Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:35:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Hello from the Greys

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from the Greys  (Read 507 times)
alnoble89
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 8

Badges: (View All)
Poll Voter 10 Posts Level 2
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:21:55 pm »

My name is Amanda and I have 4 very different African Greys, 3 CAGs and a TAG. I love my sweet babies they are so awesome. 

I have had Cookie for close to two years and I rescued her with Kiwi.  Cookie is my TAG and she weighs 320g.  She is estimated to be in her 30's.  So Cookie had a pretty bad wing injury when she lived in her last home. I am not sure as to any of the details about it but it has caused a lot of issues moving forward.  She has a deformed foot, missing toenails, she is blind in one eye, she also has a picking problem under her wing with the injury.  She is completely flightless.  I love her so much she has done so much better here lately. 

Kiwi is a nine year old CAG and weighs about 430g.  He is 100% my husbands bird.  I am not sure about his background but he is very distrusting.  He is very smart as all Greys are and will talk to my hubby but  not so much to me.  I really just let him be my husbands baby.

Alice is about to be 3 and she is my newest addition. She came here and was underweight and tiny(I am thinking some of this could be from all of the changes going on in her life) however in about 10 days she has started to put on the grams so I am not sure how much she will weigh at this point. Most recently she was at 380g so still small for a CAG.  I once again don't know very much about her.  She seems to have came for a very loving home and was spoiled.  She is a plucker and we are seeing if we can resolve some of these issues but I am aware that it is not always possible.  She is really just now coming out of her shell and she definitely can not stand for me to be out of her sight.  I think she is going to fit in great with my flock.

Lexi is the baby I have had the longest and she is about to be two.  She is also my little chunk and weighs around 480g.  I hand raised her so I have seen her grow so much.  She is so spoiled and rotten.  She has recently started talking so much more.  She for the most part is my only open talker.  She has such a spunky little personality.  She is also my only flier at the time, ideally all of my CAGs will be able to fly. 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »

Does your vet say that there is maybe a bone poking Cookie where she is plucking? If it is can he do surgery? It's possible that she will at some point in the future open that area up if it's bothering her enough to pluck.
Report Spam   Logged
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »

Hi Amanda! It is so good to see you here! I have missed hearing about your greys. Please post pics of your babies for everyone to enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged

alnoble89
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 8

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:31:03 pm »

We haven't discussed that.  I know that there is so much scar tissue from the original injury that if she flaps and tries to fly which she does from time to time she will rip the scar tissue.  It is awful.
Report Spam   Logged
alnoble89
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 8

Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:48:19 pm »

I will add pictures tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »

Hi Amanda. Welcome to BP. It is lovely to see you here  clap

Yes, we would love to see some pics!
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

Welcome to the flock Amanda! hi5 So glad you & your adorable greys have flown in to the chatting tree here. Love seeing your fabies & have missed them as well. We definitely need lots of update photos of your feathered darlings. smile3

What kind of injury does Cookie have on her wing, like what part is missing? I only ask cause my Green Wing macaw Ruby Jewel is missing the folded part of her left wing which would be on us from our elbow to the fingertips. The male Green Wing bit it off when she was a day old from what the breeder said. When she first came to me at 8 1/2 months old it was not fully feathered and she did pick some of the feathers off that grew the wrong way when they would tickle her under the wing. She is almost 2 yrs old now and she only bites the one & two that grow straight out toward her chest now and the rest of the wing is feathered out & just as beautiful as her normal wing. I was so worried in the beginning that she would continue to pick at it til she would begin on the flesh, but luckily she moved on to just tending the wild hairs so to speak. Ruby Jewel will never fly either with this damage.
:twirl:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:21:54 pm by Nakia » Report Spam   Logged
alnoble89
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 8

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 09:00:55 pm »

She has her whole wing but the "elbow is where the break is and she cut the "armpit" area as well and that is where the scar tissue is.  She can't open the whole wing.
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:15:28 am »

Ahhh, I see why it bothers her so much. Not being able to open her wing fully I can imaging would be very frustrating to her.  hugu Hope Cookie continues to improve and heal inside & out.  happyjack
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:10:28 am »

hi5   and welcome!  smile3  so glad to see you here and i cant WAIT to meet your lil ones.  loveuk  i've always been fascinated with greys... as a matter of fact, when added my grumpy green guy (ollie) i had started out looking for a grey... but ollie touched my heart so i went green instead of grey.  loveuk  i think some things are meant to be, dont you?  roll
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »

hi Amanda ,I think its so neat you have all the same species . Sometimes I wish id done something like that [maybe in my next bird having life LOL}. My one macaw had a broken wing [I think) that he used to mutilate under his wing. He stopped when the put him with his buddy the female Macaw. I always felt bad thinking they couldn't understand the pain and were trying to fix it.
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: