cheeks as opposed to the males where it is concentrated in the lores

While more subtle than the dimorphism of the Eclectus group, a significant number of species in the genus do display gender traits. All of these differences are published and referenced by Rosemary Low in "Amazon Parrots, Aviculture, Trade, and Conservation" Dona 2005.
That said, an experienced breeder can identify with good accuracy by looking at the shape of the head, the eyes, or a pelvic exam.
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:59:10 am »

Phewww George, that was a lot of differences in Zons.  :faint:

To us who merely enjoy our birds and don't breed with many examples to compare, they all look alike~~males & females~~in the ones that have slight differences. I would venture a bet that every parrot species has differences an experienced breeder or person who keeps several of the same can  learn to tell.  happyjack

Thanks for enlightening us to the more easily distinguishable differences. Our feathered kids are a true work of art in living color and still a mystery in so many ways.  yca :bluefrnt:
Report Spam   Logged
jules
my sweet jasper
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 20

julie

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:05:08 pm »

i did wendy. my rocky was a white fronted amazon, he was so sweet and spoke ever so softly, but he did have a loud morning and evening call   :grin:

i might be wrong but i always thought the babies had yellow which gradually changed to white :)
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:49:59 pm »

Oh wow, Jules, I didn't even know we had the WF Amazon here in the UK! I would love to see one  :grin:
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 04:29:59 pm »

I do think its neat the tricks breeders have in  telling the sex . A lot of the time their right    :grin:
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: